Elite worth it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BankZ, Sep 18, 2011.

1. BankZ

BankZ New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I just finished my basement and need a DVR. I have a TiVo 3 HD upstairs. Should I wait for the elite? Are there any other differences other than 4 tuners and a bigger drive? Is it worth the $900 its going to cost me?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Do you need OTA? If so the ELite does not do OTA.
    Will you have conflicts with only two tuners? IF so then the Elite makes sense.

3. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Depends do you have the Series 3 or a Tivo HD? The Elite is THX certified, for whatever that is worth, which could be the same as what you currently have, if you have a Series 3 or a Tivo HD XL. This wouldn't be true of a base Tivo HD. Also, some of the menus will be in HD, not all have been converted yet. Some see poor performance with the HD menus and disable them, this does seem to be at least somewhat connected to the quality of internet access you have. Also, with the HD menus active, you will have a meter showing how full the Tivo's hard drive is. Almost forgot, you can use an iPad/iPhone as a remote.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Do you need 4 more tuners? Do you care about THX certification? If not you could buy a Premiere and upgrade the hard drive to 2TB for under $600. Until someone actually gets a test model we will not know if there are any other reasons to go with the Elite instead of a normal Premiere.

Good Luck,

5. BankZ

BankZ New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I do get conflicts now with only two tuners. However, now I will have 2 boxes.

6. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    If I was you, I'd wait 3-6 months and see how the Premiere works out, particularly to see if streaming functions properly, and if the Preview launches as expected (it sounds like a whole-home solution might benefit you in the long run).

Don't assume because it's Tivo, that it will work right when you buy it. That's so 1990's.

7. BankZ

BankZ New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    The problem is I kinda need something now. I had to go get a comcast DVR :(

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    We already know streaming itself worked with the Premire. Although there were issues with multiple streams or multiple recordings and streaming. I was streming content from my Premieres on a daily basis with no issues when they had it enabled. As long as I wasn't trying to have the Premiere do four or six things concurrently it was fine.

9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The key being that you said "worked", not "works". :)

I've stopped giving this company the benefit of the doubt. Either it's functional and confirmed to be functional by the user community, or the feature doesn't exist.

10. vitos

vitos New Member

Feb 2, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm in kinda the same boat.... My TiVo HD box is dying on me and I'm not sure if I should get a Premier, or wait for the Elite. I guess I could ditch TiVo all together, but I love the simplicity and really want this company to turn things around.

Thoughts? :confused:

11. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You mean like recording 4 separate channels while streaming?

I don't mean to sound like a fly in the ointment but I suspect they needed more processor with 4 HD tuners but we'll see...

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    "Recording" actually takes very little CPU processing power on the TiVo. It is just shoving a data stream from point A to point B.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Well the hard drive is more than capable. I was doing more than four HD streams on PCs many years ago with the old slow ide 5400rpm hard drives. So hopefully the software will be up to the task.

RCN has a beta program with the quad tuner TiVo. Does anyone have some info from them?

14. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town

If you have a Iphone,Ipad or a Android based equivalent. You my wan't to go way of the Premier/Elite. The cheapest way would be to replace the failing Hard Drive if that is the issue.

If I had a older TiVo which wasn't Life-timed, I would buy a Premier/Elite along with a lifetime. When I spend over $200 for something(Most of the time) I plan on having it longer then 3 years.

15. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The simple answer is no. While having 4 tuners is really good and a 2TB drive is nice. The only real plus to this box are the tuners, because you can always upgrade the drive yourself for less. So $900 is way to much! But then again, maybe you're used to paying more to use the latest electronics now. The rest of us will wait until the price comes down.

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    They are under NDA unfortunately. They picked a tester from each region, but didn't announce who due to the NDA.

17. BankZ

BankZ New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    To make things harder, I just got a promo for a TiVo Premiere + Lifetime for $450

18. dlarf01

dlarf01 New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Check craigslist for Premiere boxes with lifteime. I'm in the Minneapolis area and have bought 2 of them in the past 3 months for around $350 each, and they are in perfect condition. I was surprised at the price at first, but when I looked around more, I found more of these deals (at least in my area).

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Only $350? Crap. That is not what I wanted to hear since I wanted the sale of two of my Premieres to at least cover the bulk of the cost of the Elite.
    Hopefully the extended warranties on them will help the sale.