Elite missing 99% of channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sirius, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1 of 13
    sirius

sirius New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Hi folks,

I have lost every channel on my TiVo except 104, 105, and 109. Usually these channels have a signal strength in the 90's they now are around 77. I had Comcast redo the pairing on my cable card. I called TiVo support and they had me do a soft reboot (pulling out the card, HDMI, Network coax, and power cord) No change. I took my Tivo to my work and put it in place of a Comcast cable box, here I did not receive any channels. I swapped out my cable card. No change I am still only getting those channels. In fact I was able to get those channels even before I called Comcast to pair the new card to my Tivo.

My Qam switches between 56 and 256.

Does anyone have any ides?

2. Feb 8, 2012 #2 of 13
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I've lost 90 % of all my HD canels 700 an up wards 0f 900...

Get the ramn nag screen that the channel you have selected is not available at this time, plz try again later, or contact you cable operator...

Thus far this has been an ongoing issue fir nearly 13 months...

Seem worth the ptice we are forced to pay for crappy servive??????'

3. Feb 8, 2012 #3 of 13
    saluki

saluki New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    While I don't have an Elite, I do have a new Premier that I just purchased and activated last week (to replace a Series 3 that had kicked the bucket).

With the new M-Card that I picked up from the Cable company (WOW, Chicago), I don't get any of the HD channels above 209 (200 - 208 come in fine). Called up technical support and they had me take a whole bunch of steps and finally came to the conclusion that the Mcard was bad. Swapped out for a new one and, again... exact same behavior.

Technician from WOW is coming out today to take a look. They suspect an signal level issue (?). I only question it because the S3 box had 2 single-channel cards in it for years without a problem at all.

Is this a wonderful new bug for the Premier that I didn't know about ?

4. Feb 8, 2012 #4 of 13
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    For years the S3 platforms had issues with signals that were too strong, particularly in FIOS markets. Initial fix by users was attenuation to the right signal level, but eventually TiVo released a firmware fix to resolve the issue for most users without the need to adjust signal levels via attenuation. Perhaps the Premiere platform with 20.2 software has the same problems as back then.

5. Feb 8, 2012 #5 of 13
    TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I have a S3 that suddenly lost a signal to about half my channels. Tivo insisted it was a signal problem, despite the fact that it used to work fine, FIOS confirmed that the signal strength is fine, and my HD and Premier both work fine plugged into the exact same cable.

I'm pretty sure that the tuner is partially fried somehow, but it wasn't worth the time/effort/money to go through dealing with Tivo to get it repaired or fixed. So now my lifetime S3 just sits unused. :(

6. Feb 9, 2012 #6 of 13
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I also have lost over 60 percent of channels paid for...

The tech guy just happened to have a spair cablecard, paired it up to the current Tivo, then all channels returned...

If the dang Tivo can't get a signal then it sure as well can't record aanything to the HD

Problem is they/Brighthouse did the very thing mid December last year...

I smell a rat in the wood pile

Tivo's not overheating, for I have a smaoll fan in the rear to mover any air that is abover room temp...

This has been an isue for well over an year now... Isn't it bout time they/devs figure out what the deal an fix what's broke?:mad:

7. Feb 9, 2012 #7 of 13
    sirius

sirius New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Tivo is sending me a new Elite. It should be here on Monday. The gentleman I spoke to at Tivo Tech support said it sounds like my tuner has or is failing. I have been very happy with the support from both Tivo and Comcast.

8. Feb 9, 2012 #8 of 13
    MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Mine is coming today. I'm sitting home waiting for it. I hope the other one I had was just messed up too. I really want this set up to work.

9. Feb 9, 2012 #9 of 13
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    If you are using Comcast be sure to use the 877-405-2298 number to have it paired and authorized. I gave a TiVo HD to my son and he had to get a new cablecard. I told him to call the above number to pair it, but he chose to call the local number instead. He had problems getting channels above 22 for two days on the phone many times. Finally he called the above number and the problem was resolved in 10 minutes.

10. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    That's funny... similar thing happened just over a week ago to me... although it's just massive macroblocking on all channels. Antenna tunes fine but the cable tuner is somehow dying. Picked up a Premiere that seems to work just fine although I'm on day 2 of waiting for TW to bring me a damn TA. I think I'll give up and see if I can get them to assign the TA I have to the Premiere since it's not doing the S3 any good until I can get it fixed.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    FYI, unlike CabelCards the TAs are not paired to a particular machine, so you can freely move a TA from 1 TiVo to another without having to get TW involved.

12. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    This particular TA has an expired sub since the tech that was trying to figure out the S3 problem swapped my working TA for one that hat been sitting on the truck forever. He seemed very knowledgeable about TiVos so I took him at his word that it'd have to be swapped to get another... too bad he never came back with one :mad:

Oh well... I can't imagine getting a TiVo working on TW without having this forum to learn from!

13. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    cable cards lost it's pairing with yout Tivo... ine did the same last week til a dude came out an re-paired the card, what a load of crappola