Easiest way to swap a Premier being replaced under warranty?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by John Pane, Apr 10, 2011.

1. John Pane

John Pane New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    TiVo is sending me a new Premier unit under warranty. The fan in my unit started making a loud grinding sound. I would have been happy to just receive a replacement fan and install it myself (I am an electrical/computer engineer), but TiVo would not do this.

I'm interested in swapping these units with the minimum of programming hassle. Would either of these two ideas work?
    1) Swap the fans and keep my old unit with the new fan?
    2) Swap the hard drives and keep the new unit with my old hard drive?

I'm not deeply familiar with activation and identity of units, but the phone representative implied that the old box gets deactivated when the new box is activated. I don't know whether this happens when they ship or when I start the new device.

Thus, I would appreciate advice on whether either of these options would work without causing any problems with my service? Other suggestions on how I can save all of my settings including shows to record. I am less concerned about saving already-recorded programs.

If it matters, my computer is a Mac and I do not have Toast.

Thanks,
    John

2. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Season passes can be transferred using the web tool on tivo.com ... I'm pretty sure both units need to be active to do it, tho.

https://www3.tivo.com/apps/spm.do

3. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    In my case (and not a special case) the new box was activated immediately (when it left TiVo's dock) and the old box left hooked up for X weeks, thus meeting the web tool conditions.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    To save your programming, the only option is to transfer them to your computer.
    When you swap hard drives between Tivos, you have to perform a 'clear & delete everything' for it to work properly.
    In this situation, you wouldn't want to just swap parts. TiVo knows which DVR you are 'supposed' to have by the service number.

For alternative software to transfer your programming to your mac, check out the Tivo To Go forum.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You could have just gone out and bought a new fan for about $10
    There's been discussion about fans that have been tried that could help the decision making process. Someone in that discussion just took out the old fan and packed it with grease and put it back in.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=456669

6. John Pane

John Pane New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Thanks, all, for the helpful replies.

My take-away is that I should just switch to the new TiVo and not try to swap parts. I can save programs to my Mac and then move them to the new box. I might be able to move my Season Pass info using TiVo's web tool, if there is overlap in the activations. As for the rest of my settings, I guess I have to restore them manually.

If any of that's not right, please let me know.

7. John Pane

John Pane New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Well, they deactivated the old TiVo when they shipped the new one yesterday. I guess that means I can't even transfer my season passes.

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Did you check your tivo.com account to see if they're still in the online SP manager? I would think that they just did a change TSN, so there shouldn't be any changes as far as SP's are concerned.