emergency broadcast system

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JoN8282, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1 of 23
    JoN8282

JoN8282 New Member

Feb 26, 2005

Advertisements

sure it's my fault for still being up at 430am last night... but this is rather interesting. cablevision (oakland, nj) ran a test of the emergency broadcast system at 4:28am. It caused my series 3 to immediately go to "live tv" (from watching a recorded show) it scrolled the broadcast alert in the top portion of the screen, in very clear (obviously programmed by tivo) text. It did not allow for changing of the channel, hitting the tivo menu also disabled, as well as all time shift controls - all disabled. i'm assuming this has to do with cablelabs cert. - i dont really have a problem with it, but i figured i would post my experience here in case anyone has futher questions or it helps any.

i was not fully awake, so i didnt try doing much except resuming from where i left off in the recording after the test. in hindisght i should have checked to see if i could go back and re-watch the alert or if it disabled the buffer too.... i have no idea, i was too out of it.

2. Jan 3, 2007 #2 of 23
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I was watching a recording the other day when the cable company pumped out an amber alert and the same thing happened, it jumped to live.

Now I believe when I had the SA 8300 those alerts would come through while you were watching your recording. You would still see them, it just didn't jump you into live mode. It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

3. Jan 3, 2007 #3 of 23
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've seen the same thing, but I've only caught the end of it. I've just had to hit clear to exit.

4. Jan 3, 2007 #4 of 23
    JoN8282

JoN8282 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    i would think the reason for the live tv jump is to ensure no one thinks the message is recorded. it opens up questions as to whether or not the message would be recorded if it happened during a show you were watching.

5. Jan 3, 2007 #5 of 23
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

that's pretty cool, and in case of a real emergency could save some lives

However, in this world of recorded television, it might be very useful for them to put a time/date stamp on the broadcasts so we know "hey that's right now!" vs "oh, that was 3 days ago"

6. Jan 3, 2007 #6 of 23
    Boot

Boot to the head TCF Club

Mar 15, 2000
    Colorado
    I don't think it gets recorded. If you see it, it's because it's happening right now and TiVo bumped you out to live TV.

7. Jan 3, 2007 #7 of 23
    LargoFloridaBHN

LargoFloridaBHN New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I had my first experience with the series3 emergency broadcast feature last night and was THRILLED to discover that it was SILENT!

The single most detestable feature of the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR is the ear-shattering audio signal that it generates over and over and over again during an emergency broadcast.

8. Jan 3, 2007 #8 of 23
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    With the Amber Alerts, it actually screws up your recording, right -- it changes channels and STOPS the recording -- and doesn't continue the recording after the alert??

9. Jan 3, 2007 #9 of 23
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So what happens if you are recording two programs when the alert happens? I hope it doesn't stop recording.

10. Jason

Jason Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Walnut...
    When it happened to me about two months ago during an amber alert, both recordings stopped, and they did not automatically resume once the alert was over.

11. Runch Machine

Runch Machine Active Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    That's cool. A couple of years ago I was at someone's house when a bad storm passed through. The TV was on a local channel as we were watching storm coverage. All of a sudden all channels went to a blue screen that said: Please tune to a local channel for a weather alert. This stayed up for a few seconds and then everything reverted to normal. As a Directv subscriber, I was impressed that cable has the ability to do that.

I mainly use OTA for my TV watching and recording. I wonder if Tivo responds in this way or if there is something similar for OTA channels?

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Well that sucks. I hope this never happens here. I would be very pissed if I missed some recordings because of it.
    I guess this is one thing that you don't have to worry about with DirecTV. If it happens a few times I would have to cancel Comcast and go back to DirecTV. Although I haven't left DirecTV yet.

13. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Well, that explains what happened the other night when I was recording the Bravo Marathon. I didn't put it together until I just read your post but I had a partial on one recording of Friday Night Lights. And the amber alert came on just about the time that show was recording.

Thanks much for your post, I'll be aware of that if it happens again. That really sucks.

14. bown

bown New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Opie and Anthony had a great rant on the EBS yesterday.

They noted that on 9/11, not a single EBS broadcast was made. If THAT wasn't an emergency, what would qualify???

15. JoN8282

JoN8282 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    this was a great rant.... o and a party rock!

16. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    In case anyone is wondering what this looks like:

[​IMG]

This happened to me a few weeks ago. I turned on my TV and found that crawl and had no idea how long it had been up there.

17. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    [tvengineer]
    It's called EAS (emergency alert system)!!! The EBS (emergency broadcast system) went away over 10 years ago!!
    [/tvengineer]

18. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Does anyone know? Making an inference from windracer's image (post #16), it looks like a "Broadcast Station or Cable System" can initiate the EAS.

If the OP had pressed Clear, could he or she have returned to the recording then?

19. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

The Emergency Alert System (EAS), is a national system in the U.S. put into place in 1994, superseding the Emergency Broadcast System and is jointly administered by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), FEMA, and the National Weather Service. The official EAS system is designed to enable the President of the United States to speak to the United States within 10 minutes (this official federal EAS system has never been activated). Voluntary EAS systems at the state and local level also exist. The EAS covers both AM/FM/ACSSB(R)(LM(R)) radio and VHF Low/VHF Medium/VHF High/UHF/television (including low-power stations),HRC/IRC/STD/EIA cable television and wireless cable television companies. Digital television, digital cable, XM Satellite Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, Grendade, Worldspace, IBOC, DAB and digital radio broadcasters will be required to participate in EAS beginning December 31, 2006. DIRECTV, Dish Network, and any other Direct Broadcast Satellite providers will be required to participate beginning May 31, 2007. Video Dial Tone (OVS) will be required to participate beginning July 1, 2007.

---
    (Knowing that now, it wouldn't surprise me that that is the real reason we recently got a software upgrade on the HR10-250. :))

20. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

Several state officials including New York Governor George Pataki, former New York City Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and U.S. Congressmen and Senators have questioned members of the FCC on why the Emergency Alert System was not implemented nationwide on radio and television stations during the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attacks where official government information is/was supposed to be distributed in place of local/network programming or newscasts. The EAS was to have issued such messages that the United States was under attack, but no warning broadcast was issued, even in New York City.

On February 1, 2005 at 2:10 pm Eastern Standard Time an employee within the Connecticut Office of Emergency Management inadvertently activated an EAS message over radio and television stations telling residents to evacuate the state immediately. At 3:45 pm officials at the OEM announced that the activation and broadcast of the Emergency Alert System was in error due to the fact that the button used to conduct weekly EAS tests is located next to a button that is used to issue an emergency alert to evacuate the state. In addition to questioning how the mistake happened, some concern was raised at the fact that almost no one seemed to take the evacuation order seriously, even before it was rescinded.