Elite not remembering place in show; please help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by powereli, Oct 24, 2011.

1. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Here's the issue:

A show is recording (for instance tonight the World Series). I'll watch some of it, then navigate away, and watch something else.

When I return to the World Series, the recording starts at the BEGINNING again, which is completely frustrating.

Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks in advance.

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I just want to make sure you aren't just seeing how Tivos have always worked. In order for it to remember your place, you have to start the show from the now playing list. Then go back to it through the now playing list. It just wasn't clear from your post if you started it from there or just with live TV.

3. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Roger that.

Again; I start a show.. watch for a while.. then use the tivo button or the 'left' arrow to navigate back to the 'now playing' list. I watch something else. When I go back to the first show (in this case the world series), it starts from the BEGINNING again.

Very annoying. Please help.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Are you using "Play" shortcut to resume play from "My Shows" screen? Perhaps that shortcut is broken with the new software. To avoid using "Play" shortcut from My Shows right click into a show and choose "Resume play" explicitly (forget the exact words) instead and see if that works.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Play from a *folder* doesn't remember place, IIRC.

i.e. you have to start an individual show (that doesn't mean you have to go INTO the individual episode, just don't hit play on the folder name).

6. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    I just tried it again, and it again was broken. Started the world series from the beginning of the game again.

There is only one episode of the world series. No folder full of them.

I hit 'play', and it started from the beginning.

Anyone else having this issue?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just tried it on my ELite with a program I was watching a couple of hours ago. I just went to the show in the My SHows list and pressed play and it started from the point I left off earlier.

8. OC7

OC7 Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Yes, I have had this issue on my regular two tuner Premiere for a while now (using the HDUI). It only happens when I leave shows and then return to them while they are still recording (bouncing between two current sporting events, for example). The problem is intermittent (doesn't happen every time). The only way to prevent the problem is to pause the show prior to pressing the left arrow - it will then pick up where you left off when you go back to it via the My Shows menu.

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Instead of "play" did you try right arrow into the show details and choosing "resume play" instead? If there is no "resume play" option then you know that the pause point is not being saved.

10. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    OC7, thanks... I'll try that.

But what a hassle?! I'm not happy with that...

11. kerz

kerz New Member

Nov 8, 2002
    I have the exact same thing, here's my set of steps to repro, which should for sure work (and did up until recently):

Start a show, 30 sec. skip a bunch (not needed, but used to get further in to be sure) then arrow left to go back to the show listing. Show page shows 'Resume Playing'. Select that, show starts back at the beginning. Every time. Every show. F@#$.

12. powereli

powereli New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    I can't believe how ANNOYING that is.

Glad someone else is experiencing it (no offense Kerz) because it makes me think I'm not crazy.

ANY FIXES?

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Did you report the problem to TiVo?

14. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    Do you have the Video window disabled in the menus? I've never seen this problem, but I am trying to see if there is some setting that I don't have?

On a side note I HATE the fact that if I left arrow out of a show to get back to the menus, the show continues to play in the Video window.

15. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    happened to me too last night, I just started hitting "pause" before I left the show and that is a workaround to come back to the same point

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

When I do that the show keeps playing in the window.

17. kerz

kerz New Member

Nov 8, 2002
    I can't used the godawful Adobe menus, so I've gone back to the old school ones, just FYI. I haven't tried to see if it's that, but will when I get home.

18. HookdOnTivonics

HookdOnTivonics Member

Aug 7, 2002
    NC
    I've experienced the same thing, usually while watching football games:
    -go to My Shows
    -start watching a show that is being recorded
    -watch/skip ahead for a while
    -use the left arrow on the 4-way to get into the My Shows list
    or
    -go to the guide and pick another live show
    -go back to My Shows
    -find the show you were watching/recording in step 2
    -press the Play button
    -it starts at the beginning

I'm pretty sure it didn't work that way on my Series 3 or HD models.

I reported it today, but I'm not holding my breath.

While I was on the phone, I discovered that selecting the show first and then selecting Resume Playing seemed to actually resume from the point where I left off.

19. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    This issue has existed on the Premiere since they were released a few years ago. It happens to me quite a bit on Sundays, watching the NFL games. If I have two games recording at the same time, I like to watch one game on "Tivo time" (i.e., skipping through all the long commercials and breaks in play), and when I catch up to real time, switch to the other game for a while. Often (but not always), the Tivo will not remember the resume point if I stop watching too close to the current record point.

I have reported this problem to Tivo more than once (don't ask me how I reported it, because I'm not allowed to talk about that), but they did not seem to have any interest in trying to reproduce it, and apparently blew it off as not important to fix.

20. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Premiere was released in April 2010, so that is 1 year and 7 months ago, not what I would consider a "few years ago". Although I understand that it seems like time goes by more quickly in the Internet age. :)

You're not allowed to talk about that? What? What is this, Top Secret TiVo Clearance? :rolleyes: