Error trying to activate Netflix on Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Csander, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Csander

Csander New Member

Oct 20, 2006

Advertisements

Though I have been accessing Netflix on this machine for years, I can no longer do so. When I try to activate it I get a screen that says, "Sorry, this DVR cannot be activated". I first reported this problem to TiVo over a month ago on 8/18/18. They say it is a known problem and that they have escalated it to their software group for the fix. I have called back several times and get the same response "they're working it....".

Is anyone else having the same issue?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Did you do something to deactivate it as I'm wondering why you would need to activate it again if it's been working?

Note that I did try it on one of my S3 OLED's which aren't in use but still online and it did report an unexpected error when it tried to connect so maybe the time of Netflix on the S3/HD has finally come to an end. I've actually been surprised that it has lasted this long given the way these streaming providers upgrade their backend infrastructure and eventually drop support for earlier versions of their clients.

Scott

3. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    My HD it still intermittently working with it. Sometime I get the unexpected error message but then it will randomly start working again other times. Not sure about new activation though... frankly I'd be afraid to try since I still get through sometimes.

4. dbrown

dbrown New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    I have same issue probably starting when I reset my netflix password on-line. Have two support requests for 3 weeks without any progress. Anyone have a fix?

5. DocChaos

DocChaos Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Moline, IL

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD series 3 that I just pulled out and it's doing this same thing. I've forced connections, but wondering if the software needs updated.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Just checked and Netflix is working again on my S3 OLED and I was able to start playing a show in the queue. I did notice the menu says Video On Demand again where I thought that had changed to Netflix once they dropped support for the other options.

My guess is that anyone that needs to reactivate Netflix on their S3/HD won't be able to though and I doubt very seriously that this will ever be fixed.

Scott

7. brianph

brianph New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    CT, USA
    I'm getting this error on my Tivo Series 3. I don't know how it's been going for (as typically Netflix is accessed via Roku). Have removed all devices from Netflix (to reset that) and have restarted Tivo. Neither of those helped.
    If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve, please let me know. Thanks

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Wheee! well I am not the only one with this problem.
    I just added Roku/hulu/starz to my premiere TiVo in the living room and had to change password for Netflix (mostly because it had been so long since I tried to use it I couldn't remember it).
    Now the TiVo in the other room - my series 3 will not access the Netflix and tells me to contact TiVo support and reset all devices.
    Sigh. Not sure where to go from here but am glad I am not alone.

9. Apr 9, 2019 #9 of 13
    dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    As of about a week ago, my TiVo HD can't access Netflix anymore. When I click Netflix from the main menu, the please wait icon pops up for about 1 second then returns to the main menu. I've rebooted the TiVo and my router with no luck. Any ideas? It's almost like support for the app has come to a halt.

10. kdilo911

kdilo911 New Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I am having the same issue with my Tivo Series 3 HD. I went through all the troubleshooting and called support. After being on hold for a few minutes, I was told it was a known issue and was being investigated. I was given a case number and was told I'd receive a call or email when the issue was resolved. I would recommend that everyone who has the issue to call in and request a case number. I worry that the issue will be ignored unless a lot of users complain.

11. dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thank you. That makes sense. I should have done that in the first place. I would recommend everybody else experiencing issues do the same.

12. bobdec01

bobdec01 Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Did this ever get a resolution ? Just put a series 3 back into operation after a year or so and having same problem.

13. dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yes it sort of did, but not on a regular basis. This is clearly a TiVo issue as I've made no changes to my unit. I would say I can connect to Netflix about 75% of the time at this point, the other 25% of the time it just hangs and times out.