ESPN "The Last Dance" Season Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murrays, Apr 28, 2020.

1. murrays

murrays Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Wow, I was shocked that there wasn't any discussion on this show already.

The only time I watched the NBA regularly was the Bulls during the Jordan years so it's fun to watch and remember the games with inside stories.

F***ing Pistons!

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I guess MJ didn't think his name was in the news enough anymore, eh?

3. murrays

Oct 19, 2004
    Ouch! Bitter much?

4. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I've only watched the first two but it's not just about the great plays and performances, but it's refreshing my faded memory on the soap opera between players and management. They're skimming over a lot of stuff pre-1998 and probably could have made it 20 episodes. It's already looking like the most acclaimed sports documentary of all-time.

jsmeeker and murrays like this.
  5. murrays

Oct 19, 2004
    Yep, not having internet or being in Chicago, I had no idea what was going on. I just like watching the games.

6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    It's some good stuff.

Fun to see the stuff about The Worm.

murrays likes this.
  7. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    People tried to get him to do the documentary for a long time. He finally agreed to do it on the same day the Cavaliers were having their victory parade in 2016. The people that see conspiracies in everything say he agreed to do it when LeBron was getting universal praise.

8. murrays

Oct 19, 2004
    Indeed, loved the "Hangover" type capture from Vegas with Carman hiding from MJ!

jsmeeker likes this.
  9. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I grew up in Chicago, am a lifelong Bulls fan, saw probably 80% of Jordan's games (alas, most not in person), and know the championship seasons and teams intimately. All that was from afar, though, as I had gone to college and relocated after graduation by 1990. So I'm kind of surprised how little I have learned thus far. Everything we've seen was reported back in the day, available even to me as a by-then out-of-towner. That's not to say I am not enjoying this, however; I'm enjoying it immensely. Gosh those years were fun.

The commentary now from people who didn't know this story, or hadn't thought about it for years, is kind of amusing. A lot of revisionist history being thrown around in the discussions of what we're watching in this doc.

10. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I wasn't a Bulls fan at the time because (see location). However, I am loving every second of this doc. Not only am I starved for sports content, but it's also legitimately compelling, hilarious, and entertaining.

11. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It's a great documentary. I'm glad the younger generation that thinks Lebron is the GOAT is getting a chance to see what Jordan was like in his prime.

cherry ghost likes this.
  12. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah this is very good an entertaining.

I have the Celtics Dynasty DVD set and watched every second of it, and probably seen every Celts (especially Bird) docu/show ever made.

I think any docu around MJ/Bird/Jordan is just awesome stuff, such the heyday of the NBA

13. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've heard a lot of praise for this series on various podcasts. I was all caught up in the Bulls during their second three-peat., especially during the playoffs. I doubt I could name five players in the NBA today though.

I finally watched the first episode today, and I don't think I really care. I think there are 10 episodes, and I just don't see watching 9 more episodes of it. I was really excited to watch this show after hearing people talk about it. Little bummed that I didn't get into it.

14. murrays

Oct 19, 2004
    I honestly think it gets a bit better...I remember the first episode being a little dry.

15. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Same.

16. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm loving it, but I grew up in Chicago during the Jordan years.

17. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I can see how people may not like this documentary. They are most likely either

A) Detroit Piston fans
    B) Jerry Krause's family

Series has been really rough on the Pistons and Krause. :D

18. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    I can't stand MJ - I'm not allowed to like him, being a Pistons fan. He was the best NBA player to ever play the game, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. He got away with a lot, but most NBA stars do. I don't agree with walking off the court the way the Pistons did then, but it was a different game back then. You can't compare it to the current NBA. The Pistons revolutionized the way the game was played (defense) and never got the credit they deserved. They were a bad call and bad play away from possibly 4. Damn, I miss those days (and sports in general).

cherry ghost likes this.
  19. murrays

Oct 19, 2004
    That sweep in ‘91 must still sting...no bad call or play to blame for that thumping.

But hey, “possibly 4” is pretty close to 6 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    Never stung at all. What stung is the stolen (bad) pass in '87 against the Celtics. Still hurts today. Losing to the Bulls never stung. Weird, now that I think about it.