Elite 758 - how old is too old, OS wise?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lhvetinari, Apr 13, 2020.

1. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Found a decently cheap lifetime 758 on the local FB marketplace, thinking of picking it up. My only concern is it hasn't been connected in ages and is running 20.4.1 - this is old enough, if I recall correctly, that it will almost certainly fall into the update cycle trap during Guided Setup.

So, have we figured a way around this - does 00000 as the zip code help, does it need a week of sitting plugged in to think about life and updates, etc? I assume we still don't have a working 20.7.x 758 image.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I just got an up-to-date image from another member. You can be the first to try it out.

Zuffen and kpeters59 like this.
  3. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Got the message, thanks. Dropped a message to the seller, if I get it I'll let you all know.

4. Zuffen

Zuffen New Member

Apr 14, 2020
    Well, I've got super close to what @lhvetinari is mentioning, 758 with 20.5.2a-01-2-758 software. And, fell into the update cycle trap during Guided Setup. Could you please send me the image and steps to apply the image to my drive? I tried all the KS with no positive results, only thing I did not try is KS 76543210. All other KSs took but still no getting out of the loop. Drive looks good and did the full KS 54 and all pass. I guess I'm ready to take the next step. Your help will be appreciated.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Sent. Restore the image with DvrBARS, boot the TiVo, and run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" the drive to the motherboard.

Zuffen and kpeters59 like this.
  6. Zuffen

Zuffen New Member

Apr 14, 2020
    @ggieseke Thank you so much for the image. I restored the drive and now the software lists as 20.7!!!!
    Question: when I Clear & Delete Everything is this through the Tivo menus or I have to use KS upon boot up? I ask this because it wants to connect to Tivo first no option to clear and delete everything.

7. lhvetinari

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    If you’re going through guided setup, you can use zip code 00000 to load a minimal configuration and get to the menus to wipe it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Zuffen

Zuffen New Member

Apr 14, 2020
    Success! it worked. Thank you both for your help.