EBS interrupts iHeartRadio

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HarleyRandom, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Aug 2, 2018 #1 of 12
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Active Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Seriously?

I listen to my favorite radio station using iHeartRadio on my TiVo. I figured the EBS alert might be on WNAM, but there is a thunderstorm in my area and when I lost sound, I thought it might be the Internet going out. It was not my station doing the alert. Even weirder is the fact the warning didn't even finish. And then my TiVo went to live TV.

2. Aug 2, 2018 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. Aug 2, 2018 #3 of 12
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I hate those! No matter what you're doing, if the tv is involved in it, it will interrupt - recordings, live tv, and now I guess radio (I don't do radio on the tv, so I don't know anything about that).

Sometimes we get a dozen of those damnable things a day. It's always like - it might rain 200 miles from her. I don't give a carp. I wish there was an opt-out.

My husband says that he gets them on his phone, too (iPhone). I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and, so far, haven't gotten them. I'd like to think they are opt-outable on phones too, but I guess I'd be surprised. I asked him if he could block them on his iPhone and he didn't know. He has a tendency to not go into settings and stuff like that to know how his electronics operate. At least I got him to fix it so he wasn't pocket dialing everybody a zillion times a day. People were getting really pissed at him so I looked up what he could do. He would have just kept letting it happen and blow it off. Not a good idea!

4. Aug 2, 2018 #4 of 12
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    They can be turned off on an iPhone. Go to settings - notifications and scroll to the bottom and you will see sliders for Government Alerts. Amber alerts and Emergency alerts are selected separately

sharkster likes this.
  5. Aug 2, 2018 #5 of 12
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thanks! :) I'm going to write that down and tell him.

6. Aug 2, 2018 #6 of 12
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The only ones you can’t turn off are the presidential level.

7. Aug 2, 2018 #7 of 12
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you put your Tivo in standby, it will absolutely not wreck the recordings.

Even though I'm usually up at 1AM fri or sat, when they happen, I don't remember seeing an alert in weeks/months. Maybe they changed the time.

But *also*, there are apparently other kinds, based on previous discussion, that "only" wreck live TV but not other tuners (that may be recording)????

but standby will absolutely make recordings not be ruined.

8. Aug 3, 2018 #8 of 12
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yesterday I was watching a recording of The Late Show. I heard the EAS test noise and saw that the test was showing at the top of the recording. Only the audio was affected. There was a banner with the information. My CBS station has decided it will have its own alerts and there is no way to avoid them.

9. Aug 5, 2018 #9 of 12
    tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Every one of the big four networks where I live in both Ct and Fl have their own alerts and have for years. For some of you yours are just using them?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I saw it since there was no SM on The Late Show that night. The EAS Test may explain that.

tampa8 likes this.
  11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Then that's different from an EAS.. that's actually the network itself putting the info on their actual transmission..

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess the EAS test is not under copyright. :)