Emergency Alert System, recorded and freaked us out!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Adam1115, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1 of 13
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish

Advertisements

Ok, I have NEVER seen EAS activated on my series 3. I assumed it was because I don't have cablecards.

Today I'm watching a prerecorded show and a Tornado warning was recorded. At first we thought it was an actual warning (meaning our show was interrupted), but finally realized it RECORDED that alert.

First, doesn't this defeat the whole point of an EAS, that I can't tell if it's a 'real' one or not?

And how does this work on analog cable...?

2. Jun 5, 2008 #2 of 13
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Is it possible you're seeing the television station just broadcasting an alert the traditional way rather than seeing an electronically delivered EAS message? Because I really don't think the electronically delivered version is possible to record. What channel did it appear on? One that might have local content inserted or one that's entirely national and/or no commercials?

Oh, and I see you said no CableCARDs are in the unit. Then I'm pretty sure that you definitely didn't see an EAS message decoded by the receiver because that's part of the CableCARD functionality.

3. Jun 5, 2008 #3 of 13
    Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    Actually, if you're tuned to a digital station w/o cards, you can also get an EAM. If you're tuned to analog, it's most likely that the cable company took over all the analog feeds, and broadcast the same video on all frequencies.

4. Jun 5, 2008 #4 of 13
    BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    That's the likely scenario. I got a surprise in the same way a few months ago. Was watching a recorded show and all of a sudden the weather warning came on. I'm pretty sure that CableOne had pumped that alert into every channel, so it wouldn't have mattered what I was recording, it was getting interrupted.

5. Jun 5, 2008 #5 of 13
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish

Advertisements

Nope, it was on Comedy Central. I can see if I can TTG it and post it.

Nope, analog cable. Could be that they took over all analog feeds, I didn't consider that.

6. Jun 5, 2008 #6 of 13
    vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    I was on submarines in the Navy. Somebody had recorded some cassettes (this was the 80's) of radio stations. We would play these in the wardroom while underway and submerged. This one bozo walked in, heard the radio announcer say it was raining and went up to ask the Officer of the Deck if that was true. Beware of recordings.

This same guy had two orange Ford Pintos, one for parts.

7. Jun 5, 2008 #7 of 13
    hsfjr

hsfjr (no subject)

Apr 13, 2002
    SDV-land...
    Cars look so much nicer when the painted parts match. He has considered the possibility of needing to move a door or the hood from one car to another. (But it is funny if you ignore the painted parts.)

8. Jun 5, 2008 #8 of 13
    doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    What annoys me about the EAS messages is not only that it records it, but I don't seem to be able to fast forward past it! I'm not even sure I can change the channel, or call up the guide, or Now Playing, or anything!

9. Jun 5, 2008 #9 of 13
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    As mentioned above, the real "inserted" EAS alerts don't record.

I have a non-TiVo non-cable DVR, and when it gets an alert, it stops recording and only picks back up again once the alert is over.

As a result it loses that portion of whatever I was recording, but on playback the recording itself just jumps from the last frame before the alert started to the first frame after it finished.

As for fast forwarding past it, you can't anyway if it's live, and it doesn't record. As for not being able to do anything with the TiVo during the alert, that's the point. They don't want you being able to shut the alert off in favor of something else.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is apparently required by CableLabs and/or the FCC.

If you put your (S3/TivoHD) Tivo into Standby, apparently it won't switch to the EAS channel. That's yet another good reason to put a Tivo into standby even though most people seem to think it's useless.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    For some reason, my Comcast seems to do this VERY often at almost exactly the same time (~10:45 AM, IIRC) every couple of weeks. I used to record the 10-11 Daily Show/Colbert Report reruns, and would VERY often miss part of Colbert's interview because of this.
    It really ticked me off. (I now happen to record the 1AM-2AM block, and realize I haven't seen this issue lately.)

The stupid thing is that the message says that the FCC requires this.. Yet it doesn't happen on the main !@$# broadcast (on cable) stations.. at least not during prime time.

12. rkolsen

rkolsen New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Its suprising, because I have gotten atleast two prior EAS messages on it, within a week, and I couldnt even go to the menu during the test.

I just experience this today I recorded a Kathy Griffin episode, and it popped up during the recording, 12 hours later after it was issued. I freaked out a little because like you I thought something happened. This time it was a real message concering an Amber Alert. Thankfully the missing child was found a few hours later.

Ryan

13. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    I'm pretty sure it was in a recording. Either that, or the TiVo broke in to my playback with a live one. I'll have to check closer next time.