eSATA & TivoHD (Is it possible yet?)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TokyoShoe, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TokyoShoe

TokyoShoe Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The title says it all:

Is it possible to activate the eSATA plug yet on TivoHD units? Anyone know if this has been discovered, or if it's gotta be patched in later by Tivo Inc.?

2. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Not yet.

People have been successful with swapping the internal drive with a larger drive however. See this thread.

3. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    And it's easy if you have a computer with a couple of empty SATA ports, doesn't take much time, you don't have to put up with cables to and external box, the external box, power supply to the external box, etc. My 500 gig WD bumped my HD recording time up to 70 hours. I'm happy. Plus the WD 500 was only 90 bucks shipped (newegg deal since expired but I'm sure there will be more.)

Gary

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    [​IMG]
    Upgraded with Seagate 750Gb DB35 using WinMFS (w/o Supersize option)

It took me 15 minutes to find a screwdriver that would fit the TivoHD, about five minutes to remove the existing drive from the Tivo, five minutes to find a spare SATA cable, two minutes to open my PC, four minutes to connect and backup the existing drive, four minutes to restore the image to the new higher-capacity drive, and another five minutes to install the new drive in the TivoHD.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    for those folks that are math-challenged.. that's about 40 minutes ;)

6. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    What is the supersize option?

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    By default, the Tivo software allocates ~10% of the drive capacity for Tivo promotional downloads. Spike2k5 recently added an option in his WinMFS upgrade software to eliminate that.

Had I used that "Supersize" option, I guess I would have around 108 HD hours instead of 98.

8. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Why didn't you use it? Seems to be a good option.

9. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    He just added that option to the software this past week. I upgraded before then.

I'm also still not clear on the consequences of the change. What happens to a "supersized" box when Tivo tries to download promotional videos?

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Spike said on the mfslive.org forums that there should be no issue. But had to know that without knowing more of the logic involved.

11. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I wonder if the 'SuperSize' option is the same trick WeaKnees has used to get more time on their upgrades.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    My question is what will happen when TiVo wants to save video content to that partition.