1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethenet Connection Issue with Bolt+ and 5 Mini's

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mktomo97, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Jun 8, 2018 #1 of 11
    mktomo97

mktomo97 New Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Hi All -

Here is what I have going on:

The Tivo Support hotline hasn't been able to help me. I have a Bolt+ 3TB and 5 Tivo mini's.

4 - TCDA93000 Mini's
    and
    1 - TCDA95000 Mini Vox

It took me 2 days to get the new Mini Vox on my MoCA network. Basically it just started working after lots of restarts of both the Mini VOX and the Bolt+.

The Mini Vox is the only unit running the new user interface. (I was surprised that this is working like this)

The Second issue is I can not get my setup to run over ethernet. Honestly, I have been lazy (and am tired of scripted responses from a call center) and continued to run MoCA for the last year as it was the only way to get up and running due to a software bug that was causing issues running my setup over ethernet. I got this detail about the bug from the one time I got lucky and a Tivo developer called me from the US and not overseas as he was chasing down the bug. It was the only time I didn't get a scripted call center response from overseas.

I say I have been lazy as Tivo emailed me back on 3/21/17 that the ethernet bug was fixed if i was running software 20.7.1 or greater. Well when I tried adding the new Tivo Mini Vox last weekend... i decided to switch off MoCA to run an ethernet network... SPOILER ALERT: it didnt work.

I am technically savvy. My home network is solid and all my Tivo equipment is on the same gigabit network. I tried everything. Turned of MoCA... performed Re-boots, Power Disconnect/Reconnect, connect to Tivo service, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Sean

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  2. Jun 8, 2018 #2 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, the issue with a Mini VOX on TE4 while its host is on TE3 is a bug. It may change at any time.

Second, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish and what is not working.

3. Jun 8, 2018 #3 of 11
    mktomo97

mktomo97 New Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Hi Joe! Thanks for the note. I missed a sentence in the post. It was in my head... just forgot to type it. My second issue is that I can not get my Tivo setup to run over my home ethernet network.

4. Jun 8, 2018 #4 of 11
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    See, here's the problem. You say "my TiVo setup". That's not a clear explanation. Is it a guided setup on the host, or on a Mini. Any error messages? I guess your box is wired into your router? Your account on TiVo.com is ok?

My Mini VOX will no longer run Hydra without a Hydra host. They "fixed" it today.

5. Jun 8, 2018 #5 of 11
    mktomo97

mktomo97 New Member

Jun 2, 2018

Hi Joe - I'm sorry not trying to be confusing. I mean the physical setup of my tivos. Meaning when i have all my devices a wire (CAT6).... and switched off MoCA... my Mini's can't find the host Bolt+. I forget the exact error message.

Oh and my account is OK. Everything runs on MoCA fine. Well per you message i need to go test the one mini with the new UI (Hydra?).

basically... I'm trying to switch from MoCA to Ethernet and I cant get the Remote devices to find the host unless I run a MoCA network. I even have assigned static IP's to all the Tivo Devices. I can Ping them all fine.

6. Jun 8, 2018 #6 of 11
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ok, now I get it. I have a few Mini units. They get unhappy when the IP address of the host changes. Also, if your router has an IGMP option, turn it off. There is also a "reset" procedure that seems to help:
    Turn everything off. Power on the router. Let it finish. Power up the Bolt+. Let it finish. (I would run the network diagnostic test) Power up a Mini. Let if finish. Test the Mini host connection. A good starting point. I don't use MoCA. I don't use static IP addresses per se, I use reservations. Same result. But all my stuff except one Roamio and one PC use wireless bridges. Everything "thinks" it is wired. I have 99.99% reliability. My only issue is on the first of the month when I reboot everything. After that I never have a connection problem.

Leave the Mini VOX for last. :)

fcfc2 likes this.
  7. Jun 9, 2018 #7 of 11
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That would be IGMP Snooping feature and you definitely need to disable it.

Scott

8. Jun 9, 2018 #8 of 11
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Netgear calls it IGMP Proxying for some reason. I figure it's the IGMP part that matters.

Reading Wiki on both, the Proxy stuff is for routers. The Snooping part is for switches. I learn something everyday.

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  9. Jun 9, 2018 #9 of 11
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Good information!

Scott

10. mktomo97

mktomo97 New Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Hi All - Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply. I may try and play with this today and will report back the results... my network is a little different than the average one with a single router. I am running an edge router (model: ERPoe‑5) into a 24 Port Switch (Netgear: JGS524PE - 24-Port Gigabit ProSAFE Plus Switch with POE). I also have a few other switches in the network. All Netgear... but either 5 or 8 port but they do not have Snooping in the firmware admin screen. The 24 Port offers Snooping... so I will toggle that off and see if it helps.

11. mktomo97

mktomo97 New Member

Jun 2, 2018
    @JoeKustra FYI - Still running the MoCA network today dont have time to switch it... might try to next weekend. However the Tivo Mini VOX... just kicked me the downgrade message... :)

JoeKustra likes this.