Emergency Alert Tests Interrupt Recorded Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

OK, I know there have been similar complaints before.

The problem seems to be EVERY government and police agency within a cable system's coverage area runs these EAS tests (weekly, it says). This is not about a hurricane coming or a missing kid. This is every police department, the weather bureau, FEMA and god knows who else running a test (or maybe somebody got bored and decided to push the button and see what happens).

(1) Do they need to run these tests every week? (2) Do all these different departments need to run tests? (I've had as many as four interruptions during a one hour recorded show.)

And (3) is there some "back door" command to stop Tivo from dropping out of recorded shows for these "tests?"
    :thumbsdown:

2. Bones Justice

Bones Justice New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I think it's a legal requirement for the cable box or cable card to switch to whatever channel is doing the alert. Even when I'm watching my cable box and not my TiVo, these tests interrupt anything I'm watching, even on-demand shows.

I can understand why TiVo has to comply with live recordings. What I don't get is why it interrupts when I'm using "Save to VCR", when I'm obviously not watching. The only solution to that problem is for me to unplug the cable while I'm saving something but I have to do it when I'm sure nothing is set to record from live television.

My only other advice is to write to your representative and ask for the laws to be changed. I can't think of anything else!

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Put the Tivo in standby when you're done with it and EAS won't interrupt.

Yes, it sucks.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    1). Only use your Tivo to watch previously recorded shows.

2). Put your Tivo in stand-by when your not watching previously recorded shows. Putting the Tivo in stand-by will prevent the recording of the EAS tests.

5. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il

Advertisements

they run at like 1-2 AM normally, and every electronic device has a sticker on it saying it must accept anything like this. It's a legal requirement. If you're recording something that late, i don't know what to tell you other than maybe what Steve said above about standby.

6. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Our local CBS runs the test once a week around 10 AM right during The Price is Right. I for one find it hard to believe the federal law says the test should be run weekly. I believe it should work the same as they do the siren test first Tuesday of the month. Also CBS stated on the 10 PM news for the first time ever all networks across the nation were doing a EAS test on the same day (Nov 9).

7. subarr

subarr New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Georgia
  8. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Your signature says you upgraded to a 1g drive. I bet those test eat up all your space. That would really suck.