Emergency broadcast behavior

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Spiff72, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Spiff72

Spiff72 Member

Jul 11, 2004

Advertisements

I have NEVER seen this happen before...

I was watching a recorded program on my Sony HDD250 a few minutes ago, and it stopped playing the program, and switched to CSPAN2, which was showing some sort of emergency broadcast (white text superimposed over the program that was airing on CSPAN2). There is a tornado warning in a neighboring county.

I have NEVER seen this happen before! It switched back to the channel that the DVR had been tuned to previously, but didn't go back to the recorded show I was watching.

I figured that I would switch over to my Series 3 Tivo and check the weather report - they had broken into the football game on my ABC affiliate. I noticed that it wasn't recording a program that was set to record at 6:00 pm. I went to the recording history for the Tivo, and it said it wasn't recorded because the tuner wasn't available. I switched to the show that should be recording, and started a manual record, and then my Tivo did EXACTLY the same thing that the Sony had just done a few moments earlier (went to CSPAN2). It has been doing this every 5 minutes now. The recording stopped when it did it again, but it does go back to the correct channel after the alert and doesnt continue to record.

Is this something that the cableco is doing with the cablecard? I am watching cable via the cablecard in my TV to see if it does the same thing...

2. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    I've seen the emergency weather broadcast on digital cable. Sounds like a bug where the Tivo doesn't restart recording.

3. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Welcome to the new EAS rules. (Emergency Alert System)
    When any cablelabs certified box gets the eas message, it has to effectively cease whatever it's doing and switch to whatever channel has been designated as the eas channel.

If tivo can figure out how to make the box resume recording after a eas interuption it would be pretty cool, as no other digital cable dvr does that so far.

(well, sa and motorola, anyway.:eek:)

4. Spiff72

Spiff72 Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Sheesh. Can this be turned off??? I am trying to watch a movie here on my Sony DVR, and every 5 minutes it stops playback. This is irritating for a tornado warning that is about 3 counties away. I realize it is a safety thing, but it is the middle of September, for crying out loud.

5. Spiff72

Spiff72 Member

Jul 11, 2004

Advertisements

Hopefully they only do this for the actual emergencies (like tornado warnings). Hopefully they don't do this for TS warnings and winter storm warnings.

6. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    I've only seen it for severe weather emergencies, ie flash flood, or severe thunderstorm warning.

BTW they test it once a week, at varying times.

7. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Can you still watch a recorded program with the cable input disconnected?
    :)

8. Spiff72

Spiff72 Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that! I suppose that would work... :D

9. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Amherst, MA
    ...when I get my new box. Fire drills are supid enough, I really don't need this *********. Hopefully I will be able to resist sending threatening letters to the bastard EAS authorities that get me in legal trouble.

Well at least I don't have to deal with it yet.

10. MikeO

MikeO New Member

Jan 24, 2001
    Central Florida
    This sucks!

For the 2nd week in a row I get the Emergency Banner on my Series3. It appears to be a weekly test ( weekly??? argh!)

after I hit <CLEAR> as it instructs ( the tivo ) to clear the banner it is on a channel. The screen was totally blank, no video or audio. When I pressed LiveTV both tuners were on the same channel (blank). I changed channels then went back to the channel that was blank and the video / audio came back..

sounds like another s3 bug?

I hope this doesn't happen when my tivo is actually recording something..

mike

11. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Amherst, MA
    Hey Tivo,

I don't know whether you do this already or not, but since the Tivo has two tuners, the way this should work--see if you can get the software to do this-- is that the primary tuner should continue recording whatever uninterupted, and only the second tuner should respond the EAS signal, possibly switching it on temporarily for live viewing.

Or better yet, just assume--and I know might be a small leap--that nobody with a Tivo ever watches TV live anymore, so if both tuners are actively recording, it is pointless to even bother with the EAS signals.

12. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Amherst, MA
    Failing that, maybe we could get some home numbers of EAS officials, call them in the middle of the night and start screaming into the phone, and then just say "this was just a test" and hang up. See how those bastards like it!

But hopefully Tivo will fine-tune their software to save us from having to deal with these frustrations.

13. Spiff72

Spiff72 Member

Jul 11, 2004
    That sounds different than what I saw. I had no instruction from the Tivo telling me how to clear the message. The only text I saw (every 5 minutes) appeared to be generated externally in the video feed. I wonder if I had pressed "clear", it would have stopped changing channels every 5 minutes.

14. ytsemike

ytsemike Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Evansville, IN
    My Motorola DCT6412 III will do it (HD on Insight Comm.). Matter of fact, it did it just now recording Bones on Fox. It will interrupt recording, but then go back to the channel and continue recording, breaking the program up into two sections.

15. KenW

KenW New Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Twin Cities
    Did anyone call Tivo and ask them?

16. pinballfan

pinballfan Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Nashua, NH, USA
    Get a grip!

17. Agent86

Agent86 Registered Lurker

Jan 18, 2002
    My CableCard TV does this. I used to be playing an Xbox game on my TV and it would jump back to the TV's tuner and display the EAS testing message.

Its annoying, but hopefully TiVo can work around it somehow so it does not interrupt recordings too badly.

The thing is, assuming something really bad was going down, I have to admit I would want to know about it if I was otherwise completely oblivious to the situation.

It might be nicer if TiVo popped a message on the screen instead of changing to the channel, but I don't know if that is possible given that its part of the CableCard too.