Emergency Alert

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kturcotte, Oct 12, 2015.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Just got this on my Roamio. Was in the middle of watching a recording and it kicked into this. Is there anyway to disable this? What happens if something is scheduled to record when this happens?

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The only way to disable it is to put the Roamio into standby mode. If there is a recording during an EAS broadcast and the Roamio is not in standby mode, it will record the EAS broadcast.

3. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    What happens if something is in the middle of recording? Does it always happen at a certain time (I'm not usually awake at this time)?

4. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It usually happens about once a week in the early morning hours (1-3 am). The recording will be interrupted by the EAS message if the unit hasn't been set to standby mode.

5. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Will recordings automatically resume?

6. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    There are 5 other tuners, so unless you're recording 6 shows at the time it happens, it'll pick a free tuner to display the EAS.

--Carlos V.

7. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    There are apparently dozens of different implementations of EAS or EAS-like things. Some of them clobber everything, some of them jerk you off to a special channel. TiVo certainly doesn't implement them very competently whatever is going on. If I'm watching a recording, it always jerks me to live TV then never returns me to the recording at the end of the message. Why it can't put the EAS message on top of the recording, I have no idea. This morning, there was a test message that just had to list the name of every state in the union as pertaining to the test. It took about 20 minutes to stream the whole thing. I've often been tempted to try and get a remote switch that could disconnect the cable that I could use when watching recordings so the EAS messages couldn't get through.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Time Warner Cable in this area does the worst of all options: everything all at once.
    1) They send the digital EAS message to the digital cable device, triggering the crawl
    2) They trigger the digital cable device to change channel to QVC (why that channel? Haven't a clue.)
    3) They superimpose the text output from the EAS receiver over all channels
    4) They play the audio EAS message

Infuriating when it happens. I guess the thought is that if they do all of them, they're covered even if one doesn't happen to work.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My feed is bad too. A Mini gets activated, so there goes a tuner for four hours. No crawl, mine is full screen and +99 dB audio. But only one channel is affected, so I'm blessed.

10. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    When TWC went all digital in my area and encrypted almost all channels, they left 2 channels unencrypted and QVC was one of them (I think the local ION channel is the other). Maybe they intentionally leave QVC in clearQAM and switch the channel to QVC in case people are having problems decrypting channels at the time an EAS message is sent out and they want to make sure that even people who can't decrypt channels can still receive the message. In addition to the 2 unencrypted digital channels, my TWC service also left 1 analog channel as a test pattern. Potentially during an EAS message, that analog test pattern will also display the EAS message.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    ??? When it's happened here, every recording has the alert on it. Whether I'm using two, three, six tuners, etc. At one point FiOS was doing the EAS testing during prime time. FOrtunately it only lasted a few days like that. All my recordings were messed up when the alert was broadcast.

12. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you can find a filter to block the downsteam OOB carrier (for SA/Cisco it is probably 75.5MHz), you will just need to unblock it every few weeks so the CableCARD can receive the Refresh Hit. I know on SA/Cisco once the CableCARD loses the DAVIC FDC (OOB) Lock, it will not display an EAS Test, and the CableCARD Sub Expiration date is usually 30+ days from the last Refresh Hit.

I am lucky.
    The EAS test just scrolls overlaid across the LiveTV channel, no audio, whichever channel you are on. It does not effect recordings at all.

It takes me to LiveTV from any other current activity, recording playback, Netfilx, etc. and when it is done you can just go back. If tuners are available, it will also send a LiveTV Tuner to each Mini, but if they are recording, the recordings takes priority.

Over a year ago, Cox also implemented HUB specific EAS suppression, so I only get the test for my area of the county, once a week, and once a month. I used to get one for every area/county served by Cox in Arizona.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  13. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    If this is affecting your recordings, blame your cable company not TiVo. They're the ones with the botched implementation. The EAS messages in my area are a separate digital signal, and don't affect recordings at all. If you're watching a recording, the TiVo will drop you out to live TV to watch the EAS (as required by the FCC), but you can go right back to your recording where you left off. Things that are recording during the EAC message will go right on recording and will not see the EAS message at all. As far as I'm concerned, TiVo's EAC implementation works perfectly, and I wouldn't want to see it change.

If EAC messages are disrupting your recordings, write to your cable company and ask them to switch to a system that doesn't.

14. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    If it worked perfectly, I wouldn't have to "go back" to the recording I was watching, the TiVo would do it for me. In fact, if it worked perfectly, the TiVo wouldn't jerk me out of the recording in the first place, it would just pause it and put the EAS message on top of it instead of insisting on a live TV channel to stick the message on.

15. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Good point. Okay, I concede that that would be better.

16. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Do EAS messages also impact OTA only TiVos? I'm considering getting the 4-tuner OTA Roamio, but I'm really not liking what I've read about how they handle emergency alerts.

17. belfert

belfert New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    How is any of this Tivo's fault? This summer the emergency alert system has been activated by Comcast several time due to weather warnings. Comcast broadcasts the alert on all channels and it gets recorded by Tivo since it is technically part of the program.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, are you SURE it's really being broadcast on all channels?

That I think is one of the "types" of EAS, but it can also just be a signal that changes the tuner to some other channel.. and it's embedded in your program, so it's *effectively* the same but *technically* different.

19. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    Being forced to handle them isn't TiVo's fault. Doing things like dumping you out of a recording you were watching, then not sending you back where you left off when the alert is over *is* TiVo's fault. I've had it not even remember the recording current playback position so when I manually restarted the recording, I had to fast forward to get back where I was.

20. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

I think there is a difference in how this EAS works between cable co.s I have Comcast CT and never had a EAS recorded into any program I was recording at the time of an EAS, when I am taken out of a recording I was watching because of an EAS, TiVo does keep my place for me when I go back, but I have to go back on my own.