Enlightened S01E01 OAD 10/10/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Oct 11, 2011.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Written by Mike White from Amazing Race.
    I liked her passive aggressive way of getting her job back. I think I like the character best when she loses her "enlightenment" and acts out in rage.

2. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Anybody like this? I've seen two now and it's on the bubble.

3. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    SP canceled.
    very disappointed. Looked like my type of show.

4. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I watched 2 episodes and I am done.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1. Really bad.

6. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I'm hanging in but just barely. One thing keeping me going is Mike White. He's the strange looking guy who works across from her desk. I enjoyed him and his father on The Amazing Race. Freaks and Geaks has been getting mentions here lately and he was a writer /producer on that show. He also wrote and starred in the cult classic movie Chuck & Buck.

7. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    It's on the bubble for me too. There is something about it that I like, but I need for something to actually happen. I feel like the show isn't going anywhere, or it's not going anywhere fast enough to be interesting.

8. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Huh. I just looked him up on Wikipedia.

Interesting.

Greg

9. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    He also wrote and appeared in School of Rock, which I like. I didn't particularly like him on The Amazing Race, though.

10. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    This show is growing on me. Laura Dern is so good at playing that awkward and annoying character. I particularly liked the latest episode, directed by Jonathan Demme and guest starring Robin Wright.

The ending was just great, when we finally get to see what's in that journal that Amy was dying to read, since it would surely reveal Robin Wright's true feelings about Amy, and it's just sketches of pretty flowers. Nice.

11. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    Not much love for this show from the forum.

This series has me puzzled. Still waiting for a payoff. Are we supposed to dislike Amy or somehow see her self absorption as something that makes her superior to those around her?

The false reporting of her boss for harassment just to save her job was pretty disgusting. She's guilty of everything that she was accused of. She should have lost her job.

I'm just not getting it.

12. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I did a marathon viewing of this show last weekend and also caught the latest episode.

For one thing, that was not a false accusation. She accurately described the incident in the nightclub (which was also broadcast on the giant TV screen in the club), and the HR people interpreted it as sexual harrassment without Amy mentioning the term. The guy was a jerk. Co-workers like that lady who didn't like the boss's constant vulgarities in the office, but also didn't like Amy, seemed to appreciate his being disciplined.

I have to say that Laura Dern really reminds me of my ex (who would be a much shorter version of Laura), and her character Amy, as my ex also suffered through a breakdown as a result of working in a Government office.

The back-stabbing and favoritism and office politics and fake pleasantries all came to a head one day. Since then she has been through treatment programs with psychiatrists (who, IMHO, only perpetuate the perceived problems in order to keep seeing the patient), and does the same sorts of forced niceties as Amy does while suppressing an underlying frustration which bubbles to the surface in various ways at inappropriate times.

This show is somewhere between the awkwardness of "The Office", but in a more realistic setting.

It can be difficult to sit through, so I understand why many people won't have the patience for it, but I give it a big thumbs UP! :up:

13. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I'm really loving this show. This probably sounds corny, but it really makes me think about issues in my own life as they come up on the show.

Just a thought....the OP might want to change the title of this thread, if possible. It appears to be only about the first episode but there definite plot spoilers for future episodes.

14. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    This thread is for the first episode only. If you want to post about a different episode please create a thread for that episode. There will be people who have only watched the first episode reading this thread.

15. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    Sorry. It was just a suggestion since the genie already seems to be out of the bottle.

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think it's great. I'm almost finished with season 1. I think everyone feels a bit of what Laura Dern's character feels or we at least know someone like this.

Laura Dern is a fantastic actress. I totally believe she is nuts.