Elite - Known Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dssxxxx, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    Have 3 THD. Ordered the Elite and it arrived 3:00 PM yesterday.

Switched HDMI, g wireless adapter, new power plug and switched the cable, took out MS cable card. Seemed like a no brainer.

Start setup: USA location, keep default settings for broadcast, zip code and then search for connection.

Problems started !!!!!

Mo CA is disabled...................:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Call CS and start the 2.5 hours conversation with a total of 4 technicians. They all said they would have me up and running within 5-10 minutes. A trick: all mentioned by the 4 was to take out the g USB and keep out for 15 seconds and again plug in the connection. Of course, this did not work. Turn off, turn on............probably 15-20 times.

Eat dinner and wife is PO'ed about late dinner. Only adds to my frustration.

Call back and ask to return and cancel the order and subscription to all 3 Tivo's. Wait for "suit" as he was referred to from the CS rep.

He gets on the phone and we again go through all the previous steps with no good result.

He finally admits that this is a known problem with the Elite's and there are only 2 solutions (why not tell me this on my first call and conversation).

1. I must send back my Elite and when they receive it, they will send me a new Elite that is ready to use the g wireless adapter.

2. They will send me a $90 N wireless adapter that will work after setting it up in the computer. (No charge)

I opted for option number 2.

Now, before all the suggestions, I am set up tirelessly throughout the entire house and my Ethernet cable and wireless cable are not accessible to be connect to the Tito, plus there is no TV even remotely close by the wireless router or Ethernet cable.

If Tito knows this is a known problem, why don't they just ask each customer how they intend to connect and if it is wirelessly, throw in the N adapter along with the purchase of the Elite????

Just my venting from the wasted hours last night.

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I feel your pain. But is there really no way that you could string a temporary network cable across the floor (or whatever) long enough to do a service connection or two? It sounds like the Elite is shipping with a bug in the wireless network code that keeps it from working until the fixed code is downloaded via a service connection. That's a Catch-22, of course, but if the problem is just temporary and TiVo already has the fix available for download, I think you could cut them a little slack.

3. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    I have had 9 Tivo's and have cut them some slack many times.

I wish I could run the Ethernet cable to the Tivo. It is on another floor, not near any TV's and the run would be around 100 - 125 ft.

If Tito would pay for the cable and it would not need any booster, I would be happy to plug in an Ethernet cable but that seems a little extreme.

Back to.........shipping a product with a known bug is not good sales.

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    MoCA would be disabled unless you have a MoCA connection. It is one of the options when you do guided setup and tells you IIRC if it detects MoCA.

5. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    I'm pretty sure I'm running an Elite with a G wireless adapter without the issues suggested in this thread.

6. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    This is a "known" problem to Tivo. This happens during initial setup. Majority of Tivo buyers/subscribers "do not" have MoCA connection. It is also not an option during initial setup.

7. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    To use MoCA to update the Tivo Premiere Elite, you need to have a MoCA adapter that connects to your network. MoCA is a Local Area Network (LAN) protocol, so it is only intended to communicate on your home coaxial cabling. To get internet access you need an adapter that can connect to a network with Internet access. MoCA is different from a cable modem that uses the DOCIS protocol to communicate with a cable companies Wide Area Network (WAN) aka the Internet. If you can get a coaxial cable to your router or cable modem, for the adapter, it would be more reliable then WiFi.

8. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    Well, since Tivo is sending the N adapter and telling me that it will work as advertised, I will wait for it to arrive. It was shipped this AM and they told me 3 days.

I stuck my cablecard which was paired with the Elite back into the HD and I at least get the channels that are not premium. I have no premium to record until Boss on Friday night. So hopefully, it will be received and working prior to Friday night.

But, thanks for the idea of running the coaxial. It can be an option should everything not turn out the way planned......:-(

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why not move the Elite to another room where running an ethernet cable will not be an issue. Then let the box update so you can use the network connection you want. Then move it back to the original location.

10. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    My house is wireless and the closest tv (all LCD over 50" and wall mounted) is over (about) 100 ft away or that would be my choice....which would be the easiest.

11. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I saw it when I setup my Elite as an option. It was before the initial call and during network setup.

12. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    Read the first post.

13. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Already did. As I stated when I setup my Elite, MoCA was presented as an option but defaulted to no since I debated on reconnecting my MoCA connection on my Verizon router.

14. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    How did you connect your other 9 TiVos to the network? Did you only use dial-up/USB wireless?

You could also just "borrow" a computer monitor during the initial setup and use an ethernet connected directly to the router.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    WIth that large a house you should have many Access points which should mean a wired connection somewhere. Just in my condo I use four Access Points otherwise I would have saturated APs and not be able to get fast wireless speeds.

Still though you would expect a TiVo wireless G adapter would at least work on bootup with the Elite like other TiVos do.

16. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    I have 2 HP Laptops and 2 iPad 2's. Tell me know to use the HP Laptop to connect (it is wireless)?

I connected the other Tivo's either by phone line or wirelessly. The Elite does not have a phone jack.

17. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    I have multiple access points but only 1 wireless router. Built that way for less clutter of wires, etc.

And yes, you would expect it to connect with the G adapter, as the others. My wireless strength with the THD at this location was I was able to stream Netflix at HD levels.

18. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    With a laptop, you could try bridging the wireless and wired connections. Then plugging a cable from the laptop into the Tivo. It depends on what version of windows you have etc... In Windows 7, you go to "Network and Sharing Center" and then click on "Change adapter settings" on the left side. Then select the two connections that need to be bridged. Right click and choose "Bridge connections." I haven't used this in a while, but that should work.

19. dssxxxx

dssxxxx New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    SWF
    Are you talking USB to USB? USB to Ethernet? Ethernet to USB?

20. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Socrplyr is talking about making the laptop a bridge for the short term. So it would let you connect the laptop ethernet to the TiVo ethernet.