"ESPN2HD doesn't work with CableCard"

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nathanziarek, Aug 17, 2007.

1. nathanziarek

nathanziarek New Member

Sep 1, 2006

Advertisements

So, ever since we got ESPN2HD in Milwaukee, I've been unable to tune it. All I get are "On Demand" ads non-stop. I finally broke down and called TW (eventually there will be stuff I want to watch) and got nowhere. "That channel doesn't even exist until the end of August"

Frustrated, I went to their website and found that, as I thought, it does exist. I mention it to the rep and she tells me that I'm going to have to have a tech come out. Earliest time is Friday at 7:30am.

Wake up early on Friday (part of my vacation, BTW) and the shows up right away. I tell him the problem and he says that ESPN2 doesn't work with CableCard. He double checks with his manager. Doesn't know why, just doesn't work.

I call TW again and she verifies. Also doesn't know why. And can't do anything for me. I'm paying the same amount monthly for HD but getting a lesser product.

I've been through the SDV thread, but didn't see any mention of Milwaukee (nor did I find mention of SDV on TW Milwaukee's site). Could this be something different? Should I attempt to somehow involve TiVo in the discussion?

Frustrating!!!

Nate

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Perhaps the channel map for the cablecards is not correct (maps the RF channel/sub-channel to the cable channel number).

Tune to ESPN2HD on your Tivo and then go to Diagnostics page and note the frequency that it reports for that channel.

Then try and get hold of a knowledgeable cable tech and ask them what frequency ESPN2HD is supposed to be on and then report the frequency that your Tivo is tuning to for that channel.

3. Goldwing2001

Goldwing2001 Goldwing2001

Sep 30, 2006
    Honolulu,...
    I have Time Warner here in Hawaii. I also was told that I would not be able to receive ESPD2HD with a cablecard.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The TW site for Milwaukee specifically mentions that some channels will not be available for cc customers. Sounds definately like they are using SDV for some channels.

5. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL

Advertisements

Comcast here in SW FL... I don't get 5 HD channels. I got everything else, including HD HBO and other encrypted HD ones. ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are two of the ones I don't get. They are trying to tell me that it's not going to work with the Tivo, but havn't given up on it yet. Luckily I have a supervisor who keeps trying to find out why.

6. cdp1276

cdp1276 Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Portland, OR
    TW here in Rochester and also doesn't come in with CableCard's. The channel was just added to our lineup this week.

7. adamsd

adamsd New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    A couple of months ago TW added ESPN2HD in San Diego. When tuning to that channel on my Tivo I get a screen telling me that I need a converter box in order to receive the channel. When calling TW they informed me that the deal they have with ESPN is that the channel is not available via cable card. There was no mention of SDV so I am not sure if that is the problem, since I do not think they are using SDV in San Diego yet. From the conversations with TW it seems like some kind of contract issue, which makes no sense to me. I notified the FCC thinking that something illegal was going on here. The FCC told me I needed to contact my local franchising authority, which I did last week. I still have not heard anything back from them. This seems like just another way the cable companies are punishing people for using cable cards and not renting their useless boxes. I wish Tivo would step in help out their customers.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    So I wonder what happens to users with the new cable boxes that use M-Cards?

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No problems. Those boxes are still equipped with the 2-way OOB communications needed for SDV, VOD, etc. The problem has nothing to do with Cablecards.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, it appears this isn't a VOD or SDV issue. If the channel is available, yet they aren't mapping them on CableCards, it seems it is a CableCard issue. At least, TW just doesn't want to allow CC users to get the channel it seems.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I guess I misunderstood what you were saying - I thought the implication in your post was that the new M-card boxes can't tune the channel either since it's implemented as SDV. This particular problem may or may not be related to SDV - I don't think it's been established either way yet. Seeing as it's TW however it wouldn't be surprising to find that it is SDV related.

12. showard594

showard594 New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    No ESPN-HD with cable cards? That is a deal breaker for me. I was going to get 2 boxes today at CC and I am glad I saw this post. Is it absolute? I live in San Diego and was all set to return my 2 HD DVRs and get cable cards installed. The rep said nothing about me losing 2 of my HD channels but then I did not ask.

un-w00t to Time Warner

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I don't think this is a nation wide problem with Time Warner.

14. Sprk Jonz

Sprk Jonz New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Orange, CA
    I live in Orange County, CA, I have a Series 3 and Time Warner Cable. TW confirmed for me that ESPN2 HD is not available to those of us without their boxes - just like everyone else has said on this thread. ESPN HD is fine, it's just ESPN2 that's a problem. Odd.

Ah the sacrifices we make for Tivo: no ESPN2HD (TW issue), no NFL Channel (TW issue), and no more NFL Ticket [ok, so I still have the NFL ticket cause I kept my old DirecTV box active without regular programming. But it's not HD and it's not hooked up to my Series 3 so I can't rewind when the Vikings make a great play]

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I get ESPN2HD with cablecards on TWC here in north Dallas. I watched some stuff on it this afternoon.

16. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Series 3 TiVo since the beginning. ESPN2 HD has been available the entire time with cablecards... Comcast in Jersey City

17. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    So that means that there will be two times this year that you miss Tivo. :)

18. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    S3 - Chicago - Comcast

All HD channels, including ESPN2, work perfectly.

19. mac23

mac23 New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    no espn2hd for me here on time warner south carolina, however here it is definitely an sdv issue. I also don't get espnclassic or espnu, also due to sdv:(

20. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Beat me to it! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D