Edge, Bolt, Tuner, Speed/Features differences..

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by jkesnk, Oct 19, 2019.

1. jkesnk

jkesnk New Member

Sep 8, 2006

Advertisements

I am in California, I have a Bolt 2-3 years old I get the error v58 (channel problem). I put all the filters on to bring the SNR db down below 35db and I still have the problem. TIVO said the Bolt was bad so I went out and bought the Edge, now we have a problem with the tuner which seem to be the same problem with the Bolt. FYI the Edge does not have the option which shows the stations on each tuner in the menu. And you no longer have a choice of changing the guide layout.. The Edge does not seem any faster than the Bolt..There is nothing wrong with my Bolt, I'm taking back the Edge, it's not any faster and it has less custom features.. I have Spectrum.. This problem started a couple of months ago otherwise everything was working great.. Bolt software is 20.7.. The tuner features on TiVo are some of the best options, no one else has them, why change.

2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Your Bolt was running a different Tivo UI. The newer one doesn’t have the old option You can check the signal specs under diagnostics

3. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I'd there a code to refresh the UI? And will anything change? Will I notice any difference?

4. buildersboy66

buildersboy66 Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    I stated earlier I believe the Bolt is faster than the Edge in current state. UI is snappier on Bolt. I could tell day 1.

5. buildersboy66

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida

Advertisements

Obsessing over the SNR will get you nowhere. At best just bring it down a few dbs no more. Your not helping your issue using higher attenuators. If V58 error continues it is likely your cable provider not the equipment.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    V58 is not a "Channel Problem".

It's 'Channel Not Authorized'. As in: your cable company hasn't turned it on on your Cable Card.

The Cable Card is reporting the issue to the TiVo.

Call your cable company.

-KP

buildersboy66 likes this.
  7. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Ya I don't know why you would want to lower SNR as then you have more noise in relation to the signal.

Normally higher SNR is better than lower.

buildersboy66 likes this.
  8. buildersboy66

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    exactly...V53 yes

9. jkesnk

jkesnk New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Spectrum cable stated they needed the SNR under 35 DB otherwise it causes problems, that's what they told me. Cable company has been out five times, at the pole: they replace the wire to house, including all connections re-done at the pole. Pole to the house all connections including in the attic down into the new tuner adapter and all fittings, including new cable card .. the cable company cannot do anymore, they've replaced everything.. I've been on the diagnostic page 100 times. TIVO users with Romano, Bolt, Edge are all having the same problem. TIVO needs to figure it out.. I've been a user since series 1.. removing tuner options is a negative (Edge). TIVO commercials on the Edge is a dealbreaker.. I am already paying for a premium service..

10. buildersboy66

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    So under 35 is necessary for Spectrum and not Comcast? Im about 39 40 db and no issue's.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. buildersboy66

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    V58 error is sure not TiVo's issue.

kpeters59 and compnurd like this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    That sounds like complete BS from someone who didn’t know what they were talking about

kpeters59 likes this.