Edge Remote Pairing / RF Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Rawson819, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Rawson819

Rawson819 Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Algonquin, IL

Advertisements

After the untimely death of my second Bolt, I accepted a replacement offer of a refurbished Edge. After it was up and running, I attempted to pair two different remotes in hopes of getting either to operate in RF mode, but had no success. I believe I tried everything possible including a global reset of the remote. Assuming I’m correct, it appears the remote goes into pairing mode; however, it doesn’t seem like the Edge is seeing it.

Next, I called support and went through all of the same steps with a TSR that I’d already run through from the
    TV Remotes: RF Pairing Instructions page. Not a big deal, as I fully expected this. In the end, he reached the same conclusion which I was starting to suspect, that being that it wasn’t the remotes or the operator and was in fact the Edge. So he advised he’d process a replacement order and send me another Edge.

Today, Edge #2 arrived and it’s the same thing again - neither remote will pair, regardless of what steps I take. Just curious if anyone else has had any similar experience and/or if there are any suggestions on how to correct this issue before I call support again.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Good luck with this. I returned a Bolt a while back because I couldn’t get any remote to pair with it in RF mode. Have you tried buying a new remote to see if that works?

3. Rawson819

Rawson819 Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Algonquin, IL
    Not yet; however, that may be my next/only step. I just concluded yet another painful call to Support and was told the only remote which is RF compatible with the Edge is the Lux remote. I’m not sure I believe this, as it begs the questions of why two TSRs subjected me to the various pairing steps if there are remotes that are incompatible and why would one them process a replacement solely due to the RF pairing issue?!

I’m curious if there are any Edge owners that have successfully paired remotes other than the Lux model. My attempts have been limited to the Roamio model which worked fine in RF mode for the Roamio and Bolt. This is an obvious downside to these refurb support replacement offers. So my “upgrade” from Bolt to Edge has currently left me without RF support AND Alexa voice control. Ugh!

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    If that is the case then I assume all Edges ship with the Lux remote? And it would seem then they didn’t give you one when they replaced your Bolt.

5. Rawson819

Rawson819 Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Algonquin, IL

Advertisements

I *think* Edge units ship with a VOX remote, not a Lux remote. Each time support has made me a unit swap offer, it has not included any accessories but this is the first time I’ve experienced a remote not being compatible with its replacement.

In my opinion, it’s something they should have mentioned with the offer, as had I known I’d have to buy a new remote AND I was gonna lose Alexa control, I TOTALLY would have kept the Bolt and replaced the hard drive. The optimist in me hoped they would have offered to send me an RF-compatible remote without charge but I suspected the chances were slim.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    I had my first Edge stop pairing to my Lux remote. Support tried everything five times and so on. They replaced it. The new one worked fine... until a software update a few months ago, the Lux lost pairing and wouldn’t re pair. No probs with included remote.

I didn’t want to fsck with support, so I patiently waited a month for the next update. Didn’t fix the problem. Got another Lux remote, and it paired just fine.

If I were to try and imagine what was breaking internally, I think some table that holds a listing of Bluetooth MAC addresses is getting corrupted. Maybe part of the software that pairs sees the MAC in the table so it doesn’t re-pair, but the part of the software that runs the UI and operations isn’t reading the table correctly, so no RF pairing. New remote = new MAC address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rawson819

Rawson819 Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Algonquin, IL
    Interesting theory. I do think I agree that something in the units is preventing the pair, not the remote.

Since my last post, I’ve tried to pair both Edge units with a VOX remote and both were unsuccessful. I reached out to WeaKnees via their website contact form and received a response within an impressive 11 minutes - they confirmed that the Lux and VOX remotes are identical, except for backlighting. So buying a new Lux remote, as the most recent TSR suggested, would seemingly be a waste of $50 at this point.

I’m really about out of ideas. My last one is to try and call support Monday and hope to get my issue escalated to a higher tier. This really should not be this difficult. :(

8. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    I wonder if a Clear & Delete Everything would reset the unit cleanly enough to get the remotes re-pairing. That was my last hope if a new remote didn’t pair. That’s basically the last thing I want to do.

I wonder if this pairing data is stored in flash or on the hard drive. Easy theory to test. If I recall correctly, all models since the Roamio will accept a new blank drive and format then prepare it for use. If this is done, can you put the old drive back in and keep going like you never tested this theory?

9. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    I wonder if we can just hack the remote to change its Bluetooth MAC. Maybe it’s a UEI made remote? Those are pretty well documented. Maybe doable through JTAG pins? I don’t know how to do these things, but I see people smarter then me doing this kind of thing on YouTube.

10. Rawson819

Rawson819 Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Algonquin, IL
    So just before I had planned to call Support today, I decided to give the VOX remote one last try. I pressed the TiVo & Back buttons and to my astonishment, it paired!!!! Have no idea why it didn't do this yesterday any one of the dozen or more times I tried it. Thanks for all the input and for listening to me rant.