eBay S3 unit.....already activated. What to do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by steak, Jan 12, 2008.

1. steak

steak New Member

Jul 1, 2005

Advertisements

So I bought an S3 unit that has already been activated (but was supposed to be unopened.) What can I do about this? Can I call TIVO to transfer the unit ownership to me or am I screwed?

2. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Note that TiVo's CAN be activated without opening the box, as the TSN is printed on the outside as well.

Was this TiVo advertised as "new?" If so, complain to the seller that you paid money for a new unit that turned out to be used. If the seller refuses to take it back or give you a partial refund, complain to both eBay (and Paypal if you paid that way) since the item was "not as advertised."

If it's simply advertised as "unopened" without any mention of it being new and/or unactivated, unless it has Lifetime you are SOL as the ad technically was not misleading.

3. steak

steak New Member

Jul 1, 2005

it was advertised as being new. someone even asked if it was sealed and the seller said yes. I have an email into the seller regarding this. I paid via paypal and I can dispute this through them if necessary. I don't know what could be done except a credit or something like that.

How do I know if it has lifetime?

If it doesn't, will TIVO still allow me to transfer into my name? It is working but who knows for how long.

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    It would say "5:product lifetime Service" right there on the System Information screen.

What does your Tivo say on that screen anyways?

5. steak

steak New Member

Jul 1, 2005

Advertisements

3: Account in good standing

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Was the box sealed as advertised when you got it? Like previously mentioned, the TSN is on the outside of the box.

Why would someone preactivate an unopened Tivo? :confused:

Was this some sort of scam to show as being a Tivo customer in order to get lifetime on a TivoHD?

And if so, why do it with an expensive S3? For the rebate?

7. steak

steak New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    These are all good questions. The box was opened but the small box inside was sealed and all the other documentation was included (sealed I think.) The TIVO was in its orginal packaging on the inside and the protective film was still on the front. It looked like it had never been touched. When I booted it up it was clean.

I don't know the purpose. The price was $399 and advertised as brand new. The serial and UPC are still on the box. I am wondering if the thing is already activated what my options are. I was also hoping TIVO might honor the $200 rebate to boot (but that might be a stretch at this point.)

8. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I suspect your seller took the rebate for himself.

OneCall has them in stock for $579.99 - $200 rebate would still be $380. $400 and not having to deal with a rebate sounds like a good deal to me. But hopefully this works out for you.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=380945

9. ado

ado New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    I'm wondering if you could just go to tivo.com and activate the box as if it was not activated before. I would keep the box, I would hope you could transfer it to your name. If not good luck trying to dispute something with paypal, it's almost a lost cause. Got nearly $500 stolen from my paypal account and paypal refused to close the account but thankfully my bank took action.

10. gonefishin

gonefishin New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to Tivo, So I can't add much. But I can tell you that my Tivo was shipped preactivated from Tivo.

good luck!
    dan

11. steak

steak New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    yeah, that was my feeling exactly. I would rather not deal with the rebate mail-in if I don't have to.

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Yeah, but you paid for service when you bought it from Tivo.com.

13. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Is the seller not communicating with you? It may be in his best interest to keep channels open if he hasn't received his rebate yet. Or he is the one going to be screwed. ;)

14. shane_pcs

shane_pcs New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    yeah if it says account in good standing, why not just use it until they shut it off. If the guy ordered it preactivated he may be paying for it. They will always let you transfer it later.

15. steak

steak New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    TIVO.com won't allow me to activate an already activated unit.
    Sorry to hear about the PayPal issue you had. Let's hope I don't have to go down that road.

16. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Just call TiVo, they'll straighten it out. I could be an honest mistake!

17. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Even more evidence for your case against the seller, since he advertised it (by posting a question from another potential buyer) as being unopened.

However, if you only paid $399 for it, and it appears unused otherwise, and TiVo will let you re-activate it under your own account, it sounds like you actually got a bargain since you didn't have to wait several weeks for that rebate.

I would contact the seller, and politely explain that because the unit was already pre-activated, that you are having difficulties activating it under your own account, and if he/she could please terminate the service. However, since all recent TiVo account activations require a minimum one year commitment (whether pre-pay or month to month), you may have to wait for that to run out.

Even though it's technically against Terms of Service, if the seller refuses to take it back and refuses to remove his subscription on it, all you can do is just use up his service until it runs out or until he finally decides to stop paying for a TiVo he no longer has ;) At that point you can put the TiVo in your own name.

18. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    Is it possible that the seller simply activated the box, in the cheapest way possible, in order to refer himself and get TiVo points? If I recall correctly, you can get a new unit for, what, every 4-6 referrals? Depending on what it cost him to activate it, it might be a net win.

There's also the possibility that the TiVo was shipped, pre-activated, to someone else, and this bozo stole it off of their front doorstep to sell on eBay.