Edge infrared sensor location?

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Bryan S, May 9, 2020.

1. Bryan S

Bryan S New Member

May 9, 2020
    Morning just got my new edge, trying to locate the infrared sensor on it (can't seem to find the light or bulb even with a flashlight). I have to attach a remote sensor for my J-Tech IR extender on the Edge (edge is in closet, tv is in Den 25 feet away.) Thanks.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I usually just continuously press the Pause Button while moving the Emitter around until I pin it down.

They'v done Clever Things before like putting it in the TiVo Logo.

-KP

3. Bryan S

Bryan S New Member

May 9, 2020
    Thanks - that is where it was on the Bolt - do you know where it is on the Tico Edge?

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No...I would have said if I did...assuming you have clearance for that information?

-KP

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's simpler to hit the down button. I would get a something that blocks IR, like a black SD card, and move it across the box until the amber LED no longer responds. I found the Mini VOX sensor is just to the left of the power LED that way. I guess you know that the remote should have a red LED when testing.

6. Bryan S

Bryan S New Member

May 9, 2020
    Since you do not know, please do not respond :) just adds cluter.

7. Bryan S

Bryan S New Member

May 9, 2020
    It appear th sensor keeps moving - we find it, tape up the IR sensor to the TIVO Edge, then it stops working. Then when we retry it doesn't work at all - very weird as it worked on the Bolt no issues.

8. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    The entire Edge plastic case is not completely opaque. With an insanely bright light, the stuff inside is visible. On mine, there appears to be what looks a whole lot like a typical IR receiver-type element that is exactly one inch to the right of the TIVO logo on the front, on some standoffs that hold it a few millimeters above the motherboard.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would have thought that the Bluetooth connection would work without the need for an extender for that distance?

Scott