Edge & MoCA Encryption

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by tetu81, Oct 30, 2020.

1. tetu81

tetu81 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

Hi all,

I upgraded from a Bolt to an Edge and kept my two Minis in place. I was happily using a MoCA network with encryption with the Bolt as the bridge to get connectivity to the Minis. I can't for the life of me get the Edge and Minis to connect when I enable MoCA encryption. They work fine without encryption.

TiVo Support tells me they don't think MoCA encryption works and always suggest not to use it. More alarmingly, they don't think I even need the PoE filter I have so I'm not sure the agent I spoke to understood my security concerns.

Is anyone using MoCA encryption on their Edge acting as the bridge? Any tips? Or do I just give up and let the PoE be my only protection?

Thanks!

mike-d and krkaufman like this.
  2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Considering that your POE blocks data from possibly leaking out I'd say IMNSHO MoCA encryption is overkill and I'd see if your issues go away with it gone.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    To be fair, TiVo needs to ensure that the MoCA interface can be configured per spec, tweaking channel, privacy, etc.; but I wouldn’t put my life on hold waiting for TiVo. If privacy is required, and someone else can confirm a current issue with the EDGE and MoCA encryption, then adding a standalone MoCA adapter to proxy the EDGE’s MoCA connection would be a short-term workaround.

As for a physical “PoE” MoCA filter being a sufficient security measure, that’s up to the user, dependent on their risk acceptance and physical plant (including location and physical security of the “PoE” MoCA filter). The uber-cautious take:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  4. tetu81

tetu81 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Thanks dianebrat and krkaufman; appreciate your input!

I like the suggestion of using a standalone MoCA adapter to create the MoCA network and connect the Minis that way, bypassing whatever is going on with the Edge's inability to create a MoCA network with encryption.

WRT physical plant, I'm in a high rise condo building so I am somewhat confident that the single coax in from the phone room to my unit is the right place to put the PoE filter with little risk of unseen splitters.

I asked for the case to be escalated to another level of support so I'll update here if I get anything useful.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

FYI... Another user seemingly suffering from the same issue:

MOCA Networking Problem (Edge, with Older Mini)

6. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    I have a ECB6000 as the Moca bridge, with encryption on. My problem is the my new Edge will not connect using Moca 1.1, when I try to add my Old A92 Mini to the network. It will connect using Moca 2.0 (with encryption) with my bolt and newer mini vox. I had not considered that encryption was the issue. Perhaps your issue is the same as mine, if you have an older A92 or A93 mini which only support moca 1.1? I was also fine with all the same equipment running moca 1.1 (forced down to 1.1 because of my old minis) with encryption, until I added the Edge in place of the Bolt. So the issue could be the Edge with moca 1.1, and/or encryption???
    And - You should always have a POE Filter, encryption is just an additional measure.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    See my other post, above, and are your MINis the older A92 or A93 (Moca 1.1) models? My Mini Vox connects fine (with encryption), the older ones seem to cause the issue. Thx

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One thing I'm left wondering (absent the ability to test any theories) is whether the make-up of the encryption/privacy password makes a difference. i.e. Whether a simple lowercase-only alphanumeric key, or a key w/ special characters or spaces?

9. mike-d

mike-d Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    Moca encryption keys/passwords are 12 to 17 numbers.

krkaufman likes this.