Episode "Duration" isn't shown?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jeeters, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

So I upgraded from a TiVo HD to a Roamio a couple months ago.

I ran into this last week but just remembered to ask about it...

I was adding an SP for "Survivor" and after I searched for the show, found it. While looking at the season premiere details after selecting it from Upcoming, it occurred to me that the season premiere may be more than the usual hour, but I couldn't tell from the info the Roamio showed if that was true or not.

Here's an example screenshot I found on the web for Modern Family. Notice that there's no episode duration shown. I can't find the episode durations anywhere when on this screen, including using the Info button. It says what time it starts, but there's no clue to when it ends...

[​IMG]

Playing around, I noticed that it does show the duration of movies. It appears under the title next to the star rating...

[​IMG]

I remember for a fact that it always showed the duration of series episodes on my TiVo HD. Example...
    [​IMG]

What I ended up doing on my Roamio was after I set the SP, I went to the To Do list, found the premiere there. The duration is shown for items in the To Do list.

Long story short, I guess,... am I missing something here?
    Seems odd that I have to actually schedule a show (in order to get it on the To Do list) before I can find out how long it's going to be. I guess another alternative is to go to the Guide an d find an episode there but that's kinda cumbersome to do. Never had to do that on the old HD or my Series 2 before that.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You don't get a season pass to a single episode, you get a season pass to a series.

What if this week's episode runs from 10:00PM to 11:00PM, next week's runs from 10:01PM to 11:00 PM, and the one after that from 9:59PM to 11:00?

What if 3 months from now (i.e., too far in the future for TiVo or Tribune Media Services to know about it yet) they do a special 2 hour episode of that show?

3. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    That's my reason for why the duration should be shown. I should be able to search on a series, go to "Upcoming", and for each episode select it and see that episode's duration, to know if they're going to run a minute over or whatever. In my Survivor example above, I could see the two episodes shown under Upcoming started at 8:00pm. But I suspected that the premiere might be over and hour yet I had know way of telling from the info TiVo showed me.

You used to be able to see duration for upcoming episodes on the TiVo HD and earlier.

But the duration seems to now only be available if you go and find the episodes in the To Do list, or wade through the onscreen guide and find it.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Why does this matter for anything? You have at least four tuners, just let the tivo manage it for you, it's what it does.

5. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY

Advertisements

That's a ridiculous reply. How about if you want to know how long the show will take to play back? Survivor was 90 minutes tonight, and that is useful info.

6. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    That matters when playing back, but not for recording. Is the time not showing once recorded? OP was concerned when scheduling season passes. Different use case altogether.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Because it does.
    You may not want or need the info, but the OP does.

I'm sure the OP has significantly more than 4 or even 6 channels and a significant number of season passes, therefore a chance of conflict does exist.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Isn't it the point that episodes may very well have different durations and it makes no sense to to give the duration when getting a season pass? In the specific case, if it gave the duration of 1.5 hours for the first ep, the OP could have been led to believe that all eps were 1.5 hours. The proper place to find out an ep length is the "to do list" which the OP finally went to.

And as far as conflicts go, when he chose the season pass, TiVo would have listed any conflicts over the next two weeks immediately and gave him options.

9. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    To be clear, I am asking the question on why it matters to see if it should matter to me. So far I'm seeing nothing on that topic, but there is always something to learn from the folks here. Clearly, usefulness is in the eye of the beholder.

10. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I completely disagree. I know that survivor episodes are usually 1 hour in length. But I suspected the premiere would be longer than that. So I pulled up the episode from the Upcoming list to take a look a the duration and there was none shown.

Why should I have to go down to the To Do list and page down through a dozen days of shows and dozens of shows per day trying to find the episode? What if I don't even remember the day the show airs? Same goes for the onscreen guide. It's far easier to Search for a show then go to Upcoming than it is to find things on the ToDo list or Guide.

Heck, if Duration shouldn't ever be important when looking at any show in the Upcoming list, should they just not even bother showing the day or starting time? Why show they bother to show Duration for Movies but not for anything else?

11. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm just trying to understand why you do all of that? Wouldn't the season pass/wishlist (which I use for survivor) just pick it up for you, regardless of length?

12. danm628

danm628 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 14, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Because you want to check if the TiVo is going to do the right thing? I've had wrong guide data in the past. I had a stretch where guide data for a channel was 3 hours off; TiVo switched it from east coast to west coast before my local Comcast actually did the switch (contacted TiVo and they fixed the issue). I've had guide data show a special 90 minute episode is only 60 minutes.

Most of that isn't TiVo's fault since they just purchase the guide data. The guide data is much more reliable the last 4 or 5 years than it was 10 years ago. Though the 3 hour off recording issue that happened to me was only 2 years ago.

So some of us like to check if the first episode of a new season of a show is going to be recorded correctly. If not we can manually pad the length. Or force a recording at the actual time the show will air instead of when the TiVo scheduled it.

If you are used to the older TiVo models you expect this to be readily available. It isn't on the Roamio and I believe it isn't on the Premier.

- Dan

13. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Seems to be a hangup on Season Passes since I brought this up by saying I encountered it while setting a season pass.

Let me try it this way...

Husband: "This there's new show on ABC called 'Fubar'. It's a comedy drama about a person that Yada, yada, yada."

Wife: "Sounds kinda cool. Is it a half our show or hour long show?".

Husband: "Hmm, I'm not sure. Let me look it up on the TiVo".

Click Search. Type "F u b a r".

Husband: "It's on Tuesdays at 9pm".

Click. Upcoming Episodes. Click Click Click.

Husband: "Hmm, if I select any of the upcoming episodes, it doesn't say how long they are."

Wife: "Try looking in the Onscreen Guide."

Husband: "OK".

Click Click Click.

Husband: "Oh wait, I can't find it here; I forget what day the show's on, and I didn't note the channel before, either."

Wife: "Kinda crappy it doesn't show how long any of the upcoming episodes are under the Upcoming Episodes screen.

Husband: "Yeah, our TiVo HD showed it. So did our Series 1 & 2."

14. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Thanks. Sounds more like trivia than it matters to manage your tivo. (I'm not saying its trivial, just that is is knowledge for the sake of knowing)

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    So what? and the OP is aware of that. The OP wanted to know what the duration of that episode was in case it wasn't an hour long like episodes of this show usually are. In the OP the OP wasn't at all concerned about any episode other than the first one that they were using to set up the SP.

Schedules change. That's why tivo gets new guide data on an almost daily basis. Things that don't conflict now, could conflict at the time of the recording, especially if overlap protection isn't turned on. While big schedule changes are unusual, it's not unusual for a show to get moved forward or back a minute or two.

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Some idiot at TiVo has decided we really don't need to know how long episodes are; it's not just season passes, the to-do list also has duration removed. The only place you can see the length of the episode is in the guide itself and in the length of stuff already recorded.

My theory is that the architect who resisted adding an in-use gauge for so many years got overridden by management, and removing the duration from these panels is his petty revenge.