easy way to pull files from tivo and burn to playable dvd

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by tbohen, Feb 20, 2006.

1. tbohen

tbohen New Member

Dec 26, 2005

Advertisements

I have made a good effort to find an answer but everything I find seems to be kludgey and a pain, please tell me there is a better way.

Goal:
    Pull shows off of tivo and burn to a dvd that can be played in any dvd player.

I have installed the PTVnet hack software and played with assorted TYtools, but everything just seems to be a 15 step pain to do.

I don't really want to hook a DVD recorder up to the tivo because then I can't be watching anything else while the recording is going on.

Thanks in advance

2. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    This topic can not be discussed here.

3. Markman07

Markman07 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    Hold it right there!

LET ME SEE your HANDS!

You have the right to remain silent!
    Anything you say can and will be used against you in the .... I will TASER you.

Isn't it weird that their is a database that has deals?

4. tbohen

tbohen New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    ok I know the place that has deals on databases, but can someone at least give me a yes or know if my request is a possibility, or should I give up. If no one replies I wont keep pestering. :)

5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

if it wasn't possible we could talk about it. ;)
    Honsestly though if you've investigated tytool there isn't anything easier.

6. tbohen

tbohen New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Good point :)

I guess I was just hoping for a lot less work, it just seems to take so many steps, oh well guess I'm to lazy...

7. llurkin

llurkin New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die! :)

8. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    That's why long ago I decided on a standalone DVD recorder. I grew tired of so much 'hands on' just to make a personal DVD backup of a recording (and I'm a 'techie' so it's not a foreign thing to me).

You get in the habit of starting burns to DVD when you leave the house or go to bed at night.

9. texster

texster New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Connecticut
    Actually it's more like 8 or 10 steps, and that is if you use VideoReDo (which you should if you're going to make the effort at all).

Take a look at the writeup w/ pix done by weethet. Although it should not be used a substitute for the official release notes, it does give a nice "visual" of the process. Which may help the task look less daunting the first time around.

http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_extract_videos.php

Try it. You'll be glad you did.
    ;)

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    With the advent of TiVoToGo and commercial tools like the Sonic plug-in and VideoRedo, is that really still true? Is video extraction, when using tools like that, still taboo? It's getting to be a pretty hazy line ...

edit: as an example, what's the difference between the OP's question and this thread?

11. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    TTG is service that you pay for and the video that is pulled is converted to a media player file.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I'm making a guess here.......

So my guess is that the difference is that one way is legal where all other tools are not.

12. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    Let me chime in with Gunny.
    That verY tool is what I use to go directly to .mpg. The WeetHet Guide is a nice method, but give me the unedited .mpg. I then use MPEG Video Wizard to crop ends and ditch commercials. Then a DVD author program to finish and burn.

Three steps. Two of them exactly as I did them with an analog cature.

The bonus is DD 5.1 audio (when available). The downside is that where an HR10-250 does instantaneous (and lovely) downconversion to SD, I'm stuck with the massively time consuming downconversion via PC.

BUt no schlepping the TiVo to the computer room! :)

13. MartyBoy00

MartyBoy00 New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    I then use MPEG Video Wizard to crop ends and ditch commercials. Then a DVD author program to finish and burn.

Kimsan,

I am going to download a trial version because it looks VERY cool.. but $120... yikes.. :)

14. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I've asked about this before and the answer I got was TTG doesn't circumvent DRM but the other methods do.
    Although the talk about direct show dump has been allowed to remain so I dunno any more.

15. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    I did a ton of analog->mpeg2 captures with an ATI card (before I "came to the dark side";)) and found MVW to be well worth the money. The previews during editing are instantaneous as opposed to the editors in Ulead DMF or Nero 6 & 7. The output is streamed rather than re-encoded. It also handles HD res files and AC3 audio just as easily. Unfortunately it sucks for down-resing HD (which Ulead and Nero do okay).

If you already have a DAVID author program there's no need for their new MVW-DVD version. The $99 MVW has what you need.

16. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Buy a cheap DSR704 off ebay for 25 with free shipping. Hard drives are so cheap you can just archive the shows, I just bought a 200 gigger from Staples for $39. Do your PTVNet thing. When you have a bunch of shows you want to save stick a drive in the cheapo and copy the shows to the drive via MRV. Make a nice little index. When the drive is full just get another. You can watch those shows at any time and in Dolby Digital. No conversion needed. Just archiving.

17. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Or get a (nearly) free (only pay $15 for shipping) from DirecTV with their DVR4ME promotion.

18. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    I think its a bit of a crapshoot with the DVR4ME promotion. Some folks are getting R10's and others get units that are more functional.

BTW, I use VideoRedo for mpg editing and it is a fantastic tool.

19. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    Check out VideoReDo as well. At $49 it looks like a cheaper alternative to MVW with very similar capabilities.

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Where the decryption/DRM violation happens. With TTG, it happens on the PC, and the lline is decrypting the files with the likes of DSD, although the admins have been lax on enforcing that.
    With Ty, it happens on the DVR.