Emmys 9/20 Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by David Platt, Sep 21, 2020.

1. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

I was really dreading this because I thought it was going to be awful with not being a 'real' awards show, but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought given the limitations they did an exceptional job. Sure, there were a few comedy bits that fell flat (Russian USPS guy? WTH was that?), but overall it was great.

Really glad to see Schitt's Creek getting the awards love it deserves, and PARTICULARLY happy to see Annie Murphy getting some love with a Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy win since she so often gets overshadowed by the rest of the cast.

Other highlight of the night? Zendaya winning Best Actress in a Drama. She totally deserved it; that was a career-defining role for her.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Some people that won really deserved it.

Zendaya
    Dan Levy
    Billy Crudup
    Regina King
    Julia Garner

These 5 were really standouts.

-smak-

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    As much as I love Schitts Creek, I was really hoping D'Arcy Carden would win. She really brought her non robot non girl to life.

Steveknj likes this.
  4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Agree, it was much better than I would have thought. It moves much quicker (not a bad thing!) without an live audience. Using Zoom worked well for the most part.

Normally, I wouldn't mind the way they ordered the awards: Comedy, Limited, Drama. But having one show monopolize a genre made it really boring. Even Dan Levy acknowledged it "The Internet is going to hate us" or something to that affect. Obviously no way to predict it, but let's mix it up next time.

Huge love for Zendaya in a career-defining breakout role. And really sad that so many incredible comedies got bulldozed by SC. D'Arcy and so many others that I felt were deserving.

JK did a great job. He's a perfect host for this type of event. Did I hear that Al Pacino was there?

5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

Here's an interview with one of the writer/producers that gives some good background/behind-the-scenes details on the broadcast:

Emmys Behind the Scenes: Producer on What Went Right, and What Didn't - Variety

Regina, gweempose and MauriAnne like this.
  6. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Thanks for the link!

They really did do an incredible job editing the beginning together to make it seem like he was giving the opening monologue to a live audience.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    @David Platt BTW, it's spelled Emmys. Of course, search never works well on this forum anyway, but nonetheless...

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Glad for Schitt's Creek and Watchman, and especially Ruffalo winning best actor in his category. He was fabulous. I hated the show that Zendaya was on so I can't speak to her acting, so I'll take your word for it I watched about 3 episodes and realized the show wasn't for me.

9. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the typo. I had a mod fix it.

astrohip likes this.
  10. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I can see where Euphoria's subject matter wouldn't be for everyone, but Zendaya was amazing in it. The show also had some brilliant cinematography and production design. There was one episode that takes place at a carnival that I thought was technically one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on television.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    No doubt. She wouldn't have had my vote, but again, I only watched a few episodes.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So was the room where Zendaya was when she received her award there at the Staples Center? Because she was present to present an award earlier in the telecast. And was the place where Jennifer Aniston (and Courteney Cox and Lisa Kudrow and Jason Bateman) was Zooming from also on site since both Aniston and Bateman were live in person earlier in the show? If they are there on site, and able to interact at a distance, why couldn't they incorporate them more into the live show rather than trying to make it look like they were at a remote location?

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    If you didn't watch this bit from Kimmel's monologue the next night on his show, it was pretty funny that people tweeted during the opening of the Emmys thinking there really was a live audience at the event (video should start at 3:03):

14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Would of never of watchd Succession if it didn't win best drama, but just finished 1st season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DevdogAZ likes this.