Epix app = Does it reqire cable provider?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Davi8r, Feb 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Davi8r

Davi8r New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    I use Tivo OTA. I'm not sure if the Epix app is usable without a cable provider. Upon starting the app, the screen says to select Tivo as your provider. But Tivo isn't listed. (Note: I have an Xfinity card in my Tivo box that I'm not using and should de-install). The app also instructs me to log into my account. Which account - Tivo or Epix? I tried setting up a free trial with Epix but ran into the same roadblock: It wants to know my provider but Tivo isn't on the list. I know Tivo isn't a provider and I realize I might have read the announcement a little too optimistically. I thought Epix could be used standalone like Tubi. Maybe not, hence my question to the community.
    Thanks,
    -- Dave

2. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Epix does not offer stand alone service. The app won't work with Comcast even if you subscribe through Comcast.

3. Davi8r

Davi8r New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Thank you.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Doesn't apply to you, but Spectrum internet-only subscribers also get access to Epix, even if they don't have cable TV service. And your Spectrum login works on the Tivo Epix app.

I've also seen a lot of overlap in content from Epix and Amazon Prime Video. Don't know if it's just coincidence, but they appear to share the same content source. So subscribing to Amazon may solve your problem. Spot check a few titles and see.

And Pluto has a huge, free on-demand movie library now with titles about the same caliber as Epix.

5. Davi8r

Davi8r New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    I signed up for Sling Blue which has the older Epix drive-in movies with a $5 add-on available for all of Epix.

I agree with you about Pluto. It's free and has a broad selection of programming. I enjoy their newsfeeds and, as a pilot, find their weather 'channel' to be better than the real thing. Besides, who can argue with MST3K being on 24/7 - especially on a rainy day :)

Of course, one needs something other than Tivo for Sling & Pluto. I have a Roamio and a Bolt, plus a Premier that is currently inactive. My one Tivo wish is that they'd do more with streaming apps.

-- Dave

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Sounds good.

Even though I've had Epix for maybe 6 years, I've never found a single thing to watch on it. But I'm old and have seen just about everything. Post back if you find any gems.

7. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Have you tried the "Get Shorty" series. I liked it a lot. I had Epix long enough to watch all of them then canceled. I'll sign up again when a new season starts.

8. schatham

Mar 17, 2007