Endpad and suggestions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by WebAgents, Dec 24, 2004.

1. WebAgents

WebAgents It's TiVo-lutionary!

Jan 3, 2003
    North West...
    I have 'the bill' on season pass.

endpad added 1 minute of start padding, but did not add 5 mins of endpadding because TiVo wanted to record a suggestion.

Is this the normal mode of operation for endpad?

If so, can it be changed or do I have to switch off suggestions?

(I don't mind endpad not adding endpadding when another sceduled recording needs to be made, but not for suggestions!)

regards

Bryan

2. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    I think that there is a switch in endpad which lets endpad do its thing in preference to suggestions.

The great Sanderton would have the definitive answer though I'm sure :D

3. sanderton

sanderton TiVoer since 11/2000

Jan 4, 2002
    Endpad by default will cancel a suggestion to add the padding. Have you started it with the -sugeq switch, which changes it so suggestions are recorded?

Edit: in another thread, I see you have used -sugeq. Taki it out iof that's not the behaviour you want.

4. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    That's good to know as it's the behaviour I prefer
    (oh, and thank you, Stuart, for this most useful program! :up: ).

When I first installed it, it failed to pad Channel 4 News, but instead padded the following 5 minute Channel 4 prog The Political Slot.

(I haven't seen this behaviour since, mind)

Is it possible it might fail to cancel a suggestion if it's on the same channel?

My parameters then, as now

/var/hack/endpad.tcl -s 1 -e 4 -auto >> /dev/null &

5. themitch

themitch New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    North London
    Just wondered if anyone else thought this was an idea that could be implemented onto the excellent EndPad utility?

Would it be possible to do some sort of intelligent padding based on the category of the programme being recorded?

For example, Soaps. Here's a scenario:

19:30 Coronation Street
    20:00 Eastenders
    20:30 Coronation Street

The first corrie gets padded at the beginning, which is fine. And then soft padding doesn't occur again until the end of the final corrie.

The problem is that a) these programmes have been running over recently, and b) as they're soaps, I'd (erm, i mean the missus) would rather miss the beginning of the next programme and not miss the end of this programme.

This is because the programmes are soaps and it's more likely you would want to watch the end than the beginning.

19:30 Coronation Street (This is a soap, and the next programme is a soap, so softpad at the beginning and end).
    20:02 Eastenders (This is a soap, and the next programme is a soap too, so softpad at the end again).
    20:32 Coronation Street (Followed by Top Gear, Soap followed by non-soap, don't endpad).

What do people thing about this? Is it even feasible??

Cheers

6. WebAgents

WebAgents It's TiVo-lutionary!

Jan 3, 2003
    North West...

I have re-read the instructions and now know where the confusion came from.

'the optional sugeq parameter prevents EndPad cancelling a suggestion by padding another one'

I interpreted this as applying to suggestion recordings ONLY, but what it really means is that the parameter will allow endpad to NOT endpad a recording (scheduled included) if it wants to record a suggestion.

I worked around this by disabling suggestions which is fine as they are usually quite strange anyway. I will remove the switch so that if I re-enable suggestions later on I won't get this behaviour again.

(Perhaps it might be clearer if the instructions said something like

'the optional sugeq parameter allows TiVo to override endpadding if it wants to record a suggestion'

or is it just me?)

Regards

Bryan

7. sanderton

sanderton TiVoer since 11/2000

Jan 4, 2002
    It's not impossible, and similar schemes were discussed at length during EndPad's development. However it seesm that no two people felt it should work the same way.

Should you want to create a customised version, I'd be happy to help with any questions you had.

8. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    That would require negative padding. Has that been proven to work?

9. zippy7272

zippy7272 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    I've just (stupidly) asked the same question, did you get any joy?

10. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Record Eastenders on BBC3 at 10pm and/or the weekend edition ?