Elite Sound Effects

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by generaltso, Oct 18, 2011.

1. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I've got an Elite set to Dolby Digital with audio and video going to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI. I do not use the Picture in Picture window. This is the exact setup that I used with a non-Elite Premiere.

With the Elite, I don't get sound effects on the HD menus. If I go to an SD menu, the sound effects come back. Once they're back, I still have them when I go back to an HD menu. But if I go to any program with DD audio, the sound effects are gone again when I go back to any HD menu. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Switch Dolby Digital to PCM.

Settings and Messages -> Settings -> Audio -> Dolby Digital -> Dolby Digital to PCM

3. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Thanks, but I don't want to use PCM. If I want my receiver to get the Dolby Digital bitstream, I need to keep the TiVo set to Dolby Digital. This is how my Premiere was set. I understand that I won't get sound effect during a program since the TiVo is just passing along the DD stream. But I should get the sound effect while in the TiVo menu. At least, that's how it worked with the Premiere.

4. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    There is no way to make it work the way you want without changing that setting.

5. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I appreciate the help, but I don't think you're understanding. It worked fine with the Premiere. If I were to change the setting to PCM, I would give up 5.1 audio entirely. I understand that there are no sound effects while watching a show (i.e., ff bloops), but there should be sound effect while in the menu as long as the PiP window is turned off.

With the Premiere set to Dolby Digital, the audio would change to PCM any time you went into the menu. With the Elite, this behavior seems to be different. If the last audio stream that the Elite output was DD, it seems to stay on DD when you go into the HD menu. If you go to a part of the menu that's SD, it switches to PCM audio. Then it will stay on PCM audio even if you go back into an HD menu screen, which makes the sound effect audible again. But if I play another show with DD audio, the sound effects are gone again when I go into the HD menu.

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If the behavior is different from a base Premiere, I'd call and report it to Tivo as a bug.

7. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    That's my plan, but I wanted to see if anyone else was seeing the same behavior first.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Do you have the window in the upper right corner? To get the sound effects in the HDUI you need to turn off this window, since when playing back any content in DD, the DD audio is still being sent when the program is playing in this window.

9. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I have the PiP window turned off.

10. Goldwing2001

Goldwing2001 Goldwing2001

Sep 30, 2006
    Honolulu,...
    I have the same issue. Never had this issue with my Premiere XL either. called TiVo support....they told me that losing the Tivo sound effects is normal and was surprised the sound effects worked on the Premiere XL. He told me I would have to change to "digital to PCM" if I wanted the sound effects in the main menu or my shows menu.

11. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    That's the problem with the regular TiVo support reps. We know their product better than they do. It's normal to lose the sound effects while watching a show. It's not normal to lose them when in the TiVo menu. Telling people to give up surround sound to get sound effects in the menu is really bad advice. Maybe this will break for the non-Elite boxes too when they get 14.9.

12. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Definately sounds like a bug.

13. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    The trick is getting the bug report to somebody at TiVo that will actually listen.

14. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I contacted TiVo Support on this issue. As expected, they said that they've never heard of the problem, so they recommended exchanging my Elite for a new one. I explained that this appears to be a software bug, so an exchange wouldn't fix the problem. The next recommendation was to submit a Feature Request. I wasn't aware that fixing bugs was considered a Feature Request.

15. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    My Series 3 exhibited this behavior from Day 1, so I'm used to it. I don't know that I'd want the bloops back.

16. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    This.

17. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Really? You don't get any sound effects when navigating the TiVo menu on your S3? Are you sure the sound effects are turned on?

18. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    This is a bug. I can see on my receiver that when the video window is turned on TiVo is outputting DD5.1. When I turn the window off all source lights turn off which tells me TiVo is not outputting audio at all or it's in an unknown format.

On my Premiere when the video window is turned off it outputs what my receiver calls PL II (it's a Yamaha).

19. generaltso

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Thanks Andy. Now that we know it's a bug that's easy to reproduce, how do we make sure that TiVo knows about it so they can work on a fix?

20. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...
    Switching to PCM shouldn't "give up sourround sound" - it's just being decoded in the Tivo rather than in your receiver.