Easily unchecking all the channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Tipperton, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am preparing to switch cable TV providers and have a quick question.

For me it would be easier if all the channels started off as unchecked so all I'd have to do is check the channels I want instead of having to uncheck all the channels I don't want because of all the channel options available, I'm only interested in ten or so of them.

Since the default when a new cable card is inserted is to check all the channels, is there a way to uncheck all the channels at once instead of individually?

Thanks!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. But you can run through the list and give a thumbs up to those you want. Or with TE4, select favorites. Then set the guide to just show favorites.

3. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    That might work if all you use is the guide, but for using the channel up and down controls as well as searching by channel you would still have to go through all those unwanted channels, so that's not much of a solution.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    On my TE3 Bolt, when I use channel up/down, it only cycles through my Favorites when I have my guide set to display Favorites (checked channels I've given the thumbs up). It will cycle through all checked channels with up/down if I have the guide set to display My Channels.

I don't know what search by channel means.

5. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017

Advertisements

Search by Channel is the last entry in the Search, One Pass, and Manage menu. It allows you to search for programs on subsequent days by the channel it is on, it is useful to me because unlike the guide, it doesn't have live TV playing in the background which can make the screen reader a challenge to hear and understand.

To be honest I don't use the favorites feature so it might actually only show the favorites just as the channel up and down controls apparently do if you have the guide set to only show your favorites.

I guess I'll just have to go through the entire list of channels unchecking them all, at least the list advances to the next channel when you check or uncheck a channel, so it's just repeatedly hitting the select button through the entire list.

Still, it would have been nice if TiVo had provided check and uncheck all options in the channel list.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    KMTTG has some Channel List handling functions.

I've never looked in to that, but maybe...

-KP

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Gotha, never used it. I just tried it... by default, it scrolls through all channels, but hitting 'c' you can change it to only scroll through Favorites, like the guide.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Eh, the time you spent in this thread, you could have had it done. 900 or so clicks on the select button.

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. BilliJoe

BilliJoe Been around the block a few times

Oct 2, 2016
    Planet Earth
    kpeters59 likes this.
  10. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    What is KMTTG?

11. BilliJoe

BilliJoe Been around the block a few times

Oct 2, 2016
    Planet Earth
    kpeters59 likes this.
  12. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Actually it's not surprising because I don't try to hack my DVR or use any other third party software tools on it.

The only third party thing I might use with or on it is a Western Digital My Book DVR expander that so far I haven't needed to start using. I got it because I knew that they were no longer being made and this one was brand new, so I figured I'd better grab it just in case because I didn't think I'd run across another brand new one again.

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    See post after mine. I find the ten minutes or less it takes to uncheck and make favorites during GS doesn't kill my day. I have 200 channels, 50 My Channels and 20 Favorites. TE4 takes longer than TE3, but you only do it once. On the bright side, you don't have a Mini and TE3. :)

14. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    I agree, if you are sighted and can just read what's on the screen, but when you are blind and have to use the screen reader, it takes a lot longer. Especially when you can't change the speaking rate, I'm so used to computer speech now that I could speed it up quite a bit and still understand it.

You are right in that it only needs to be done once.

JoeKustra likes this.