Eli Stone 2/14/08 (S01E03) "Father Figure"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mdsutherland, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mdsutherland

mdsutherland Act Accordingly

Feb 24, 2004
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

I like the show but there is a lot going on almost too much. His visions are just making him look too crazy which I know is the point but there is no way people would just let that go. If they could tone that down I would really like it.

I will be interested to see what they do with his fiancee. At first they made it seem like she was unlikeable with her reaction to the clot and his secretary hating her. Now she seems really likable and supportive. They are also setting up one or two different love interests even though he says he can't be with someone.

Overall I like the premise of the show and really like his acupuncturist and brother. I am hoping this show hits it groove.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I like this show too. The plots have been interesting. It kinda reminds me of Medium, where I keep thinking "How can they keep coming up with stories that are unique each week?". Yet they do.

I was *really* surprised to see the autistic kids mom show up again :eek:. I actually thought she's be a good match for him during her episode, but then her story ended and that was that. Or so I thought.

The only character I really have a problem with is the apprentice lawyer. She's just too goofy. I know nothing about lawyers & their firms, but find it hard to believe someone so "space cadet-ey" would be working at such a prestigious firm.

Hope this show makes it.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought it was ridiculous that Eli got his brother to sign off on the physical and that Victor Garber didn't know it was his brother. This guy mentored Eli, was planning to turn the firm over to him eventually, and has consented to Eli marrying his daughter, but he doesn't know Eli's brother's name and that he is a doctor? That's just asinine.

But I like the show. The feel is fun, despite the fact that the legal stuff is way off base.

4. mdsutherland

mdsutherland Act Accordingly

Feb 24, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I didn't like that either. That was part of the reasons I don't like these visions making him look crazy. I understand he can't control them but I hope they do something because there is no way this guy would keep his job at a law firm.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

But he did know the doctor was related; he said he noticed the same last name and something to the effect (somewhat sarcastically) that it was a "coincidence."

6. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I think this show has been getting worse since the pilot. It feels almost like I'm watching "Monk," where the writers are forcing the title character to be overly insane. It detracts from the entertainment value of the show. They need to go back and watch "Wonderfalls" again.

7. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    He asked Eli if it was a coincidence, but if he actually knew that Eli was trying to pull a fast one, he would have called him on it. After all, he's trying to find a reason to get out of the deal they signed requiring them to keep Eli employed.

8. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Why can't he tell them about the aneurysm? Is it because he could be let out of his "Eli keeps his job" paperwork or can you be disbarred for suffering from a medical condition?

9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    He has said that he'll lose his malpractice insurance and become unemployable. Whether or not that is actually true, I don't know, but it makes sense that an insurance company wouldn't want to insure a guy who could have an "episode" in the middle of a trial and cause his client to lose.

10. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I disagree...I think he's cutting Eli some slack, specifically because
    he is (was) engaged to his daughter. Of course, now that's a moot point.

11. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I suppose. All I know about lawyers comes from TV, but it seems to me that he could be co council or even just office side research without much trouble. Of course, this might be considered a real step down professionally/ego wise vs standing up in court.

I don't see how "Gee, Eli is on drugs/crazy/buckling from stress" is better than "Oh, Eli has a brain condition".

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Makes no sense. If Victor Garber were trying to protect Eli, he wouldn't have forced him to get the physical in the first place. The way they explained it in the episode, Garber thought Eli was untouchable because of the settlement from the pilot episode. But then some associates pointed out to him that they found a loophole, and next thing we know, Eli is served with papers requiring him to get a physical and a drug test. If Garber wasn't actually trying to get rid of Eli, why did he go along with that plan?

13. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    See, I disagree because I think Eli's
    ex future father-in-law
    is torn on the issue. Yes, he's done some things that obviously point to getting rid of Eli, but he's also repeatedly given him second chances.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Why are you spoilerizing that? It was part of this episode we're talking about.

In any case, it's clear that he has a fondness for Eli, but I think he's more interested in running his law firm, and sees Eli's actions as hurting the bottom line.

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I'm spoilerizing because it was strongly inferred at the end of the episode, but only confirmed in previews/future program descriptions. And I guess we'll agree to disagree.

16. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I agree with Bierboy (except for the spoilerizing part :p). I think Jordan is trying to cut Eli some slack although I'm sure if he knew the full story he would not be sympathetic at all--or at least not to the point of carrying him in the firm. Jordan was perfectly happy to accept the "iron-clad" employment contract. He only made the move to require an exam to pacify his partner, who has no interest in cutting Eli any slack whatsoever.

At least, that's how it seemed to me.