Elementary - Pilot - 9/27/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by caslu, Sep 27, 2012.

1. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, as a huge fan of the BBC's 'Sherlock' all I can say is... not bad, not bad at all. I enjoyed it and will keep my SP... although I wish CBS would learn that not every concept needs to be a procedural.

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It didn't suck. But I'm unsure how well Watson as a woman is going to work. I didn't like the couple times Sherlock showed concern for her feelings -- that is too big a change from traditional Sherlock. If Watson was right about Sherlock's recent London problem being about a girl, I hope it was Irene Adler and just a one-time thing. If Sherlock starts having any sort of romantic relationships with other women (or Watson), then I'm probably going to lose interest in this show.

3. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I liked it a lot. Though I wasn't expecting to, so I was wondering if my low expectations had something to do with it. I'm glad to see (here and elsewhere) that others liked it too.

4. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Didn't suck. That's all I need. :)

It's queued-up on the Tivo, have not watched yet.

5. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I thought that it was a pretty strong pilot.

And I don't usually think much of pilots. I hated the pilots for The Mentalist and for Castle, for example. :)

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I don't hate it. I see it a mashup of House and Monk, more towards Monk. I think I'll watch for a while to see how it goes.

7. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I enjoyed it.

I also happen to think that Lucy Liu has one of the sexiest voices - in my top 10 for sure.

I never watched the BBC version of Sherlock, and never really read the books. I enjoy the movies, and I enjoyed this pilot.

8. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    Wasn't that impressed - though I think it was mostly due to not being able to catch all of Miller's rapid-fire speech. And it does smack too much of a mash up of Monk, Perception, and Mentalist ... these shows with police 'consultants' are getting too formulaic. Though I did think the same of Perception, but ended up liking it.

9. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I had trouble with the speech too. It was way too fast and too low of a volume for me to catch all of it.

I like how Watson was able to add her own observations into the story - like when she spotted the size 11 sneaker box and directed his eyes over to it.

10. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    He saw it already, of course. She was just letting him know that she saw it, too.

11. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I liked it!

I love Johnny Lee Miller - so happy to see him in a show where he can use his own accent.

I really was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

12. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Argh! I missed the Elementary pilot but TiVo guide said it was rerunning tonight at 9pm. However what actually was recorded was a Hawaii 5-0 rerun.

That's the second time in less than a week that the TiVo guide has had the wrong show on a major network (the other one was one of the new sitcom pilots, which ended up being a rerun of Go On).

13. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    iTunes has the pilot available for free.

14. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I know a lot of people who are going to refuse to like it for what it is because of the perception of a rivalry with the excellent Cumberbatch/Freeman BBC show with a similar premise. But I was happy to see that it really doesn't read as a remake of that, it is quite distinct in tone and style. Definitely worth watching.

I also feel it's kind of funny to see the whole "police need an outside consultant" thing, which has been done to death lately (very few cop shows without one at the moment -- Rizzoli & Isles, maybe?), depicted in a way that makes us all remember that Doyle was doing that a century ago. But in spite of having to say to myself "but that's how it was!" it did indeed smack of Monk and the Mentalist and a few others.

I gotta say, though, that was an incredibly elaborate murder scheme. Convincing your wife to get wholly unnecessary plastic surgery just to set up a murder a few years later? If you can manage something like that, it hardly seems you'd need the rest.

While we can imagine that Holmes was lying to Watson a few times about whether she was really contributing (e.g., the bit about starting a fight with the former victim where he changed his tune, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a lie), I think we have to conclude that Watson was genuinely the one to recognize the rice anomaly.

They definitely toned down the signature Holmes "I can tell you ten things about yourself I can't possibly know" aspect. Probably a good thing, it helps make this one somewhat distinctive. Not that he couldn't do it; the story just didn't need to make it such a burst-of-stuff, and played it out gradually.

15. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    It didn't suck, and I'll watch a few more, but I didn't like it as much as the BBC Sherlock. Unfortunately, I'm not a tv critic and can't really explain why.

16. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I had to google him, did not know he was using his own accent.

Too many Brits playing Americans, and too many American playing Brits, can't keep track of who is who.

phox

17. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I have seen him in movies where he has gotten to use his own accent.

The last TV series he was in (Eli Stone - which I really enjoyed), he used an American accent.

18. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    The last series he was on was actually Dexter, he did an American accent on that too.

19. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    You are right! I forgot about that one - and I am a huge Dexter fan!

Eli Stone was the last series where he was the lead character.

20. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Those are what stuck in my mind, along with Hackers.
    Can't recall seeing him anywhere else.

I had no idea he was British.

phox