Emergency Alert System test makes both of my tivo hds go blank

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tootal2, Jul 16, 2009.

1. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005

Advertisements

Today at 12:02 am both of my tivo hds got a blank screen because of the eas system. at 12:03 the show came back on. Will this problem be fixed soon?
    My tivo s2 recorded the eas test at 12:02 am with no problem

2. Davis Freeberg

Davis Freeberg New Member

May 23, 2006
    I've had the same thing happen on my series 3. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with a government restriction. It's one thing to time shift commercials, another an Amber alert. They want to be able to reach all consumers at once even if we are watching recorded TV. Unfortunately, this usually cuts off whatever you're recording and can lock up the DVR. I haven't seen reports of this happening to the generic boxes, but I'd bet that they have the same issue.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    All cable systems and cable set-top boxes (both from TiVo and the cable company) are required by federal law to interrupt viewing with these alerts. All boxes are temporarily switched over to a separate cable channel with information on the alert (if there is any).

If you set your TiVo to standby, which disables video output to the TV, it will ignore these EAS messages so they don't interrupt your recordings.

4. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Too bad some pinheads at TiVo buried the standby feature in a sub-menu. Which might be OK, except that the main menu has a variable number of items. So, to standby, you must press:

• TiVo button
    • 5 * down arrow (or page down then variable number of up arrows)
    • Messages & Settings
    • page down
    • Standby

In techno-nerd utopia, the pinheads who came up with that UI design would be dragged out of the building, lined up in front of a brick wall, and shot.

I'd settle for the pinheads being fired after being told: "you're obviously too f***ing stupid to work on UI design".

Alas, in the real world I'm sure they're all high-fiving each other over what a great job they did, blissfully unaware of what pinheads they really are.

5. cjw2001

cjw2001 Member

Feb 10, 2003

Advertisements

you can get there in 4 buttons -- <tivo> + <slow> + <advance> + <select>

6. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Hey, that's a neat trick. I'll have to review the list of codes for others that could be useful. I assume it's on there. The only two I use regularly are SPS30S for 30 second skip and Tivo-2 for "To Do List". That last one is very, very mnemonic.

HOWEVER, I bet that not 1&#37; of TiVo users know your sequence for standby. Maybe not even 1% of TiVo Community people. So my point remains. For the vast majority of TiVo users, it's very hard to put a TiVo HD into standby. Much harder than it should be. And, yes, I have had recordings ruined by the annoying EAS tests.

7. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    What does standby mode have to do with a blank screen because of the Emergency Alert System? I never use standby.

thanks

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Federal law requires that EAS messages interrupt active video output, so that's not something TiVo or any other cable box can "fix." Whether you see a blank screen or an actual EAS test message on the TivoHD would depend on your cable company's configuration.

Standby disables video output, so EAS messages can be legally ignored and don't interrupt recordings. Standby obviously does not do anything for you if you are watching TV at the time.

Most people do not bother with standby, but if you are in an area that broadcasts a lot of EAS messages, then it may be worth using. If you have a universal remote control, like a Harmony, you can set a single button to engage standby. Instructions for that can be found in the Using TiVo link in my signature.

9. dkenglish7

dkenglish7 New Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Oakland CA
    My Series 3 goes to a black screen and seems to hang for every EAS, even while watching Live TV. (Yes, I am sure someone will flame me for watching live, if the forum holds true to form.) It does NOT show the Emergency Alert message on my screen - the only reason I know it was an alert was the adjacent Comcast box which flashed "EAS" during the time the Series 3 seemed to brick.

10. JTYoung1

JTYoung1 Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    The Harmony remotes will put your TiVo in standby with the off button if you tell it to turn the TiVo off when you turn everything else off.