Emergency Broadcast system stops me from using TIVO!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by blacknoi, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1 of 79
    blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006

Advertisements

So this past Sunday morning I'm watching a recorded show and all of a sudden, it goes to my cable systems GUIDE channel. The Tivo started to scroll across the screen that cablevision was running a test of the emergency broadcast system.

I couldn't do ANYTHING on my tivo. I just got the "negative" sound when you press a button that doesn't do anything in a given menu.

The screen said the test was going to go on for like 10 minutes, so I flipped over to my ReplayTV.

Has anyone else seen this on their series3??? I tried searching for emergency broadcast system, interruptions etc, but didn't see anything.

I find this rather annoying that it wouldn't let me use my OWN TIVO.

2. Jan 9, 2007 #2 of 79
    George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Yup I saw that via Time Warner the other day. I assume it is designed not to allow you to bypass it since it is an emergency message. It doesn't last very long.

3. Jan 9, 2007 #3 of 79
    TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Standard behavior. Cable company DVRs do the same thing. The only big flaw in the Tivo is that it won't resume recording something after the alert is over.

4. Jan 9, 2007 #4 of 79
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Agreed. It caused the only two partial recordings I've had since I got the S3.

5. Jan 9, 2007 #5 of 79
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

You didn't look hard enough...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=334643&highlight=emergency
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=322560&highlight=emergency
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=320035&highlight=emergency
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=318432&highlight=emergency

6. Jan 9, 2007 #6 of 79
    hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    A word please about the emergency interruptions. My God are we all so selfish that we can't allow the rest of the world in for an emergency? I say this because people say this is "annoying" and in another thread someone wanted to "op out" of these messages.

I don't have children but I still can understand the stress a parent feels if his/her child goes missing. So they cut in with the Amber alert. That parent is concerned about his/her child a human being that may be in trouble. We should be grateful for this technology because I guarantee that if it was one of your children you would want to get the word out any way possible.

The same thing should also apply to tornado warnings in your county. Someones house may be getting ready to get hit in another part of your county or even yours. These are things that I feel are more important then missing a piece of "24". (Oh my god, I can't believe I said that).

I won't say that I'm thrilled when these things happen, but I understand the necessity of it. Hopefully TiVo will get a fix so that the recordings will pick up again. In the meantime, try to be understanding.

7. Jan 9, 2007 #7 of 79
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    What's so hard about allowing people to opt out? Nobody forces them to watch TV in the first place, so why can't someone opt out of being forced to watch something they don't want to watch?

Just because someone doesn't see an amber alert message that interrupts their television watching doesn't meant hey won't see the local news where they say the same thing.

The Emergency Alert System defines numerous classes of messages; providing a way to opt out at the message class level would be trivial. It would also allow for even more message types to be provided, allowing people to opt in to things that peolpe might feel otherwise aren't "important enough" to interrupt others with unconditionally.

8. Jan 9, 2007 #8 of 79
    hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    The idea is to get the word out immediately. If someone doesn't see their news that evening they have no idea. I mean if just the chance comes through that someone says, Hey I saw that little girl today, however remote I don't think there should be any time wasted.

On the other hand I would like to have the ability to "opt out" of things like listening to George Bush. That your likely to see on the news or hear about later.

9. Jan 9, 2007 #9 of 79
    Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Lost Member

Nov 16, 2000
    But the point of the EBS tests is to test the television station equipment, not the end-use equipment. It would be nice if TiVo ignored EBS broadcasts with the text "This is a test". There, problem solved. Now we'll only be interrupted for real emergencies (which I'm okay with).

10. Buran

Buran New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    St. Louis,...
    I have no problem with "getting the word out" but I do have a problem with overriding user desire to say "Okay I see the message, I reviewed the information, that tornado is in the next state over and can't possibly come this way, but just in case I'll listen for the sirens, now go away".

It is bad, bad UI design to force the user to sit and wait for anything that they do not need or want to sit and wait for. It is good UI design to pop up a message telling the user that there is an alert, press (x) for more information -- NOT to deliberately destroy any pending tasks that the user has set up. Not unless there is a good reason to halt any user-requested tasks.

For that matter, why do I have to stop recording to get the signal strength meter to come onto the screen? Why can't I view the signal strength of whatever I am recording right now? That's bad UI design too.

11. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    That is something TiVo needs to fix. I think. :)

12. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    Unfortunately, Tivo's doesn't have the flexibility to improve the UI design of most of the way it handles emergency alerts. The EAS spec (which is required by cablecard certification) allows the cable operator to send an alert which blocks the user from doing anything else. Complaining to Tivo isn't going to get you anywhere. However, not all EAS messages require the user to be blocked - so it's up to your cable company to determine what kind of alert they want to send.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    What good are the emergency alerts on a DVR? So, I find out that there was a tornado alert or an Amber alert last week when my show was recorded.

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They're not recorded; they're delivered when they happen. It just has to be on.

The problem with the Series3 is that when the alert happens, any recording in progress stops. And apparently doesn't even automatically restart when the alert is over.

15. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I wasn't aware of that. I just thought that was something TiVo could fix. That's a bummer, and I doubt we'd get anywhere complaining to the cable company. :(

16. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    i get the same alerts on my comcast boxes. Cant do **** either but sit and watch it. Only like 5-10 seconds. Its an inconvenience, but tv recordings are pretty low on my priority list. If it gets interrupted, oh well.

17. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    If the show you want to record is one of the major networks, just record it OTA.

When done that way, my recording doesn't stop. It just shows the message bar at the top of the screen and loses the sound during the EBS message.

My only complaint is that the tests should be done early in the morning so they interrupt the fewest viewer's shows.

18. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    That's assuming that we can even get OTA. I've said it once I'll say it a hundred times not everyone can get OTA.

19. Necro

Necro New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Euharlee, Ga
    Why can't the S3 still record while it shows the EBS message?

Why can't it just keep that info over the screen as you change channels?

I understand why they are doing it... but it still sucks losing recordings.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So is there a way to complain to the CableCard consortium?