Elementary (CBS) Season Seven (final season) *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 23, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The game is afoot!

Everything feels... different. Are they even speaking English? :)

I'll confess to barely remembering how last season ended. No, more like not remembering anything at all. I knew he moved to London, but forgot it was part of a murder coverup. So why do we think Capt. Gregson was shot? Has to be involved.

Like Watson's hair. Nice change for her. And she's still has great taste in shoes. And they're neighbors. 221A and B.

Kitty's back!

One of my favorite shows. We have a short 13 episode final season. Should be fun!

2. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    I don't see how Sherlock's issue is cleared up other than "plot device". Even if the Feds figure out it was Gregson's daughter, either by confession or deduction, Sherlock's issue just switches to an obstruction charge.

Haven't seen Saffron Burrows (newspaper owner) in anything in a while.

--Carlos V.

3. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    She's been doing Amazon Prime's show Mozart in the Jungle...

4. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Almost forgot to mention...

We get Tamsin Greig! She was wonderful in Episodes (SHO). Glad to see her in something, anything. I have no idea if she's ongoing, but it looks like she's the UK Capt. Gregson. :thumbsup:

5. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I knew I'd seen her, and plenty of times, but I just couldn't quite place her. A quick IMDB and there it was. Episodes! Another show I quite enjoyed.

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    And about 500 appearances on the Graham Norton Show.

7. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Damn! I forgot it was starting up again. I watch so little on network channels I missed any ads for this. Hopefully DTv will have it on Demand.

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yep. But that can probably be negotiated away more easily than a murder charge.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  9. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Glad to see it's back. I'll miss the show. It's like good comfort food. But it's had a good run and it does feel like it's time to wrap things up. If it wasn't time to a season or two ago.

They're clearly filming in New York, so I'm guessing the London subplot won't last long.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  10. cstelter

cstelter Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    Thankfully the episode brought back to me most of the key points-- I too barely recalled any of the key elements of the final eps last season. I think it's one thing for a series to start in September and end in May (~4 month break), but an entirely different thing for a series to end in September and begin again in May.

The final episode last season was quite well done and would have been a satisfactory series conclusion-- I would expect a reasonably cohesive season-long arc with an even better (proper) series finale this summer.

I don't think they've changed the title sequence during its entire run and I still enjoy watching it. I suppose I'll miss the series somewhat, but also feel it is probably a good time for it to go.

I guess I have this compulsion to see something I start through to the end including TV shows. I just watched the season finale of L&O SVU and it looks like that will be moving on for a 21st season. I've noticed in past seasons that they have taken the formula of that show back to the old L&O formula. For much of its first 10 years there was very little "Law" in SVU-- perhaps a quick courtroom scene at the end while the flagship was always a rough 50-50 split on the Law side and Order side. But since L&O retired it seems to me that they've taken SVU to a more roughly 50-50 split with a court ruling being the final scene much moreso like L&O had been. It's comfortable and I keep watching, but in reality it seems more like 31 years straight rather than 21 years given the recent formula. I wish I didn't have this compulsion to "see a series through to the end", but at least with Elementary I'm happy to see it go out while it still more often seems more entertaining to watch rather than a chore.

11. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    IIRC, they were not sure it would get renewed, so they did it that way.

12. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I read an interview with the showrunners, they were confident they weren't being renewed, and were okay with it. So they wrote a finale.

It threw them off when they were picked up for a short (13 eps, all in the can) final season. They went back and used Magnum PI for a reference. Magnum PI was presumed finished, with a finale aired, when it was unexpectedly renewed. The producers had to come up with a way to restart the series. Supposedly, Elementary used that for inspiration.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The difference is, Elementary didn't actually end the series. Magnum did (spoiler alert: Magnum died).

Same thing happened with Miami Vice, which had a series finalé that was really pretty definitive (spoiler alert: Crockett goes bad, murders a cop, and rides off into the sunrise in his cigarette boat).

Both shows had to do some shark-jumping gymnastics to find a way back. Elementary had a much easier road home.

14. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    How dare you not use spoiler tags? :)

Tony_T and lalouque like this.
  15. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Does anyone besides me think one of if not the final episode titles will be Richenbach Falls?

16. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Could be. I certainly noticed the character with the name Reichenbach.

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Believe or not, I never knew until now how the original Miami Vice and Magnum PI ended. SPOILED!! No reason for me to watch them now ;)

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Except that's not how they ended. Both shows continued from those points.

And since I didn't say which season each show was originally cancelled after, it should still catch you by surprise! :D

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Now I need to know, how did the original Magnum PI continue?
    (I don't plan on watching it now -- but I am watching the new re-boot)

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    IIRC, they revealed he wasn't dead...he was only mostly dead. And of course, there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.

Basically, a cheat.

lalouque, Tony_T and eddyj like this.