Empty looking NPL?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Gojira69, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Gojira69

Gojira69 New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    San Francisco

Advertisements

Since I added networking to my 2 dTiVos I have noticed on occassion on both systems the NPL will go blank. iow, the programs on the list cannot be seen in the list, nor can they be accessed. The NPL comes up. It can be scrolled thru, but there are no entries. The only fix I know for this is a restart. :confused:

2. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    This is a well known and solveable issue. The now playing lists are actually not gone, it just takes about 60 seconds or more for them to show up (try it). The problem is related to the DNS network settings on your Tivo, which should be set to the IP address of your router.

3. Gojira69

Gojira69 New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thank you. I know what to do now.

4. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Ok, I'll bite. What is it that you do now?? Is what rbautch referring to setting up the IP address of the router as a server on the "Music and Photos" menu area of the tivo? Or is this something that has to be tweaked on the tivo hard drive, and if so - how.

5. Gojira69

Gojira69 New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    San Francisco

Advertisements

The TiVo has to be programmed to see the router's IP address as its DNS server. I'll let you know when I've done it as to how I did.

6. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    TIA

7. ssstivo

ssstivo New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    After about 3 weeks of flawless networking between my 3 Directivos I've started to have this issue. I'm very interested in how to correct this problem.

8. msu72

msu72 New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Atlanta
    I have the same problem. Would like to know what fixes are available.
    Thanks.

9. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Do you have your routers IP address in the ip settings for your Tivo?

10. msu72

msu72 New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Atlanta
    I don't know. I don't think Gunny's guide mentioned that. How would I check and how would I set it in?

11. davsherm

davsherm Active Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Tampa
    I have been using dhcp on my 6.2 machines, and it has been working ok so far. If you want to find out what your dns servers are use:
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    If you want to set a static ip you might want to search for the netconfig script by lgkahn on ddb. You could set it in your author file, but there have been reports that doing this may make mrv not work properly.

12. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    It is not in Gunnys unguide because it is not a part of the steps to get the hacks to work. Since I am assuming you are using DHCP off your router you should also be able to see what the DNSs are listed on your pc, they "should" be the same for the DTivo. If they are not then you will have to change it on the Dtivo by using the netconfig modulle as davsherm says. Of course not knowing how your network is setup.....

13. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The function of DNS is to resolve domain names like Tivo.com into an IP address. When you go to Now Showing, your Tivo searches for other Tivos on your network, and tries to connect to the Internet. If your DNS is not set properly, it hangs while it tries to resolve DNS until it finally times out and displays the Now Showing list. If you set DNS to your router address, this will usually do the trick. If you have IP addresses configured manually, you can edit the resolv.conf file to reflect your router's address. Otherwise dhclient will continue to overwrite that file with it's own settings. Even better, set static IP and DNS more permanently in MFS using the netconfig script mentioned above. There's even a Tivowebplus module for netconfig that makes this super easy.

14. mercurial

mercurial Retro-Av

Oct 17, 2002
    Caraleigh, NC
    I'm starting to see this problem. The issue? For some reason my router partially crashses. It will still work for DHCP hosts but any I've setup statically don't work. Reboot the router and it works fine. I'm thinking of replacing the router with one that I can put the Seavsoft image on to get router-supported static addressing in the DHCP server itself....

15. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    What if I don't have a router? My PCs and game devices connect to the Internet using PPPoE through a network switch and DSL modem. Presumably hacked TiVos should not even connect to the Internet, so what should I set DNS to?

(I asked a similar question in the Zipper thread but it was not answered, and seems a bit OT for that thread.)

16. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    find out what your ISP has assigned for dns servers
    this can be found by doing ipconfig from an XP command line

17. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    It would be easy to do that, but if my hacked TiVos can't access the Internet (because they are not configured for PPPoE with my username/password) won't they fail when they attempt to communicate with those DNS servers?

18. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    yes likely they would
    go out on black friday and grab a router for 10 bucks :p problem solved :D

19. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Is there another solution? I am trying to set up a gigabit network at my new house and gigabit routers are not $10 from what I've seen. I would think there would be a lot of people who hack their TiVos with a similar setup to mine: PPPoE DSL with a switch and no router.

20. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I think you'll find most folks with DSL have a router that does PPoE. you COULD set up internet connection sharing on one of your PC's I suppose and use THAT PC as the dns server address.