Emergency messages and Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mbt25, Aug 31, 2007.

1. mbt25

mbt25 New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Virginia
    I noticed something interesting tonight while watching tivo. I was watching ESPN and the emergency broadcast system came on. The text of the warning came up on the screen and the audio was from the national weather service person reading the warning with some added information. What I noticed is that you can't change from this to anything else until the message is done. The guide, channel and tivo button do nothing during this time. Has anybody else had this happen? Does the warning automatically come up if you are watching something you had already tivoed and not live TV?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes (not me, but this has been discussed a lot). This is required. I don't remember if it's FCC or CableCard requirements.. I think the latter.

3. Sep 1, 2007 #3 of 20
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    And any recording will stop and not restart, a pain but TiVo may not be able to anything about it as its a requirement of the cable system and cable box/cards.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 20
    IDSmoker

IDSmoker Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Boise, ID
    If you are recording a show on one tuner and watching live tv on the other tuner, you will still lose the recording... why?

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 20
    BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    That's not a requirement. That's bad programming on Tivo's part.

Plus, nothing says BOTH tuners need to tune to the emergency signal. So if only one tuner was being used, in theory you can keep recording while the unused tuner tunes to the EBS signal.

Hopefully they fix it in a later software release.

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 20
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Do you know this for a fact or are you guessing ? The cable Co's DVR does the same thing on both tuners so is it your conclusion that Moto has bad programing also !! I'm not saying that both don't have the same bad programing, but I find that unlikely.

7. Sep 5, 2007 #7 of 20
    TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    There's no reason Tivo shouldn't be able to go back to recording after an emergency broadcast message, the same it does after a power loss. It's very disappointing that it's not set up this way.

Comcast near me does emergency broadcast tests way too frequently, which has caused me to lose 2:55 of a 3 hour recording!

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 20
    BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    There was a previous thread with the link for the CableLabs spec. and test. As I recall, when I looked at the spec., it didn't preclude switching back to the channel and resuming recording. The spec. also assumed the DVR is single-tuner, so there is this whole "gray area" as well. (Do BOTH tuners really need to switch, or is one OK?)

Besides, if you thought the Motorola DVR wasn't programmed badly, why do you own a Tivo? :)

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 20
    andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    so let me get this straight, if you are watching some live tv (i know, who does that anymore) on a channel that doesn't broadcast the emergency message, will Tivo switch channels to one that does?

10. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    Well now here is something that happened to me, I was watching a recorded show and tivo had just started to record another show. About 2 mins into the recording, I went to the live TV to make sure tivo was recording my show properly (Long story short, I have had tivo say its recording CBS HD but the video is from CBS news channel and no audio and I can't just recreate it and I can go for weeks before it happens again :( ), anyway I notice that the EBS system had been on but I only caught the last few seconds of it. It did not come on while I was watching what I recorded, it did not stop the new recording and it did not appear on the new recording when it was played back. Maybe they have different settings depending on where you live but I have not had any problem with the EBS system and until a week or two ago, I was wondering if they were still using it since I had not seen it in months.

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Re-Read my post as I said that BOTH TiVo and the Moto DVR did the same thing so there are BOTH programed badly or there is a requirement we are not aware of.

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    This has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads. It's one of the main reasons why using Standby is a good idea when you are done using your units (In Standby mode Tivo is immune to this problem).

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I did not know that, if you are recording the recording will not stop !! That would be great just to leave the unit in standby and not be concerned about your recordings.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's correct. In standby mode ongoing recordings are not affected as the Tivo is not forced tuned to EAS alerts. The logic is that in standby mode all outputs are disabled anyway so no sense in complying with a force tune.

15. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Who exactly decides what is an emergency alert? Because the ones that are (currently) interrupting me from playing back a recording are more like advertisements for a specific radio station.

They basically say "child abduction alert" with no other details except the time and that it was issued by "WBQB", which is a radio station about 4 counties over -- that I can't even receive, I had to google it -- that I have to tune in to for details.

So my recordings can be interrupted because a local radio station program manager is basically drumming up ratings through the EAS?

16. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Its a cable test signal for state or national emergencies not a local kid missing or bad car accident. I don't know when if ever its been used for such an emergency, maybe in the Midwest for a tornado alert ??.

17. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm trying to watch a recording and twice in a one hour show, I've been booted to the amber alert. After the amber alert, I'm dumped to live tv rather than back to the show I'm watching. And when I go back to the show I was watching, the tivo did not save my place.

I checked wtop.com and dont see an amber alert running there.

18. Revolutionary

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Yeah, I'm just up the road from you in Fairfax, so it's the same alert. The radio station is in Fredericksburg -- Lord knows where the alert originated.

For the first time since my cablecard install I'm regretting it. I never had to deal with this crap when I was cable+OTA.

19. flyfishingdad

flyfishingdad New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Tivo NEEDS to buffer 1/2 hour (more would be better) REGARDLESS of channel changes. If you switch the channel the buffer should remain, not restart. That way when an EAS comes on and you weren't watching a show in real time you don't LOSE all of your buffer. Also, if you accidentally hit the wrong button and change the channel you don't lose your buffer.

I was watching a show and an EAS TEST came on I was about 15 minutes behind live TV. Well, thanks TIVO I missed 15 minutes of the show because the box isn't smart enough to keep the buffer no matter what interrupts it. Have to switch to the EAS FINE, let that be a couple minutes of interruption in my buffer. And losing a recording, ridiculous, it should show up as a mere interruption to the show, as if you were watching live and the show was briefly interrupted.

20. Revolutionary

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    File a suggestion/complaint. That's a good idea that they should be able to implement easily.

http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/2web519.htm