Eeeek...SDV "Tuning Resolver" to be supplied by the cable company!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Saxion, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1 of 54
    Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    I've been looking for evidence of just how this USB "tuning resolver" for SDV will be provided to TiVo owners, and it looks like it will be provided by...the cable company! Yes, the same lovely folks who charge those oh-so-exhorbitant rates for everything from Expanded Basic to the SA8300.

Found this in a recent CEA filing to the FCC (context was the SDV tuning resolver):

We can only hope that the FCC will regulate the rental cost of this new line-item on our bill...

2. Oct 9, 2007 #2 of 54
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Wonder if the "tuning resolver" will count as yet another "additional digital outlet" fee.

Cable - That will be another $6.99 additional outlet fee maam. The tuning resolver is free though, included in the A/O fee.
    User - But, but, but, I'm using the tuning resolver with my existing outlet.
    Cable - Maam, we cannot tell what you are using the "tuning resolver" with, so we need to charge you the A/O fee and BTW do you have an HDTV?
    User - Umm, yes, but I don't see why that matters...
    Cable - Yes, thank you for that information, that will be another $5 HDTV fee.
    User - So let me get this straight, just to get access to the programming I'm already paying for, I need to pay 2x$6.99 and 2x$5 + $1.79 = $25.77? That is crazy, how come if I get your equipment I only pay $11.99?
    Cable - Maam, it is not our fault TiVo cannot design a usable product and requires us to provide various accessories to make the device work. TiVos have lots of trouble on all cable systems and are designed very poorly. You are lucky we even allow you to connect a TiVo to our cable system.

3. Oct 9, 2007 #3 of 54
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    It seemed obvious to me from the outset that the tuning resolver would be provided by the cable company, since it needs to interact directly with the cable head-end in a secure manner, in an active, rather than passive, manner. I suspect there will be an associated fee, at least in some cases. My guess would be no more than the fee they charge for CableCards (i.e., not as much as for additional outlets).

4. Oct 9, 2007 #4 of 54
    StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    Ideally, the tuning resolver would take the place of a cable card. Can someone say if the cable card actually does encryption processing or does it just provide keys to the TiVo which then does the work? If it is the former, then I doubt the tuning resolver could provide cable card functions. If it is the latter, I don't see why the key storage ability couldn't be integrated in so the user doesn't have to have both a tuning resolver and a cable card to make their TiVo work.

5. Oct 9, 2007 #5 of 54
    vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    For your sxecond scenario, I would think that this depends on whether the cable card provodes the keys to Tivo software or directly to Tivo hardware. If the latter, it may not be possible to substitute a software interface to a hardware one.

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 54
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    The cablecard is the decryption device. It decrypts the stream from the cableco and then re-encrypts it with a key provided by the tivo.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 54
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Could be worse. Could be supplied by the same lovely folks who charge as much as $19.95/mo for something they think is "service". How 'bout what they charge for their USB wireless Ethernet adapter?

Of, course, you probably want the thingy from netgear or d-link or such.

When purchasing a home, always research the school system and the A/O fee policies.

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 54
    Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Dumb question but, are cablecard rates regulated at all?

I've heard all sorts of different rates being charged over the country.

Also, why does this have to be USB?

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 54
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Just like a DOCSIS modem? It just depends on how one wants to implement it.

10. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...

The FCC have suggested that the fee be low, but have not defined what that number would be and have not, to my knowledge, enforced anything having to do with cable cards. Does anyone know of any enforcement actions?

As far as the USB interface, what would you suggest? I would guess that it was assumed that more systems would have a USB port than other varieties. I suppose it could have be something proprietary that would be built into the next generation product. Come to think of it, I wonder why it wasn't.

We need to start a pool for guesses on when this thing is going to show up.

Al

11. mercurial

mercurial Retro-Av

Oct 17, 2002
    Caraleigh, NC
    Unfortunately, I'm more worried about them getting here in a timely manner than the cost per month at this point... Grr...

12. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    Where I live, they charge an additional outlet fee for each CableCard.

In any case, I was rather hoping this would be something we could buy rather than rent, but it doesn't sound like it will be...

13. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Cable companies are not dumb. They are keeping the price of cable cards reasonable, so I think it's reasonable to expect they will do the same with this device.

And frankly, if we can get mcards working with the S3 and get mcards widely available, i'll trade the 1.99 I am paying for the 2nd cable card for a dongle and be pretty happy about that.

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Not the way you mean. Rather, cable companies present their rates, which can vary from location to location, for review, and action would be taken only if the AVERAGE rate was considered "excessive". Ostensibly, the regulation permits "excessive" rates in some places, compensated by very low rates in some other places.

That's probably the easiest interface to use for this. They had to choose one, of course, since multiple interfaces would take longer to argue about and design for.

15. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    You guys are completely missing the bigger problem here. It doesn't matter what they charge for it until they actually have one to lease to you. If each cable company has to provide it then you have no idea what year an S3 will work with SDV in your city. Smaller cable companies could take years to comply.

16. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    +1

This is bad. With Tivo or a third party providing the hardware direct to consumers, there are market incentives pushing for more rapid development and deployment. With cable pushing the hardware out (presumably from third party manufacturers), there is no such market incentive. Nothing but our bitching and moaning and FCC nagging will light a fire under them.

17. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I'm just not sure how this works still. The dongle gets info from the USB telling it what channel the cablecard is viewing and it then sends a signal to request the channel? How long will it take for the channel to get sent to you? Will the dongle be able to get requests from both cablecards? Since the dongle will let you 'speak' with the cable co. will it enable PPV and VOD?

18. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    I don't think they've said anything about VOD/PPV, but I imagine that this will do the trick. In fact, that might be one reason that the cable companies want to do this in the first place: more VOD/PPV customers = higher revenue. That said, true VOD is probably not going to happen as you need the software to interact with the head-end like an STB. But PPV could still work.

As for functionality, it should be pretty speedy. The idea is that it will give your Tivo the functionality of the cableco STB, so you can probably expect equivalent (maybe not identical) performance.

19. Saxion

Saxion Substantive Member

Sep 17, 2006
    San Diego
    +1. Excellent points by HiDefGator and Revolutionary. Cable could see this more as a PR win with the FCC (they revealed it first) without much enthusiasm behind it. FCC should require that this be made available (for free or at nominal cost) before SDV gets deployed in each area.

20. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    The price is more reasonable in some places than in others. In my case, when I first got CableCards they were $4.95 each, so $9.90 per TiVo, vs. about $10 for the cable company DVR. I think the prices have since gone up to $6-7 per card vs. $12 for the cable company DVR. It seems odd for it to cost about the same regardless of whether I supply the main hardware or the cable company does.