Emergency Alerts holding Mini Vox TVs hostage

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Possie, May 27, 2019.

1. Possie

Possie New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Hello Tivo gurus! I need help...

I am running a Tivo Bolt Vox that connects also to 3 Mini Vox units.

Two days ago we got an Emergency Alert for a Tornado warning, and now these alerts are holding all 3 of my tvs hostage that are using the Mini Vox units. There are no TV signals coming through. (Comcast Xfinity is my cable provider — using cablecard in Bolt Vox). There is just a black screen with that two day old alert that scrolls that will not go away, and we can’t use those TVs. My main TV with the Bolt Vox works fine though and can still watch TV on that one. The other 3 are toast.

We have tried piulling power and rebooting both main Bolt unit and Mini Vox units, but no luck.

Tried calling Tivo tech support, but again another instance of clueless help there. First person (without trying anything) said there was nothing they could do. After many times of being put on hold and frustrating conversation, she came back saying that it was a known issue and that their engineers were working on it and said they would email communicate in “maybe” 3-5 days. At that point I knew I was being blown off completely. She couldn’t tell me how long it has been a “known” issue or anything. I’m seriously regretting purchasing this lousy Tivo system. All I wanted was to save some money by not having to rent devices from cable company.

There just has to be a way to fix this. I just don’t get it....

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so....please how did you fix it? Any ideas to try?

Thanks in advance...
    Possie

2. Possie

Possie New Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Finally this issue was resolved after much hassle from Tivo support.

I’ll also mention from original post that not only were we having a problem with the emergency alert, but also a pushed message before that mentioning the death of the xfinity on demand app on tivo. Initially we had the issue on all 3 mini vox devices. One device mysteriously cleared up and worked again. The other two devices were toast.

After rebooting boxes and pulling cables, we’d get to the home screen that shows tv shows, but couldn’t select anything with the remotes (no live tv showing either). It would then go to a bouncing tivo icon on screen saying to press tivo button or live tv. Nothing worked, nothing bonged. (I explained all this on two occasions with Tivo techs that gave me the same “known issue” song and dance without trying anything.). Tried new remote batteries, no joy.

I finally got Tivo to agree to send me a replacement box at their cost. After plugging the replacement box in and booting and getting to the setup screen and nothing would select with the remote, I called Tivo back and FINALLY got a tech that solved the problem in no time. It was as simple as holding down the Tivo button along with the Red C button for 6 seconds until flashing red light went off. Then I could move and select.

I plugged original device back in, and now it was working normally. I went to other hosed mini device and hit the buttons, and it was magically working again too!

So apparently the remotes somehow got out of IR mode when those alerts came out. It wasn’t a problem with the boxes at all. It wasn’t a “known issue”.

I’m so glad to be back up and running again with my original equipment...but dang these devices are a PITA to troubleshoot.

I hope this post helps someone else who has the same crazy mysterious issue.