Episode Sequence Sort Order

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Craigamuir, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1 of 13
    Craigamuir

Craigamuir New Member

Apr 8, 2013

Advertisements

Within a season pass item folder, the only possible display order is the sequence in which the DVR recorded them. For most series, this order has little utility. The default order should be newest to oldest original air date (or season/episode #).

Whenever we record 25 or more shows in a syndicated series, watching them in the original air sequence is typically critical to understanding the programs. TiVo offers them up instead in the jumbled TiVo entry sequence that forces you to examine the info display on each entry.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Then complain to the network that aired them out of order. This is a useless feature that Tivo should waste time and resources on.

3. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I don't understand this complaint. Every series I've ever recorded was aired in order, so the episodes were in reverse order of when they aired with the last aired episode on top.

Still, it might be useful to have an "original air date" sort.

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    New episodes are aired in order. (Or if not - see Firefly - the guide data lies and TiVo won't know the real order anyway).

But the original post was talking about syndicated (read: reruns) airings. Sometimes these are in order and sometimes they're randomized. (For that matter if you miss an episode and record it later it may end up out of order)

I've occasionally wished for either an 'episode order' or 'original air date order' sort option. (Although on the older TiVos you could, to a certain degree, reorder things manually to fit your desire by manipulating the expiration date and using the 'expiration date' sort order)

Adding this sort option wouldn't be my top priority, but it should be pretty trivial to implement so I wouldn't mind seeing it for the rare instance when its useful.

5. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...

Advertisements

Sorry--I missed "a syndicated series" in the OP.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Actually, while I most often scoff at the suggestions put out there, I would find this benefital... When finding a new show or when viewing repeats, I like to get a volume of episodes together for watching. This would let them line up without having to research the season/episode itself. Sometimes this shows up with the show description, other times you need to view the show details.

7. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    The problem, of course, is that original air date or season and episode number is not listed in the descriptions of all episodic content.

8. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    All-ready available on the TiVo Series 4 using the HD Menus. Go to the bottom of a folder or in a program's menu select "Explore this show" - > "Episodes" and you can watch them in episodic order. A bonus feature is if an episode is missing from "My Shows" there may be a link to watch it from Hulu, Netflix or Amazon.

9. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    It works the same way on the Series 3 OLED as part of the Tivo Search function.

10. bshrock

bshrock Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I watch using the episode guide all the time.

11. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It's a little slower and more awkward than a simple Now Playing sort, but you're right - I'd forgotten you could play recorded episodes out of that full episode list.

(I normally use it to see if I've missed an episode, or to have it automatically create a wishlist for a specific episode)

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    TiVo's latest survey was about "binge viewing" and they asked what features would help with watching shows in this manner.

I suggested they need a "sort by air date and/or episode number" in the show folder options.

Of course, that will only work as long as Tribune passes that data on to the Tivo.

13. ae6dx

ae6dx New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    I've been wanting this too.