Epix on Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommage1, Apr 20, 2021.

1. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

I rarely use apps, am a DVR recordings type person. But for kicks tried loading some of the apps. Anything that requires a sign up or agreeing to privacy document I just canned. But Epix. Says it is "included with my subscription". This Roamio is a Plus and I am the original owner, purchased many years ago. I don't think I ever tried loading the Epix app before but may have over time. Anyway, it seems to work for me. I can watch things. On setting screen mentions Spectrum (isn't than a cable company?) and the email address is some strange gmail address (not mine). I've never had Spectrum, not even available around here Very strange, I will not "logout" as I'd probably lose it.

I tried loading Epix on my other Tivos. Shows locked when I try to play something and gives me a 6 digit activation code. I created an anonymous account on Epix (actually Epix Now) and tried entering the code but got error message. And no way to choose Tivo as a device to activate on the Epix site that I can find.

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    you must have gotten a refurb/return.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I suppose but should not be, I bought new, in regular retail box, looked new, direct from Tivo, and does not say anything about renewed or anything like that on my acct. It's been quite a few years since I bought it. If it is renewed I got ripped off as I ordered new. I researched a bit, read something about Epix with Spectrum being free on Tivo in the past. Kinda weird, doubt I will use it much as I don't stream, just interesting that it works with no subscription (at least not anything I signed up for). Was Epix free many years ago?

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    could a visitor have logged in using their credentials?

5. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

No. Unless someone broke in while I was not home and used my Tivo. But I'm not even sure how that works, looks like you had to have an Epix account, load Epix app on your Tivo, it gives you a six digit code (it still does on my other Tivos), then you enter the code on your Epix acct. But Tivo does not seem to be an option for devices on the Epix site anymore, the codes don't take.

Bought this Roamio new back in August 2015. I SUPPOSE I could have loaded up Epix sometime in the past but no way the email address I see is anything I would have created, wonder if it is some generic email address. There is no name or address, just email address. I have Comcast on this box, only cable co that has ever been on it (unless Tivo pulled a fast one on me when I bought it). Epix CHANNELS are available on Comcast but not in my package, says not authorized if I try to watch the actual channels. Seems there is a thread here on the Epix app when it first appeared on Tivo. May have to read through it, says something about it being free on Spectrum. Wonder what would happen if I tried to login to Epix site using the email address. See if it even exists, of course I would not have the password.

New Epix app | TiVoCommunity Forum

6. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    A family member has a Plus on Comcast also. It is a refurb as Tivo replaced it once over the years. Next time I visit I will try loading the Epix app. If it works I will see if the email address in settings is the same, if so must have been generic at the time. Interesting regardless.

7. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    And I just looked at the email address. It is @gmail.cpm not com, weird.

8. humbb

humbb Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Did you ever participate in a TiVo beta test group? They sometimes distributed group login credentials to test newly developed apps in the past. And they were valid for extended periods afterwards.

tommage1 likes this.
  9. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, access to the Epix app used to be included for free with Spectrum Internet but I thought that ended awhile back. I've had Epix this year (through their standalone/non-cable Epix Now app) and enjoyed the British period drama miniseries Belgravia. I'm currently watching season one of spy thriller Condor (which had previously aired on AT&T's Audience Network on DirecTV and Uverse TV) and it's good too. Season two is supposed to debut later this year, I think. They have quite a lot of movies too.

10. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Wow, definitely a head-scratcher as to how the Epix app on your Roamio ever got authenticated to begin with. Here's Epix's help page with regard to the Epix (not Epix Now) app for TiVo:
    EPIX | Hit Movies, TV Series and More

At any rate, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Somehow your TiVo has been gifted with free access to a service that normally costs 6 bucks a month. Enjoy!

tommage1 likes this.
  11. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes it is. Current way to sign up is load Epix on device/Tivo, get a code, then enter the code on the Epix site (have to have an account). If it was the same way back then I have no clue how it happened on my device. Not like someone can login to an Epix account and just add the Tivo, requires the code given by the Tivo which expires in like 10 mins. I checked the Roamio at relatives house, does not have it, Epix is locked so would require code activation which no longer works for Tivo. So it is not just some generic thing, is specific to my Tivo I guess. I will check that link.

12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Hmm, don't think so but might have at once, could have been anytime in last 6 years and for what test I have no clue. Thought I was on a waiting list so I don't think it ever got as far as me actually doing any testing.

13. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah, I read about that during some further research. But I've definitely never had Spectrum internet (or any Spectrum service, they are not in my area.) So am still stumped. My sub is definitely tied to Spectrum in some way since it actually says Spectrum on the screen. Unless somehow tied to the cable card itself, who knows where it has been over the years though I got it from Comcast of course. Or gateway, did get that used, I own it, not rented so could have been used with any internet over the years.

14. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    I don't think I ever used the Epix app on my old TiVo before I sold it, but I do believe (though I'm not at all sure) that earlier versions of the Epix app on various TV-connected devices used to let you log in directly, using your user ID/email and password. But now it looks like the Epix and Epix Now apps on TV-connected devices exclusively rely on generating a code that you then enter into their website or mobile app for authentication (which is actually easier than typing in a bunch of characters with a TV remote on an on-screen keyboard).

tommage1 likes this.
  15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I can’t remember how I activated the app on mine originally. In any event, Spectrum removed Epix from its most expensive tier which I have. You now have to pay extra for it. Epix let the app still work for quite a while after that and I used it occasionally. At one point it let me watch ep 1 of a series and said I’d have to sign up and pay when I tried to watch the second ep. Bye bye.

tommage1 likes this.
  16. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks for all the input on this. Bottom line will probably never know how my specific Tivo got authorized but as Nash says "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Maybe Mxyzptlk did it ;)

17. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Epic is still one of the few still supporting TiVo, Watch Pennyworth and War of the Worlds.

tommage1 likes this.
  18. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I may do that. Pennyworth I am getting first season from library. If there is a second season will watch on Epix if my free subscription sticks around. War of the Worlds not available on DVD or Bluray yet so will probably watch on Epix. Am a big fan of the original movie. The remake not so much. There was another WotW series too, I have some of the episodes on Tivo, Was on H+I awhile back.

19. humbb

humbb Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Don't forget "Laurel Canyon" if you're into the 60's/70's music scene. (Says this Boomer)