Edit .tivo files directly

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Dan203, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I know VideoReDo has been recommended before by myself and several others, but now it deserves an even bigger recommendation! Why? Because the newest beta build has the ability to edit .tivo files directly. Complete with automatic commercial detection. :up:

Not only that but they have also added a feature which automatically adds NAV packets when you output the file as a VOB. That means the files will work directly with dvdauthor without the need to remux. Which means you can now make a DVD from a .tivo file in 3 easy steps without transcoding! (it'll be non-compliant but will still play in the majority of DVD players)

1) Open .tivo file in VideoRedo, edit and output as VOB

2) Import VOB into dvdauthor front end such as DVDStyler and output as an ISO image

3) Burn ISO using your favorite burning software or DVD Decrypter.

Dan

2. bill_pietsch

bill_pietsch New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Wow, I just tried it and it works great! The trial+beta version lets you do 30 minutes. Costs $50 to buy.

I'm a Mac person who happens to have a PC too. Here's what I did to burn a TiVo recording to DVD using DVDSP4 (via VideoRedo):

I downloaded the recording using TiVo Desktop on the PC. Then I edited the .tivo directly using VideoRedo. Next I saved the video as .mpv and .mpa from VideoRedo and imported those right into DVD Studio, set up the DVD and burned! DVDSP gave me a warning that the track wasn't DVD compliant and will not play on all players but it works on my set top DVD players.

Still not a perfect method for Mac users since you need a PC. But it's nice being able to get files that import so easily into DVDSP.

3. VauxhallGuy

VauxhallGuy New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Dan203,

Are there other output formats besides vob for the edited file?

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can also output as a standard MPEG or as elementry streams (i.e. individual audio and video files)

Dan

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 38
    Denvers Dawgs

Denvers Dawgs New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Boston
    If after trying the videoredo trial version, and I decide I like it, do i just need to buy the registration key?, or do I need buy the whole program and uninstall the trial and re-install the new version?

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 38
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    You just need to input the registration key into the trial version. If you downloaded the beta version than that is all that you need to do, if not, then you will need to download the beta version and install it over the registered version.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 38
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    This is wonderful news ; I already own an older version of VideoRedo. This will save a lot of time.

On a related subject: Ever hear of a DVD player that plays MPEGs saved on DVD media - in addition to playing JPEGs/MP3s, etc.?

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 38
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
  9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 38
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    You no longer have to use a beta version. Version 2.2 was just released with the Tivo file functionality.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Most of the lower end players by manufacturers like Apex will do this, as well as the majority of the ones that play Divx.

Dan

11. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I'll have to look into that. Is it just a matter of using Windows to copy the file to the DVD in the DVD writer drive? What about multiple files or folders?
    Do disks have to be finalized somehow?

12. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Dan, how accurate is the commercial detection?

13. hitech_rednek

hitech_rednek Extreme Tech Weenie

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    As soon as I saw this thread, I downloaded VideoRedo and started playing with it. I'd say the commercial detection is pretty darn good - it hasn't missed anything yet, only it's hit a few "false positives". If the show has text overlays (e.g. "Five years later...") I think it marks those but it's very easy to hop to each marker and check. It drops the markers in then you decide whether to cut the section(s) out or not.

I also downloaded DVDStyler and used that to author a DVD using 3 VOB's created by VideoRedo and dumped to an ISO. I don't have a DVD burner in that machine yet (it's on a UPS truck somewhere between Hodgkins, IL and here right now ;) ) so I'm copying the ISO to my other PC with the burner and will try burning it with Nero. I don't anticipate any problems...this was a *very* easy process and I will probably buy VideoRedo, it's fast and simple.

14. hitech_rednek

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    Sweet - I just burned my first DVD using this process and it was quick and painless. The only time consuming part was removing the commercials and they were so well marked that I can't complain. I put three episodes of a show on a DVD with a nice menu much easier than anything I've tried to do just using Nero. Thanks! :up:

15. duckjones

duckjones New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Does VideoReDo allow you to create image stills?

16. dmlove51

dmlove51 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I have Nero Ultra 6.0 and MyDVD. I've used MyDVD many times to make dvds of tivo'd shows. I'd like to try VideoReDo because of the time savings. However, I'm clueless about how to save an edited video in VideoReDo (I know how, just don't know what to save it "as", and once I save it "as" something (ISO, VOB, MPV/MPA), how to import it and use it in the DVD authoring program. Can someone lay out the steps?

17. Durfman

Durfman Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I am so glad I bought this program. It's been a while since I've bought a piece of software and felt that I got my money's worth.

Rob

18. hitech_rednek

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    Yes, but so far I'm not impressed with the quality of the stills...although I'm not sure I can blame the software, the video quality isn't great to start with.

19. hitech_rednek

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    Look in this thread - I wrote out the way I've been doing it last night:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=279847

20. NHJim

NHJim New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I LOVE THIS THREAD!

I have a Toshiba with DVR-R - Weekneek hard drive upgraded

If I burn a show directly 2 hours is done in 15 min

If I copy a 30 Min show form the Toshiba to the PC usingTiVoDesktop 1 hour
    If I burn from PC to DVD using Nero takes 1.5 hours
    So my total time in geting a show from TiVo to DVD on PC is 3 hours for half hour show.

Is this typical?

Also is there anyway to expose the hard drive in the Toshiba so I can have at the data in a Windows folders. That way a copy would take lots lets time to get a copy from the Toshiba to the PC!

Are there any hacks out there?