Emergence - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Sep 24, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Emergence -- new show on ABC.

From wiki:
    A police chief on Long Island's Peconic Bay takes in a young child whom she finds near the site of a mysterious accident but soon discovers that the girl has no memory of what has happened or who she is. The child's mystery becomes more intense than expected when the chief starts investigating the history that led up to the accident and the questions of how and why it happened. A series of bizarre electronic disruptions, unexplained forces, and a strange cryptic symbol are also at play, all tied to the young girl.

Good start. Strong cast. I tend to be a little hesitant when it comes to ABC's mystery/thriller/dramas. Burnt too many times. But I like the cast, especially Allison Tollman (Fargo). And the writers did a decent job of balancing mystery with character development. We'll see how it goes.

2. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I don't see it going for long. The actress playing Piper is going to obviously age if it goes to a 2nd or 3rd season. That will require time jumps to keep up appearances.

3. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    That's not really a big concern for me at this point. We haven't been given any indication as to how time will pass in the story yet. As long as they don't force themselves into a slow-moving time frame like Lost or The Walking Dead did, there shouldn't be a problem with the actors/characters aging.

My biggest concern with it is that it feels like I've already seen a half dozen variations on the same story in recent years. It's like ABC has a Mad Libs style script floating around and they send it to a different set of writers each year to fill in the blanks, hoping to make the next Lost.

The one thing it has going for it is a cast of actors that I like to watch. Tolman, Brown, and Faison are all excellent, so I'll stick with it for a while longer to see how it progresses.

4. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I'll watch this until I don't, but the concept's been done a zillion times.

The problem with this type of story and network TV is they try to squeeze in 20+ episode seasons. The idea has a shelf life. I might have heard they were going to limit this one.

Another issue is network tries to make these shows too focused on relationships. Hopefully they will keep the story confined to a family trying to keep things together and not add other love interests. That's when I can't take it anymore.

Thinking of Manifest, which seems like the same show.

verdugan likes this.
  5. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Haven't seen the show yet, but a part of it was filmed in our small town.

deb

6. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I like these kinds of shows but they always get cancelled so I don't even give 'em a chance anymore. Somebody PM me in a few years if the show lasts and actually has a finale.

Then I'll binge it.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Well said. This is exactly what I was referring to in my post, about being burnt by ABC. They have this endless stream of sci-fi/mystery dramas, that always ALWAYS end up going off-track and self-destructing. They really don't seem to understand what it takes to keep an audience for this type of series.

8. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    What network does?

Just asking. Can't think of any recently that last. Lost might be the last successful one and that was ABC.

It's a limited premise.

astrohip likes this.
  9. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Anyone know when Manifest returns? I don't see it on the fall schedules.

10. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    The proverbial "midseason".

11. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Although it's true that this was basically just an amalgam of elements from other shows and movies, the writing and especially the acting were considerably stronger than usual, so I enjoyed it a surprising amount even as I recognized that it was basically recycled material. (The Poltergeist scene was the only one that literally made me roll my eyes.) Tolman in particular is fantastic, and the young actresses (often a weak link) were also pretty solid.

I read an article that was like, we have a plan! it'll move fast and answer your questions! really, we promise, a plan! But they always say that. I'll keep watching for a while and hope this is the one that pulls it all together and doesn't get cancelled in 15 minutes.

tivotvaddict, Family and stellie93 like this.
  12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The good news is it's a Tara Butters/Michele Fazekas show, and they've got some pretty good history (Reaper, Dollhouse, Agent Carter, some Captain Marvel comics). So I'd say this has a better-than-average chance of being, well, better than average.

tim1724 likes this.
  13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I enjoyed it, but I agree about the similarity with other shows done in the past. Network TV just can't seem to find any fresh new ideas to work with. I loved Allison Tolman in Fargo and so far she seems to have picked up right where she left off. She seems to have been stereotyped as a cop in a small town in each of her two major TV roles. It works for her so I'm not complaining. I'll stick with it to see where it goes. Maybe they'll finally break the mold with the genre and make it to a 2nd season, unlike all of the show's predecessors. You would think the network execs would take things like that into account before they approve a "new" series.

tim1724 likes this.
  14. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Tolman is great. (I wish the Fargo series had stuck with her!) The rest of the cast is pretty good too. The writing so far is pretty meh but pilots for this kind of thing are hard so I'll give it a few more episodes. But unless they break out of the formula I'm not sure I can stick with it. Of course ABC will most likely kill it off anyway, unless it gets stellar ratings (which I don't really expect).

15. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I too liked Tolman in Fargo. One thing I don't like, so far, is the ex-husband character. Is he really needed? I don't want to see inter-character conflict. Maybe he'll end up being all onboard and not grating.

16. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Hey Deb - where is that? I was surprised they said it was Long Island - I thought the place looked gorgeous - - - - (I live in Manhattan) -

Emergence and Evil were my two favorite shows of the new shows that premiered this week.
    LOVED Alison Tolman and LOVED that she got a lead.
    I am in.

I jumped outta my seat at the turn over of the car during the kidnapping...

17. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Keyport, NJ. We’re told they’ll be filming here again at some point. We still haven’t watched, but we’ve been busy.

https://www.thejournalnj.com/articles/abc-studios-to-film-television-show-in-keyport-emergence/

deb

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

I'll have to keep an eye out.
    Although it's been a long time since I was in the Keyport, Keansburg, Leonardo area.

Agreed that this show is a bit of pastiche of other "Sci Fi Mystery" shows that we've seen before.
    But it seems to be packaged well and it's a good cast.

I'll give it a couple more episodes.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. At least the first episode was well written. And the cast is superb. But, I still feel that shows like this always wind up on a predictable path. Two or three episodes that are really intriguing as they work toward the big reveal (that always happens). Once they reveal the big conspiracy (because having fake NTSB agents there smells of conspiracy...of course), then these type of shows always unravel as the writers just don't know where to go from there. We'll see, maybe it will surprise me. Heck Lost lasted a few SEASONS before it went off the rails, so maybe that can happen here. For now, I'm in. Enjoyed it.

20. carriepete

carriepete Tivo user since 2000

Nov 21, 2005
    W. Hartford, CT