Emergency alert message

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brian1269, Apr 28, 2011.

1. brian1269

brian1269 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Kingsport, TN
    OK for the first time ever I got an "Emergency alert message" on my Series 3 tonight. In fact, I got about eight of them. They kept interrupting the recorded program I was watching and you can't do anything for a minute or two until it's over.

I am all for having important emergency alerts pop up, but eight within an hour or so is overkill. OK, there is bad weather, I saw it the first time, and the second, and the third, etc.

2. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I hope you realize that each one had a different alert area listed. I have family down in MS and was quite worried as the tornado they were tracking went between Tupelo and Columbus where most of my family lives so I was keeping tabs on the alerts. They were issuing a new alert every few minutes as the 60 mph tornado made it's way across the state. It, in fact, touched down 5 miles south of my mother-in-law. You would think in the day and age were we can track these things this closely that people would be grateful to get alerted to imminent danger. I guess some people would rather drink their kool-aid and watch TV.:confused:

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Unfortunately if you are watching Netflix, you are bounced completely out to live TV and, after being forced to watch the message for 2 minutes, have to drill back through the menus to resume what you were watching. The whole thing is too much big brother for me. I think a notice that an alert has been posted is fine but with the option to skip it at your discretion.

4. brian1269

brian1269 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Kingsport, TN
    Yeah, you missed the point entirely. Good job. I said I am glad I get the alert, but not repetitive ones every five minutes (they said the same thing, same areas) and not so intrusive. It also kicks you back to live TV and won't let you dismiss it until it is over. It takes over your entire machine. Quite a bit more than just an alert giving you information that you can review and then clear.

5. qwerk

qwerk New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    What you saw came from the cable company.. NOT tivo...

6. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    So you were so annoyed by these repeated alerts that you attentively listened to each one? Like I said they were doing new alerts about every three minutes on the storm that killed more than 300 people across the South and each time they added another area and/or removed one as the tornado swept across the state. Call your local rep and complain, but Tivo is doing what the FCC requires.

Actually in came from the national weather service. The cable company just passes it through; doing what the FCC requires of them. So again, if the national weather service deems it necessary to send out these alerts, they are probably serious.

7. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually, the FCC doesn't require Tivo to yank you out of your current context, forget everything about what it was doing, and not give you any way to get back. The only requirement is that you must see and hear the alert, all the rest is thanks to incompetent Tivo software.

8. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Yes, the way Tivo handles it is very poor like many other things. It's a great DVR, but stops short on almost all other features.

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47: Telecommunication, Part 11, Section 11.51.5:
    Since TiVo is a third party set-top box, it is unknown which cable systems are using the method (I've bolded above) for compliance, and therefore TiVo rightfully and properly programmed their software to account for such systems. There would be much bigger issues with compliance and liability if TiVo had not programmed their software they way they did.

10. DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    Well, I had the same thing happen on my Tivo yesterday, though it only came up about 4 or 5 times since I am in NC and did not get it quite as bad as TN did. It did list a different county or counties as it popped up. My problem with it is that there is no way to dismiss it. I don't mind it coming up, especially if there is a tornado in the area but I wish they would let you dismiss it.

Also, what is this about tuning to another station to get more information? My Tivo has never changed channels on an Emergency alert. Yes, it has dropped out of watching recordings but it never changed channels. I was watching the DIY channel yesterday when the alert came through. Never heard a beep or any other sound just had the alert running across the top of the screen. Later I heard some other tvs in the house give off the emergency tone that the broadcasters send out but nothing from Tivo.

11. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    Sure, they can do any compliant thing they want to make sure you see the alert as required, but none of that has anything to do with the utter incompetence displayed by failing to save the context they yanked you out of and failing to restore it when the alert is finished.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Whatever happened to TiVo just popping up the message on a "window" (and not cutting out the portion of the program you were recording when the message appeared)? Was that just a test of some sort? (For all I know, it was the cable company that had switched something - my local cable operator switches everybody to a single channel (and then takes its time switching everyone back to what they were watching when the alert is over).)

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I will periodically get an "EAS" test which sometimes, although not always, locks up my S3 box. Have to unplug then plug it back in to re-boot...

14. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I didn't mind the alerts so much, I know they're necessary, but I was at a friend's house at the time watching his TWC box (instead of at home with my Tivo and OTA) and they were scrolling it every few minutes near the top of the screen. I've only seen them before at the bottom, so you could still watch your show. It's kind of like subtitles, you can still read and watch (or ignore and watch). But this was absurd, trying to watch a movie with an almost constant scroll literally right across the faces of the actors. We finally gave up and got drunk instead.

15. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I don't know who does it, but it drives me crazy!! As the OP stated, the entire DVR becomes unusable for a couple of minutes. And it is LOUD!!

Here in Arkansas, we've had so many lately that I've began immediately hitting the mute button as soon as it starts because it's so stinkin' LOUD!

I realize the warning are important, but there has to be a better way. What about a scroll saying "There is emergency in your area, please tune to channel whatever". Then give me the choice to switch channels or not.

I live on a mountain. The twenty bajillion flood warnings we've had the past few days do not affect me. But each time one is issued, my TiVo is taken over.

16. rablake

rablake Member

Mar 31, 2005
    My S2 TIVO hooked to Comcast also locks up leaving EAS on the display and the next season pass records the wrong channel. Need a solution.

17. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The worst part about these emergency notices is that if you are recording something, they get recorded, too. Most of my recording actually takes place when I'm not watching the TV. So if it's an Amber Alert, I may not see it for days. Why should they record? I don't mind them popping up when the TV is on because the entire intent is to inform you of danger or request your help. Great! But why record them? Most weather notices have an expiration date: "For the next 24-36 hours, there is a flash flood warning..." But if I don't watch that recorded program until 5 days later, what's the point?

I just think there should be a way to pass the notice directly to the TV without recording it.

My 25 cents...

18. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    I think there are somewhere close to a million different ways the alerts work. Where I am (comcast in Delray/Boca Florida), the alerts don't get recorded, but they do yank you out of a recording you are watching and then you have to go back to the beginning of the recording and fast forward to get back where you left off.

I want a separate box that plays the alerts and strips them out of the cable signal which it then passes in an alert free form to the tivo. If I happen to pile a bunch of soundproofing material on top of that box when I'm getting weather updates every ten minutes, then it will just be my hard luck if I miss the update that advises me to go outside rather than stay inside :).

19. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    YOU saw it the fisrt time but your neighbore, friend, brother or mother may not have!

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Again, put your Tivos into standby when not using them, then (at least according to info others have posted), the alerts won't affect recordings (e.g. the channel won't change).