eSata problems - restarts, partial recordings, green screens

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jrpeterson5, Aug 3, 2007.

1. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi all...I posted this in the eSata FAQ and then thought they may not be the right place. So here goes:

Ever since upgrading externally with the Antec MX1 (using the eSata cable that came with the MX1) and a Seagate 500GB DB35 drive two months ago I've been plagued with sporadic restarts, partial recordings (interestingly always on the same program), and even a few green screens. :( I've done everything the FAQ says to do for restarts, and it's hard to say if it's made any difference. :confused:

My question is this: If I totally remove the external upgrade and do an internal upgrade only (to a 750GB DB35 Seagate drive) do you all think this will this fix these problems I've described?

Thanks for any input!

2. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    It's hard to pin point excactly why reboots, GSOD occurs.
    Some people have no problem what-so-ever and others have multitude of problems.

If you are not afraid of opening your Tivo Box, take a look inside and make sure sata cable and eSata cables are plugged in securely to the motherboard.

You did try a different eSata cables right? If the cable is bent too much it breaks.

3. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I actually did not try a new sata cable because I heard the one that came with the MX1 was good. I will try that this weekend. As well as checking the connections...which is a great point.

I may try your MFSLive v1.2 software and expand the internal 250GB image to the 500GB drive and complete abandon the external drive and see what happens. If this doesn't help fix the issue, am I able to "revert" back to my old setup (250 internal & 500 external) by repeating the kickstart 62 sequence?

Thanks for you help!

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I'd disconnect the drive and run with no expansion for a while - if the problems go away, then it is related to the external expansion. If that case, replacing the internal drive would probably work fine.

Keep in mind that eSATA is not fully baked yet, which is why it is not officially supported. So it may well be unstable.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Agreed.

That's not fair - there are far too many people with the combination that the OP has that are working fine to make that claim.

I don't have a 500GB DB35, but I do have a 750GB with the MX-1 (and the cable that came with the MX-1) that has been running flawlessly from about the third day since k62 process was noted on TCF.

Check the cable connections and move the MX-1 away from power sources.

6. dagnabber

dagnabber New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    In June 2007 I know someone that got an MX-1 and a Seagate 750GB, set it up and had no problems. Oh boy, I want one! I realize that other enclosures will work, but everyone is having such good luck with MX-1's I think it's got to be a no-brainer. Damn, MX-1's seem to all be on back order when I go to get one. Then I stumble upon them @ Best Buy, I thought, "man am I lucky or what?". Once at home, I had a heck of a time getting the TiVo S3 to see the new eSATA drive, but after awhile I get it to come up and after that, nothing but problems, artifacts, jitters, and green screens. I even trimmed the rubber on the eSATA connector that fits into the S3, it may have seated just a little bit better now, but I was still having problems. My equipment is all in a closet, and when going in there I noticed that the MX-1's blue light seemed dim so I just touched the power cable and it lit solid. Boy was I bummed, flickering power on an hd is very bad news. I immediately got an exchange MX-1 and all my problems went away, it came up no problem and it's worked perfect ever since. Just today the artifacts came back, but only after pausing live TV and then resuming, a quick reboot of the S3 took care of the problem, life is good once again.

Check the power where the cable plugs into your MX-1, make sure it's a tight fit and that the blue light doesn't get dim when you wiggle the power cable. Under normal operation the blue light does slightly flicker, but does not "dim".

131 HD hours or 1244 SD hours