Enhanced TiVo features coming, what is it going to cost!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by calguy99, Aug 14, 2007.

1. calguy99

calguy99 New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Cambria, CA

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently go a message in my TiVo inbox tell me of some new features coming to TiVo Series 2 receivers. The message stated that users will be able to program recording remotely through the Direct v web page. Is this going to cost extra. The Message did not elaborate in that part. Are there any links to find out more?

Thanks

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Zero...

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    No extra cost.

4. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    ...except if you have your TiVo "hacked" for MRV/HMO...you'll lose those features if you update. That's a cost for MANY.

5. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA

Advertisements

From the 'features' that will be added, think I'll leave my phone line unplugged and continue to use the zippered features I enjoy.

6. calguy99

calguy99 New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Cambria, CA
    Will you be able to schedule recordings on a Windows Mobile cellular phone?

7. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Dec 2, 2003
    The message says you have to do scheduling from directv.com. I'm wondering whether they will turn on broadband or just send a signal to the box that forces a call.

8. leftstrat

leftstrat New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    I'd just love it if they'd open the home media system. I'm using a Linksys WMB54g right now to play tunes on the home stereo. I'd love to be able to have the features of one of the Dlink DSM units without having to buy one. :)

9. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I do wish these updates applied to my SAT-T60 :(

Folders alone would be much appreciated... I know, I know...worn out topic...

10. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    +1. I feel the same way.

11. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    I was happy to see that they are smart enough to realize we will not give up our tivos any time soon. Funny that they decided to add the ability to set shows to record via the web as I had this ability on my replay tv 7 years ago...but at least it is an update and I'll happily take it!

I wonder if the units will call in more often to pick up the record messages from DTV?

mark

12. grecorj

grecorj Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2002
    CT
    I've speculated about this long ago, but I wonder since DTV can "hit" your box via the sat stream to enable a channel you purchased, or a PPV via the web, why they can't do the same to schedule a recording. The only catch is you'll have to decide ahead of time if you want it to override other recordings if you already have 2 recordings set.

13. SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    :D :up: :cool:

14. prenger745

prenger745 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    I am excited about these updates (maybe). I have the the Phillips dsr704 and 708 models so I assume I am going to get the updates. Looking on the back of the units it looks like they have USB ports. Will those be activated now so that I can schedule from the website? Will the usb ports be able to connected to my wireless network and get updates over the network so I can disconnect my phone?

Thanks in advance
    Dan

15. rock_doctor

rock_doctor resU deretsigeR

Oct 22, 2000
    I would *assume* nothing will change with the USB ports. I also *assume* they plan to implement the web setting abilities as ReplayTv did it...You set the website and when the unit calls in it will take the updated request to record or delete shows. If I remember correctly there are currently a couple law suits about the ability to pull the shows off the recorder and putting them onto an external device. Once these suits are taken care of (and assuming the decisions are favorable) then we may see the USB ports activated. At this time *they* only see the USB ports as a way to steal content and no other viable use... I would love the ability to connect my units to the Internet and download IP Tv shows like you can with the series 3 TiVos or add external drives like with the dish player... But I suspect that will not happen. At least we are getting an update and I will take it. :) We will have to see what happens, since it says early 2008 it could be another year before the software is rolled out.

mark

16. eddieras99

eddieras99 New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    deerfield, il
    any idea on the web scheduling - will it just download the info nightly or can you schedule something and immediately have it update the unit? you know, you're at your inlaws and you forgot to record the game.... overnite update not as useful - god willing, i'd be home by then!

17. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    nobody knows.
    I imagine it's POSSIBLE to send info regarding recording setup to the units via sat, but I imagine the bandwidth for this is excessive, since they will send everyone's instructions to every Tivo.
    Makes more sense to enable the usb networking, but since we're talking DTV who knows which route they'll take :D

18. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    The stupidist one....... that cost the least.

19. Dante101

Dante101 ...in between dreams

Aug 1, 2003
    Fullerton, CA
    How does it work on standard "non-DTV" Tivos that have this feature? I hear people say they are at work, hear about a program on that day and simply go to their work computers to schedule it. So that sounds pretty immediate to me.

Maybe in their case, when they use web scheduling, it sends a signal for Tivo to call their DVR and make the changes? Or maybe when they login to the web scheduling it might connect to their DVR right then to see if there are conflicts?

Just guessing - I don't know how the system works on non-DTV Tivos, but I know they have the same option...

20. sllerts

sllerts Mac DTivo Fanatic!

Feb 28, 2001
    Sunnyvale,...
    I was so unbelievably happy...until I saw the end of the message that stated that my DR6000 and Hughes boxes were *not* getting the update! Argh! I guess it's still going to be TivoWeb Plus for me.

Steve