ER 2/02/06 "Body and Soul"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by atrac, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1 of 30
    atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I haven't watched this show for a long time, but the previews of James Woods in tonight's episode made me curious. Honestly, I was expecting a corny and "over the top" performance from Woods. I mean, isn't the cliche that if an actor plays a handicapped person he or she will win an award?

Well, after seeing Mr. Woods tonight, I'd give him an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series. He nailed this role. He made me cry. It was just as good as Ray Liotta's guest starring role last year on ER.

The episode itself was very well written and the structure of it made it quite interesting (taking the direction of the character development backwards). They also chose to take it subtle instead of banging the viewer over the head with plot details.

I'm glad I decided to check this one out.

2. Feb 3, 2006 #2 of 30
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Agreed. Finally a good episode.

3. Feb 3, 2006 #3 of 30
    coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Haven't watched it yet. I'm hoping it's a lot better than the Ray Liotta episode as that was one of my least favorite ER episodes ever. Call me crazy, I didn't like it at all.

4. Feb 3, 2006 #4 of 30
    JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I thought this was definitely one of the best episodes in awhile. I really like James Woods, and he was very good in this.

5. Feb 3, 2006 #5 of 30
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW

Advertisements

They should name a high school after that guy!

6. Feb 3, 2006 #6 of 30
    JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    This may have been the most boring episode of ER I've seen in years.

I love James Woods, but I hate it when they have a big name actor for one episode just to make an Emmy episode.

7. Feb 3, 2006 #7 of 30
    bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    I thought it was a great episode, well-structured, like a short story. The thing that held it together of course was the mystery about why Abby took such an interest in him. Only thing they could have done better is to bring this question to the front a little eariler - it was fairly late in the episode before it occurred to me to that ther might be an explanation other than her pigheadedness. Or maybe I'm just dense :)

8. Feb 3, 2006 #8 of 30
    coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I think this was a very boring and painful episode to sit through. I almost turned it off and deleted it before it ended. I think of these as "filler" episodes-they don't fit, only used for sweeps. Very annoying. I felt no connection to how he "touched" Abby.

9. Feb 3, 2006 #9 of 30
    Deekeryu

Deekeryu New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I enjoyed this episode. The acting by James Wood was very good. I liked the thing going back and forth from past to present.

The guy who got killed by the helicopter directed this episode.

10. Spire

Spire Fallen

Jun 6, 2001
    Everywhere...
    It was shameless Emmy-bait, but surprisingly effective. The flashback structure worked very well, and James Woods was fantastic. Maura Tierney, who is possibly the best actor on the show, was great too.

The one problem I had was the rapid-fire nature of his Woods' character's conversations with other people, especially Abby towards the end. There's no way he could get those words out even remotely that fast using just eye movements -- even using all the tricks in the book (stored phrases, predictive text, macros, etc.).

I understand that the ridiculous speed of conversation was exercising dramatic license for the benefit of TV, but I think it could have been done more realistically with just as good an effect -- or possibly even better.

What's it really like to communicate with a great mind with advanced ALS? Check out this Stephen Hawking interview from The Guardian from September of last year:

Return of the Time Lord

11. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    doesn't this show have any fresh ideas? last season i hope because i'll watch til the bitter end

12. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    I gave up on ER a couple of years ago when it became too much of a soap opera. However, I tuned in because of the massive promotion (including seeing James Woods on the "Today" show.)

I enjoyed it very much. Good acting and good story. Made me appreciate more how lucky I am to be in good health.

I'm also glad that they were able to keep all of the regular characters' personal "baggage" out of this episode. They can bring that all back next week when I return to not watching.

13. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    And the writers made sure his character got a mention in one of the flashbacks.

14. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Just to prove that medical dramas aren't above product placement, there was a well positioned sticker for Eye Response Technologies on that laptop that powered the computer voice & wheel chair.

15. S. Stiffler

S. Stiffler Just a member

Oct 6, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    'No Trake'...

ER is pretty good with their medical terminology and realistic situations, but I wish the computer or the person typing it (Woods) would have spelled trach correctly. Anyone catch that?

They do have a good medical advisor helping with the show. I was impressed when they mentioned using BiPAP as an alternative to intubation...Someone must know the difference between BiPAP and CPAP.

16. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Probably just quid pro quo for borrowing the rig. I don't imagine that a company like that is probably exactly raking in the dough, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

17. Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    I noticed it, but I thought it was intentional -- I figured the text-to-speech unit might not pronounce "trach" correctly with a long "A" sound, but that "trake" would be pronounced correctly despite the misspelling (my wife worked for several years as a rehabilitation engineer who set up systems like that for her clients, and she has a relative who uses one today. Intentional misspelling to get the right pronunciation is fairly common.)

18. dnemec123

dnemec123 Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Oregon
    This is how I took it as well. My wife and I thought it was a good episode too.

Me too! Me too! :)

Dale

19. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    I think that's probably right. Speech synthesizers can be amusing, like when they pronounce "Poughkeepsie" as "Puff-keep-see", or "Ibuprofen" as "Ih-BUPP-row-fen".

20. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    So, they never really answered it....after the $10 bet, did James Woods go back into the hospital for treatment, or did he still go home? And was Abby's skating at the rink an homage to his death or something else?