ESPN HD Freeze and Stutter ONLY

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Mags, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Mags

Mags New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Hartland
    Does anyone have any insight into this? I've seen numerous threads regarding the HD TIVO having stuttering problems.

However, my problem seems to be only on ESPN HD - all the locals I get through the antenna, along with all other D* channels seem to be fine.

Any idea why I'm having this problem ONLY with ESPN HD? And to top it off, it only happens during regular programming, and for some reason, never during commercials.

It is pretty regular - it happens approximately every 2 minutes or so. Very annoying. Live broadcasts and if I have it taped on Tivo. ESPN HD only.

Help?!?

2. David Scavo

David Scavo Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Atlanta,...
    I am seeing this exact same problem as well. No such stutters on OTA (all my locals) or any other DirecTV HD channels.

It is very regular and quite annoying...

3. Mags

Mags New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Hartland
    I'm actually glad someone else is having the same problem (no bad luck intended)...

That means someone may have found a solution to this problem?? Anybody else out there know how to fix this???

4. jmsaurer

jmsaurer New Member

May 28, 2004
    Southern...
    Have same problem...

5. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    HBOHD was also doing this yesterday (Sunday Apr. 24).

My local HD channels were fine and some other DirecTV HD channels seemed fine. (I didn't check ESPN.)

Seems to have cleared up by mid evening.

I'm chalking this one up to a problem on DirecTV's end... for now.

6. Cheep

Cheep New Member

Nov 18, 2001
    Memphis, TN...
    Yup same problem, only with ESPN HD.

7. mpar1

mpar1 New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Ditto. Only ESPN.

8. TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Need to time shift!

Jun 20, 2003
    Maryland
    Me Too!!

9. TrainWreck

TrainWreck New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Campbell, CA
    Been having this on Local NBC station (Channel 11 here in San Jose) Tonight it migrated to CBS and ABC locals and nationals.

TWreck

10. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    On a local channel (received via an OTA antenna) the cause is almost always multipath.

What causes "ghosts" on an analog signal will cause a DT signal to cut in and out.

I was getting this really bad on my CBS affiliate one evening (and not on any other local). A line of thunderstorms was moving through the area at the time. I suspect the thunderclouds were causing atypical multipath characteristics at the time and perhaps lightning strikes were putting "pops" of interference into the signal as well. Under clear conditions, the signal from this CBS station is solid.

11. altan

altan New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    I'm having this problem on ESPN-HD tonight ("South Carolina @ Georgia").

The video will occationally "block up" or, less frequently, go black. Audio mostly seems fine.

Anybody else see this tonight?

Rewinding and playing the same part over always causes the problem to occur again.

... Altan

12. rs808

rs808 New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    It's been happening to me for about a week on ESPN. I'm not getting it as often as some but my screen goes black for a second about 4 times an hour.

13. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Did notice the ESPN2-HD though today in the channel listings. Channel #72.

14. Ragsy

Ragsy New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    I noticed the video stuttering on ESPN also. It also happened repeatedly on CBS high def during the US Open on both satellite and OTA. Not on SD channel however.

15. robn77

robn77 New Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Duluth, Ga. USA
    Check the signal strength when you notice the problem. I think I was getting the same problem with ESPN yesterday and when I checked the signal strength, it was showing that transponder bouncing between 0 and 80... with it mainly around 65-70.

I'm going to check out the strength today and see if it is a one time thing or not.

16. rs808

rs808 New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    The problem has to be on DTVs end because all my birds are coming in the mid 90's.

17. taterheart

taterheart New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Has anybody figured out this problem? I am seeing it on ESPN-HD, every 2.5 minutes. It's pretty regular, I've timed it.

18. Ragsy

Ragsy New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    ESPN HD is the worst channel I have for video stuttering. The problem is constant, every few minutes. While I have video stuttering from time to time on almost all the HD channels, ESPN is by far the worst. No ides what the problem is. I suspect part of the issue is on ESPNs end.

19. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    This is happening with all my HR10's also on ESPNHD and I think ESPN2HD. I'm convinced it's something in the data stream that the HR10 isn't handling correctly.

Has anyone else noticed that each time that the stutter occurs the live buffer pauses and over a few of these the pause time accumulates and you can be several minutes behind live viewing?

20. taterheart

taterheart New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Hiker,

I was just trying to confirm your observation on the delay to see if it fell behind, but it isn't stuttering now (I've been watching for 10 minutes). Maybe it's because it isn't broadcasting a HD program at this time. It's the World Baseball Classic (Venezuela/Puerto Rico) and it's showing in standard def.