Electrical (PSU) problem with Series 1 tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by eisbaer, Aug 12, 2007.

1. eisbaer

eisbaer New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    While trying to track down a problem with our cable modem, I was shocked while unscrewing a coaxial cable. I grabbed the multimeter and found that about 48 volts A/C (iirc) were running through the external portion of the coax connector. I tracked the problem down to the series 1 TiVo we've had since 2001. Something appears to not be grounding right with the PSU, I disconnected all external connections except power, disconnected the connections inside the TiVo to the mainboard and drives and the chassis still has about 24V running through it. I have no idea when still started happening, and the TiVo is still functional (if unsafe).

I see that I can get a replacement PSU but can't find any references to a PSU behaving this way. Would it even help to replace the PSU? Through the years I've added a turbonet ethernet card and upgraded the drive as needed, but I don't believe either modification lead to this PSU problem.

Thanks for any advice,
    -Brandon

2. eisbaer

eisbaer New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    A follow up on the situation:

An electrical engineer from my local linux users group offered to take a look at my TiVo. He pulled the power supply unit out of the chassis and was somewhat puzzled that the DC side of the PSU was getting 60 volts AC @ 60Hz at the ground. He concluded that some portion of the PSU was malfunctioning but not enough to cause the PSU to fail entirely. He suggested I try wrapping some electrical tape around the ground as the PSU isn't properly grounded anyway (2 prong power plug). I did that and it did work in preventing the PSU from sending AC power to the chassis. However, the mainboard continues to send 24VAC to the chassis. I'm concluding that the old TiVo is unsafe to use and unrealistic to fix.

RIP
    9-10-2001 - 8-13-2007

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yuo can get a replacement PSU rather reasonable I think.