1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

enable learning on the zoom button

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by nopedals, Aug 10, 2017.

1. nopedals

nopedals New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    The zoom button on the TIVO remote is pretty useless in my experience. I like to watch SD programs in their native aspect ratio, and leave it set to "panel." Nevertheless, many sources will zoom 4:3 pictures full screen, and not let you do anything about it. I also like to zoom content with top and bottom black bars. Worse, sometimes the programs are shown in postage stamp mode (black bars on the side *and* top and bottom). For OTA, you can sometimes, but not always, get rid of the black bars by pressing the TIVO remote zoom button, sometimes not. And the zoom button never works for apps like youtube.

In summary, I want to watch 4:3 content with two black side bars, and expand any content with top and bottom bars, especially postage stamp pictures. The zoom button on the TIVO remote often does not work for OTA content, and does not work at all for apps like youtube.

There is a workaround. My TV remote has an aspect ratio button that consistently works, and I have learned that function onto the input button on the TIVO remote. But I think it would be more graceful to let folks learn that function to the (almost useless) TIVO zoom button.

It would be even better if TIVO's zoom button natively worked for all OTA, and for apps.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Zoom is used a bunch for folks who use the preview window.

If you zoom *before* entering apps it can fulfill its normal function, just not while in the app.

3. nopedals

nopedals New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    The problem is, with YouTube, you don't know that you need zoom unless you are in the app.